cruzer1

Michael Wilbon: Rich Rod 'done'

Michael Wilbon: Rich Rod 'done' | freep.com | Detroit Free Press

Posted: Nov. 17, 2009

Extra points

Michael Wilbon: Rich Rod 'done'

How important is Saturday's Ohio State game to Rich Rodriguez's future in Ann Arbor?

According to ESPN's Michael Wilbon, it might be too late.

Monday on Tony Kornheiser's radio show, Wilbon pronounced Rodriguez done at Michigan -- and Charlie Weis the same at Notre Dame.

"I had a solo conversation with someone who is affiliated with the current coach at Michigan, and he does not believe for a second that he'll be back," Wilbon said.

When Kornheiser said a coach with Rodriguez's résumé surely should get another year to right the program, Wilbon stuck by his source.

"I was stunned by this conversation, which was Saturday, an hour-and-a-half after that (Wisconsin) game," Wilbon said. "And he says that he would bet me right now -- took his wallet out and threw it down -- that this is not going to happen.

"I'll just tell you, this guy played for Rich Rod."

Brian's take:

Since Orson and Dr. Saturday have both pinged me about this assertion from Michael Wilbon captured by On The DL's Dan Levy…
Mike Wilbon just said on Kornheiser's radio show that 'on pretty good authority' both Charlie Weis and Rich Rodriguez are both 'done.'

6 minutes ago from TweetDeck

…let me make a futile attempt to stop the rumor storm coming down the pike. At this point if there were things afoot in the athletic department, someone would mention it to me. I don't have anything in the inbox suggesting that Rodriguez is in trouble, which is about as good as a denial when the idea in question is firing a football coach with Rodriguez's track record and a four million dollar buyout after two years.

Mike Wilbon doesn't know what he's talking about and is irresponsibly throwing stuff on the wall to see what sticks because he heard from a friend of a friend who's got a guy who says he doesn't like Rodriguez. This is almost literally the case:

He says he talked to a guy who played for Rich Rod who 'threw his wallet down' and would bet it all

So… yeah: Wilbon is asserting that Rich Rodriguez is "done" because one of his old players has a hunch. Sounds rock solid to me.

NYC radio host Mike Francessa did the same thing a couple days ago. Insert default complaint about laughable assertion that mainstream journalists are more responsible with facts here.

[uPDATE: I forgot to mention the delicious comparison between Wilbon on Weis—one of the all time slam-dunk predictions—and that guy on Bleacher Report* who asserted "inside sources" told him Weis was fired after the Navy game. In other news, Allies favored to win WWII. Wilbon == Bleacher Report.

Don't Take This Michael Wilbon Rumor Seriously | mgoblog

Wilbon is a hack. Ever since he said people with no media credentials aren't authorized to talk sports, I've lost all respect for him.

Wilbon is a hack. Ever since he said people with no media credentials aren't authorized to talk sports, I've lost all respect for him.

That aside, it is a fun story.

I do wonder if this "there are no logs" bit will make him the scapegoat though. Hard to still defend a guy who said they did everything by the rules and then failed to follow the simple rule of logging and filing the times

I remember his blogosphere rant, and considering the context around this "story"...Absolutely...Hilarious.

On a more serious note, I just can't see how the University can afford to cut bait with Rodriguez at this juncture. For all intents and purposes, I think they're tied to him barring any major NCAA or behavioral hulabaloo.

Edited by lionstigersand...

Michigan is not going to fire Rodriguez after 2 years no matter what, look how long Charlie Weis has gotten, do you think Michigan and Notre Dame are pretty similar in circling the wagons and not firing people? Because I do.

I agree, the only way he goes anywhere is if major sanctions come down from the ncaa

This is pretty accurate. Although, next year he needs to get into a bowl game, at the very least.

Wilbon is a Joke he always has some inside source that never seems to pan out right... And hes one of these "sportswriters" that are too close to athlete that he covers, so in his opinion a pro athlete can do no wrong.

Michigan is not going to fire Rodriguez after 2 years no matter what, look how long Charlie Weis has gotten, do you think Michigan and Notre Dame are pretty similar in circling the wagons and not firing people? Because I do.

Comparing yourself to ND isn't a positive, they haven't won anything, in any sport in ions and now are clueless how to go about it.

I've never seen a year without a bowl game, let alone 2 or 3, so whether they will can someone for losing isn't something we have anything to reference

but..... didn't their prior 2 coaches have much less time than Weis?

Comparing yourself to ND isn't a positive, they haven't won anything, in any sport in ions and now are clueless how to go about it.

I didn't say it was a positive, but they both have the same old school approach in the athletic department imo

That's definitely not always a good thing, but I think it is in this case. (As long as they don't let it drag on for two or three more years of course)

edit; Even Willingham got three years at ND, and the second and third were a lot like Rodriguez' years at Michigan.

It is an interesting story. I think they should give RichRod another year, but it's been a tumultuous 2 years already. If you couple all of the allegations regarding practice, from too many hours to not filling in logs, with the poor performance on the field against the Big Ten, I wouldn't be shocked if they cut bait. I'm not saying I'd do that, but I wouldn't be shocked.

I'd be suprised...then again, I'm equally suprised that he's kept the redshirt on some talented freshman defenders when the bigest hurdle he faces (if the Rich Rod apologists are to be believed) is a lack of talent on defense.

I think he's a good coach. I think he started out in a difficult spot at UM...being an "outsider" who tailors everything to a wacky offense typically run by smaller schools or....gack...Purdue and Northwestern (yes..I know, his variant of the spread differs from those two). I think you have to give him another year to really judge him. The conventional wisdom used to be that you give a coach five years to judge him...but at a larger school like UM that can compete for recruits nationally, I think it's fair to think that the talent should be in place to win within three years.

All bets are off if the NCAA drops the hammer and I don't think it needs to be for a "major" infraction. A few smaller infracions that point to a lack of control and accountabilty might be enough to convince a new AD to give Brian Kelley or Urban Meyer a yell. I think Urbie would LOVE to get back to the Midwest

Stanford coach Jim Harbaugh won't get into Michigan football speculation | freep.com | Detroit Free Press

Stanford coach Jim Harbaugh won't get into Michigan football speculation

Standford football coach Jim Harbaugh, a former Michigan quarterback, was asked today on Sirius XM's "Mad Dog Radio" about the possibility that he would be a candidate if U-M coach Rich Rodriguez were fired.

Here's that portion of the exchange, according to a transcript provided by a Sirius spokesperson:

Host Bruce Murray: “You are a hot prospect now in college football. You are going to be sought after. Do you have outs to go to other jobs should they present themselves in your contract?”

Jim Harbaugh: “Well, I love Stanford and I love the football players here and the coaches here. I’m not going to specifically discuss my contract but I hope to have the honor of coaching here, Bruce, for a very long time.”

Murray: “But you’ve heard the rumors and I’m not saying that you would entertain it. You know if something doesn’t work out with Rich Rodriguez at Michigan, as an alum you’re going to be called by them … ”

Harbaugh: “Let me just stop you right there, Bruce. This is big game week. This is Cal week, and as you would understand, all my focus and our focus has to be on that. So if we’re going to keep going into this I’ve got other things that are more pressing. … This week is just one of those weeks where the focus really has to be on the game we’ve got coming up.”

Wait a second, regardless of Rich Rod's status in the program, we're taking something said by a guy who makes Kornheiser look good on TV, seriously?

I have a hard time believing anyone who holds a cardboard cutout in front of his face and pretends to be someone else on national TV.

I'd be suprised...then again, I'm equally suprised that he's kept the redshirt on some talented freshman defenders when the bigest hurdle he faces (if the Rich Rod apologists are to be believed) is a lack of talent on defense.

I think he's a good coach. I think he started out in a difficult spot at UM...being an "outsider" who tailors everything to a wacky offense typically run by smaller schools or....gack...Purdue and Northwestern (yes..I know, his variant of the spread differs from those two). I think you have to give him another year to really judge him. The conventional wisdom used to be that you give a coach five years to judge him...but at a larger school like UM that can compete for recruits nationally, I think it's fair to think that the talent should be in place to win within three years.

All bets are off if the NCAA drops the hammer and I don't think it needs to be for a "major" infraction. A few smaller infracions that point to a lack of control and accountabilty might be enough to convince a new AD to give Brian Kelley or Urban Meyer a yell. I think Urbie would LOVE to get back to the Midwest

There is no way in hell that Urban Meyer would ever come to Michigan.

I know people like to think about "midwest types" wanting to come back, but I don't see it. If anything, "midwest types" want to get the hell out of the midwest! It's cold, boring, and economically depressed. If Urban Meyer was looking to go anywhere from Florida, it would be the NFL. He ain't comin' here, or Notre Dame, or Ohio State, yadda yadda yadda.

There is no way in hell that Urban Meyer would ever come to Michigan.

I know people like to think about "midwest types" wanting to come back, but I don't see it. If anything, "midwest types" want to get the hell out of the midwest! It's cold, boring, and economically depressed. If Urban Meyer was looking to go anywhere from Florida, it would be the NFL. He ain't comin' here, or Notre Dame, or Ohio State, yadda yadda yadda.

I agree that Meyer is not going to Michigan, now or anytime in the future, but I wouldn't be so sure that he might not end up being the next Buckeye coach when Tressel decides to retire. Meyer is a Buckeye graduate who grew up a die hard fan. He's never hid his love for the Buckeyes, even when they met a few years back. His wife and her family are all from the Columbus area and his family is scattered throughout the state. He even has a huge portrait of Woody Hayes at his home. CBSSports.com had an interesting interview a few weeks back, but it has mysteriously been removed from You Tube and from CBS Sports.

Edited by MrDeeds

We had a hard time hiring anyone before RR, who thinks we're getting a good coach if they fire RR now?

Les Miles was hired, but people at Ohio State called ESPN and told Kirk... Okay, I can't even say that with a straight face.