eastside billee

Edwin to be l-o-o-n-g gone?

John Lackey, Randy Wolf, Rich Harden, Jarrod Washburn, Jason Marquis and Joel Pineiro.

Those are your FA pitchers. The first three are preferable to Edwin Jackson, they have their warts, but only cost money.

But really, after Lackey who is a better, more cost efficient option that EJ, if you need a starting pitcher. The Tigers would be wise to wait a little bit, let a pitcher or two sign or be moved and then Jackson's value should actually increase.

I would agree the 1st 2 are preferable on the "only money" basis....given Harden's history I don't know if I'd lump him with them.

I didn't realize Max was 25 already, figured he was younger.

Sounds like Scherzer is still considered to have upside beyond what he did in 2009, so in that sense Max is still an "unfinished" product, and that's why I would definitely trade Jackson for him. In my original post that's really what I meant - Jackson isn't going to get any better than 2009, but Max could be a true ace if he stays healthy and continues to refine his command.

Why would Scherzer who is only 1 year younger than Jackson be an "unfinished" product and Jackson "isn't going to get any better than 2009"? I would think they both have a lot to learn. Jackson was originally drafted as an OF by the Dodgers & was later converted to pitcher.

Why would Scherzer who is only 1 year younger than Jackson be an "unfinished" product and Jackson "isn't going to get any better than 2009"? I would think they both have a lot to learn. Jackson was originally drafted as an OF by the Dodgers & was later converted to pitcher.

I do like Scherzer better because of his k rate but I had the same thought as you. It's hard to know what Jackson is going to do next but based on his age and the improvement he has made over the last couple of years, I certainly would not rule out his getting better or at least repeating 2009 which was pretty good overall. Just because he did his bad pitching in the second half does not mean he's going to be bad next year too.

I'm thinking what Jackson did in the first half is his ceiling, and if he does that over a full season, that's a pretty darned good ceiling. But from what I've heard about Scherzer his ceiling may be even higher? I sure don't see Jackson ever having 9.2 K's per nine innings, for example.

I'm thinking what Jackson did in the first half is his ceiling, and if he does that over a full season, that's a pretty darned good ceiling. But from what I've heard about Scherzer his ceiling may be even higher? I sure don't see Jackson ever having 9.2 K's per nine innings, for example.

I think it might be. When you see Jackson pitch, you think "oh, he's got nice stuff". When you see Scherzer pitch, you think "holy ****, his stuff is nasty". Hard sinking fastball with late movement. The ole heavy ball catchers dread catching.

Scherzer has some wicked stuff and misses bats, that being said, he still posted a 4.16 in the NL which isn't real solid.

I'm not an EJ lover, but lets not make Scherzer into something he's not.

Scherzer has some wicked stuff and misses bats, that being said, he still posted a 4.16 in the NL which isn't real solid.

I'm not an EJ lover, but lets not make Scherzer into something he's not.

His FIP was a bit better than that at 3.87. Many more strikeouts and a walk rate that is passable right now. I think Jackson's walk rate is going to get back to 3.5 or so next season, and that combined with a league average strikeout rate just doesn't bode as well as Scherzer would.

It should be noted that the average NL FIP was 4.19. The average AL FIP was 4.45. Max's FIP would still be better than Jackson's if you want to apply that adjustment factor, but the difference would only be .13 (4.13 to 4.26). The AL is also, quite simply, the better league and has better overall players in it. That would need to be accounted for when comparing a pitcher from the NL to a pitcher from the AL. Jackson also pitched more innings, and had a higher WAR.

All that said, I would still take Scherzer going forward. The much higher K/9 rate should bode well and he does have the better FIP, xFIP and tRA. Even considering all of the differences between the two leagues, Scherzer has the higher upside and we would have him under team control for longer. I'm not sure if this offer is even on the table or if we would have to include another player in it. I guess we will find out in a little while. I do have a feeling that Jackson is going to be dealt at some point, though.

If the earlier reports were right, it was the Mariners who turned that deal down, not the Tigers. Take your time DD, there's no reason to rush this thing.

Edwin Jackson

Edwin Jackson-S- Tigers Dec. 7 - 7:24 am et

Bob Nightengale of USA Today writes that "most executives" think Edwin Jackson will soon be traded by the Tigers.

The Tigers recently declined a trade that would have brought them Brandon Morrow and Shawn Kelley from the Mariners, but Jackson's name continues to "fly around the lobby" at the winter meetings, according to Nightengale. The 26-year-old right-hander made $2.3 million in arbitration in 2009 and is under team control through 2011.

Source: Bob Nightengale on Twitter

4) Do the Yankees have their eye on the Tigers?

Detroit GM Dave Dombrowski will be a popular man this week, as teams will be sure to inquire about Curtis Granderson, Edwin Jackson and other potential trade targets. The Yankees are interested in both players, though Jackson - a 26-year-old righthander who had a breakout season in 2009 - is the most intriguing.

He could be a much cheaper alternative if they opt not to trade for Halladay, and while he doesn't have the same track record, he is six years younger than the Toronto ace.

Read more: As winter meetings begin, Yankees GM Brian Cashman might not shop pricey free agents

Why would Arizona be willing to trade Scherzer?

I don't see it...

That's my thought. That's why I said if the DBacks would trade Scherzer even up for Jackson, I'd do it, even though I'm in no rush to trade Jackson. The only thing Arizona would get is some experience and I'm not sure Jackson's track record is impressive enough to trade for an arm like Scherzer's. Scherzer's up-side is better than Jackson's.

BTW, sportz, donuts are as good as bacon. I have often wondered about a bacon-wrapped donut. Or maybe it could have bacon on the inside, or bacon sprinkled on it. Might be the best thing ever.

Bacon Donut:

Nickel Diner: I Can Haz Bacon Donut?! - LAist

My cousin was telling me about this place and it made me think of this thread. I thought she said it was cut in half with bacon in the center, but this picture looks more like it's sprinkled on top.