caseyo4

Granderson now on the block too?

I absolutely HATE that idea. Granderson is a town fave and a great talent in CF. When have the Tigers had a better Centerfielder? Better, not equal. It's been years and years.

Is there another one in the minors? Man, I just the hate the idea. Not to mention just putting his name out there really blows.

Basically, everyone is available on our roster except Miggy, Porcello and Verlander. If the right deal comes along, DD will pull the trigger on just about everybody. This is not surprising.

I think this can be a good move, if done correctly. I honestly don't think this team can be capable of winning on 2010. If they can get younger and get ahead of other teams in preparing for 2011, I think that would be a good idea.

Granderson is a very good player. And given his reasonable contract, they could get quite a bit in return. But it needs to be for future pieces, not bullpen help like Henning wants.

I think this can be a good move, if done correctly. I honestly don't think this team can be capable of winning on 2010. If they can get younger and get ahead of other teams in preparing for 2011, I think that would be a good idea.

Granderson is a very good player. And given his reasonable contract, they could get quite a bit in return. But it needs to be for future pieces, not bullpen help like Henning wants.

Austin Jackson would be that future piece.

A top 5 CF for "bullpen help"? Uhhh, yeah.

This isn't even up to the level of a rumor. I mean, they aren't even suggesting *who* the trade might even possibly be for, except mentioning Austin Jackson. Obviously it wouldn't be straight up for Jackson, whose theoretical ceiling is probably a good bit lower than Granderson's performance in 2007/08/09.

I'd think Jackson and Hughes would be the minimum, and that's only if you think Hughes can get back in the rotation regularly.

Rob

Edited by RobSk

This.

Trading a top CF for bullpen help is ridiculous -- sometimes Henning has some good ideas but other times he's a little off the deep end.

UGH is right....I absolutely hate the idea.

What if the return was Madison Bumgarner and Conor Gillaspie from the Giants?

Or Wood, Conger and Reckling from the Angels?

Or Cashner, Vitters and Castro from the Cubs?

What if the return was Madison Bumgarner and Conor Gillaspie from the Giants?

Or Wood, Conger and Reckling from the Angels?

Or Cashner, Vitters and Castro from the Cubs?

Madbum is overrated, Conor Gillaspie is a borderline prospect.

Brandon Wood is out of options and hasn't adjusted. Reckling has K/BB issues, and Conger's numbers aren't that great once you adjust for park.

Cashner also has K/BB warning signs, Vitters really isn't great, and Castro isn't exactly a stud.

No on all three counts.

Who in the world would the Yankees give us for Curtis?

The guys they have are all bought with a huge price, I don't see anyone they have coming to the Tigers that would make this a good deal.......

Everyone should be on the block all the time is how I look at it. Id always see what I could get for my players, doesnt mean they get traded, but I would always be willing to hear offers.

Like Jackson, IMHO I do not think this is salary related. As mentioned here alot comes off the books after 2010 (Maggs if no vest, Willis, Bondo, Robertson, etc.) they are more than likely listening to see IF they get a really GOOD offer for either while they have high value, it cannot hurt to listen.

You should not deal either (IMHO) unless this is the case.

Prospects.

W H O?

We would honestly trade Curtis for prospects? prospects?

for Granderson -- HL no !!

When Austin Jackson is your #2 prospect, you're in big trouble. None of their top 20 prospects are very good.......this would be horrible.

I'd think to trade a very affordable contract and person such as Curtis, we'd get a front line starting pitcher and a ML caliber player in return

Their front line starting pitchers are not good fits for the Tigers for various reasons

I'd hate to see my favorite Tiger since Whitaker and Trammell traded. if he was traded, I would hope it's to a team where I could root for and wish him success. Seeing him traded to the Yankees would be a huge disappointment. That being said, The New York post isn't the best source. Sherman may have just heard the Jackson rumor, read one of Henning's columns and concluded that Granderson could be going too.

Some are excited at the prospects of rebuilding but I don't like it this time. A team in a weak division with an owner who has been very willing to spend shouldn't have to trade away players like Granderson and Jackson and go into rebuilding mode. It's fun seeing teams with small payrolls every year get creative and do stuff like this but it would be pretty embarrassing for the Tigers given how much money they have spent.

Of course, nothing has happened yet so we'll just have to wait and see.

This team isn't in the same category as NY/Philly/Angels/Boston............and the roster construct we've all been waiting for to change was scheduled to take place next year.

Why not listen to offers for a few of your more tradeable assets that have question marks around them, now...........?

The return has to be in our favor. If they are starting a fire sale because of the bad contracts, then DD will take what he gets. However, the fans will turn on Illitch and DD for doing that. I have to say this is some sort of baseless rumor brought out to stoke the off season fires. Granderson would be hard to trade away due to on the field and off the field value. No team is going to offer fair value, believing the Tigers are in dire striats to trade away a Granderson and or Jackson, and will take what they can get.

I like the idea of rebuilding for one year, and after all the contracts come off the books, add to the new/young core you have created. We need to get younger!

I think this is just a situation where, similar to Jackson, you listen to what people have to offer. There's no down side to that. I'd be pretty surprised if we moved Granderson. It seems to me that we'd be trading him at a low point, and we have no heir apparent to CF. To me that makes a trade nearly impossible to pull off.

To me, the Jackson and Granderson speculation is not news. The media, largely NY and LA based, always throws trade speculation out there whereby their teams take everyone's best players in return for marginal prospects and middle relievers. This is nothing new. I've come to expect this. The only thing different is that we gaffed a 3 game lead with 4 to go, so the media is now circling us like vultures.

A top 5 CF for "bullpen help"? Uhhh, yeah.

This isn't even up to the level of a rumor. I mean, they aren't even suggesting *who* the trade might even possibly be for, except mentioning Austin Jackson. Obviously it wouldn't be straight up for Jackson, whose theoretical ceiling is probably a good bit lower than Granderson's performance in 2007/08/09.

I'd think Jackson and Hughes would be the minimum, and that's only if you think Hughes can get back in the rotation regularly.

Rob

Not to be a buzz kill, but guys who hit .249 with neutral fielding metrics are not top 5 CF.

His split vs LHP has had 5 years to imporve it hasn't. If somebody wants to overpay for Curtis Granderson, I'm listening.