cruzer1

Michael Wilbon: Rich Rod 'done'

We had a hard time hiring anyone before RR, who thinks we're getting a good coach if they fire RR now?

Les Miles was hired, but people at Ohio State called ESPN and told Kirk... Okay, I can't even say that with a straight face.

How hard was it really?

The rumors are that Miles would have come, but Bill Martin was out sailing and probably didn't want him. Schiano supposedly said yes (no confirmation) then changed his mind. Rodriguez said yes after saying no to Alabama the year before.

They offered two guys the job (again, based on rumor) and one of them took it. I don't see that as having a hard time filling the job. I suspect that if the job opened up again, they'd have their pick of candidates if they're willing to spend the money. And after the last few years of embarassment, I'm willing to bet that they're willing.

To me the difficulty - and maybe this is what you were getting at - will be in finding the right fit, which is probably a coach with a proven track record of sustained success at a big school. I'm not sure if they could pull any successful coach away from their school with the possible exception of Miles. Maybe Stoops? Certainly not Carroll, Meyer, Saban, etc.

Brian Kelly? If they wanted him, he'd come. Harbaugh? Who knows with all the baggage. Ferentz? Doubtful unless Lloyd has more power than we thought. Miles? I guarantee he'd come if they made him a decent offer.

If the job opened up again, I'd want Miles #1, Kelly #2, with Harbaugh being an intriguing #3.

I don't know why Miles would leave LSU. They are a better program then Michigan, he's the highest paid coach in the SEC. I know he's a "Michigan man", but still.

I don't know why Miles would leave LSU. They are a better program then Michigan, he's the highest paid coach in the SEC. I know he's a "Michigan man", but still.

Because he's a Michigan man. Bo Schembechler was his hero. He'd leave if they gave him comparable money.

Plus, competing against the Big Ten at a school with the recruiting cache of Michigan with a good recruiter like Miles ought to give him a better advantage than competing in the SEC.

I realize Louisiana gives him a natural advantage, but Michigan has Ohio and Pennsylvania in the neighborhood. They should be able to make serious use of them with someone like Miles.

The hard part is finding a good coach to come. Schiano sucks, Ferentz wouldn't come and he's not exactly an amazing coach himself. For whatever reason they couldn't get Les Miles and as you've said the Urban Meyer's of the world aren't coming.

The hard part is finding a good coach to come. Schiano sucks, Ferentz wouldn't come and he's not exactly an amazing coach himself. For whatever reason they couldn't get Les Miles and as you've said the Urban Meyer's of the world aren't coming.

Here's the rub, they could have had almost anyone they wanted 2 years ago, now it will be more difficult.

Everybody has a dream job. It becomes easier to chase that job when you have already made millions and will still be paid millions.

I know people like to think about "midwest types" wanting to come back, but I don't see it. If anything, "midwest types" want to get the hell out of the midwest! It's cold, boring, and economically depressed. If Urban Meyer was looking to go anywhere from Florida, it would be the NFL. He ain't comin' here, or Notre Dame, or Ohio State, yadda yadda yadda.

Meyer ain't a midwest guy aside form being born and raised in the midwest (if you call OH along Lake Erie 20 minutes from PA the midwest). Meyer is a Meyer guy, always has been, and I suspect that has not changed.

I agree that Meyer is not going to Michigan, now or anytime in the future, but I wouldn't be so sure that he might not end up being the next Buckeye coach when Tressel decides to retire. Meyer is a Buckeye graduate who grew up a die hard fan. He's never hid his love for the Buckeyes, even when they met a few years back. His wife and her family are all from the Columbus area and his family is scattered throughout the state. He even has a huge portrait of Woody Hayes at his home. CBSSports.com had an interesting interview a few weeks back, but it has mysteriously been removed from You Tube and from CBS Sports.

Meyer ain't going to OSU unless they drop a contract more lucrative than what he has at the time. Pure and simple.

Chasing the Nat'l Title 2 years ago made it tougher for Miles to say yes. If he were offered now, he'd come. So would Brian Kelly. I don't think any of it's going to happen. RichRod will be the coach in 2010.

I think that RR should be given next year, but will admit that I wouldn't complain if Brian Kelly were to be coaching in 2010.

How many other teams fan's are fawning over Kelly? Is it all over here just because he was at CMU and GVSU?

I've never understood this argument. If your alma mater asked you to come home and turn the program around - you wouldn't do it?

I would. In a heartbeat. And I moved to Texas after graduation because I hate that cold weather up there.

Meyer ain't a midwest guy aside form being born and raised in the midwest (if you call OH along Lake Erie 20 minutes from PA the midwest). Meyer is a Meyer guy, always has been, and I suspect that has not changed.

I'm a Bowling Green grad...Iknow all anbout Urban's committment to Urban. He negotiated an extension at BG and informed every media member who cared to cover the MAC (yep...all 12 of them) that he wasn't going anywhere, there was much yet to be done yadda yadda yadda...while his agent was out putting together the deal with Utah.

Nonetheless...IIRC, his Utah deal had a "walk away" provision for three jobs, Ohio State, Notre Dame and Michigan. I think ND would be his first choice..as it was when he first left Utah, but I don't see any reason to think he'd never consider the Michigan job.

How many other teams fan's are fawning over Kelly? Is it all over here just because he was at CMU and GVSU?

He's the hot coach right now all over the country. Every time UM and ND get brought up on the national talk radio shows, his name pops up.

Michigan is not going to fire Rodriguez after 2 years no matter what, look how long Charlie Weis has gotten, do you think Michigan and Notre Dame are pretty similar in circling the wagons and not firing people? Because I do.

Weis got extra time for one reason......$$$$$$$. If he didn't have that insane contract with the rediculous buyout, he would have been out sooner.

If the NCAA or Michigan determines there was a violation, then they can wash there hands of RR without it costing a dime. Yes, he deserves more time, but I see them canning him while they have the chance (assuming the NCAA finds something) rather than waiting a year and having to pay a buyout.

Chasing the Nat'l Title 2 years ago made it tougher for Miles to say yes. If he were offered now, he'd come. So would Brian Kelly. I don't think any of it's going to happen. RichRod will be the coach in 2010.

I think he was ready to come then.....on the heals of a title game. He would come in a heartbeat now, IMO. I could be wrong, but wasn't the whole deal back then that his people couldn't get in touch with the Michigan AD cause he was on a fishing trip with a booster, so he ended up signing the LSU extension that was on the table?

Wilbon: U-M 'stupid' if it doesn't give Rich Rodriguez more time | detnews.com | The Detroit News

Wilbon: U-M 'stupid' if it doesn't give Rich Rodriguez more time

Angelique S. Chengelis / The Detroit News

Ann Arbor -- Michael Wilbon, the Washington Post columnist and ESPN personality, said Wednesday he was not reporting a news story when he said earlier in the week he had it on good authority that Michigan coach Rich Rodriguez and Notre Dame coach Charlie Weis would be fired after this season.

Wilbon, appearing on ESPN radio Wednesday, said the sources of his information were boosters with whom he spent time the last two weekends.

"And I don't mean some whack jobs," Wilbon said, referring to the boosters, "but they believe they are going to get rid of these two coaches."

Wilbon spent most of the brief interview talking about Weis and Notre Dame, but he did say he believes Rodriguez deserves more time at Michigan.

"I think (getting fired) would be unfair to Rich Rodriguez, I do," Wilbon said. "You knew when you hired him -- well you should have if you're Michigan -- that he's going to go radically the other way. He's not going to sort of extend what Michigan had been accustomed to. Let him have his time to put this in or it was stupid to hire him."

I'm a Bowling Green grad...Iknow all anbout Urban's committment to Urban. He negotiated an extension at BG and informed every media member who cared to cover the MAC (yep...all 12 of them) that he wasn't going anywhere, there was much yet to be done yadda yadda yadda...while his agent was out putting together the deal with Utah.

Nonetheless...IIRC, his Utah deal had a "walk away" provision for three jobs, Ohio State, Notre Dame and Michigan. I think ND would be his first choice..as it was when he first left Utah, but I don't see any reason to think he'd never consider the Michigan job.

I think his number 1 choice would be Ohio State. But that job won't be open for a long time.

U of M is crazy if they fire or hire a football coach before they have a new AD in place.

This is likely RROD's saving grace. The trustees and president will not allow Bill Martin to spearhead another coaching search.

Here's the rub, they could have had almost anyone they wanted 2 years ago, now it will be more difficult.

2 years ago they were looking at Greg Schiano and Kirk Ferentz, if that's the definition of anyone they want, I hope they give Rodriguez 10 more years regardless of the results

2 years ago they were looking at Greg Schiano and Kirk Ferentz, if that's the definition of anyone they want, I hope they give Rodriguez 10 more years regardless of the results

I think Kirk Ferentz is a very good coach and a lot better than RRod.

Michigan is not going to fire Rodriguez after 2 years no matter what, look how long Charlie Weis has gotten, do you think Michigan and Notre Dame are pretty similar in circling the wagons and not firing people? Because I do.

How do we know how Michigan is in circling the wagons? We have never really had a coach go 3-9 and 5-7 before. So this is uncharted waters. So to say you know a school like Michigan would never cut bait after two years is a little off base. We have never had a unsuccessful coach before! Not in my life time. I was born in 1973. Richrod is breaking a lot of trends.

I think his number 1 choice would be Ohio State. But that job won't be open for a long time.

I dunno...the people in BG that knew him the best say Urban Meyer is a Notre Dame guy at heart...

I guess Rich Rod isn't going anywhere. I wanted to wait till after players were signed for next year, and see if Michigan didn't pull out a list of NCAA offenses and fire him, but is seems that they are going to stick with him at least till next year.

We'll see if he makes it through the season. I certainly hope so. I don't want Michigan to start rebuilding again with a new coach...of course if Rich Rod isn't the man for the job, the sooner the rebuilding starts, the sooner Michigan can hopefully get back to being a Big 10 powerhouse! :classic: