EppOnite

Tracking the AL Central

So, you really think that Gomez is more valuable than both Clete and Wilkin?

WOW, quite honestly, between the three of them, I'd put Gomez in the 3rd slot. Overall, he's not as good as either of those two in my estimation*, but, what do I know about evaluating talent (www.TeamFloridaUSA.com/alumni)

I was surprised (and honestly) disappointed to read in an article that the Milwaukee general manager Doug Melvin didn't even contact the Tigers because..."“I was looking specifically for a center fielder or pitching that was low (in) salary and low (in) service time,” Melvin wrote. “I did not see a match so I did not call (the Tigers).”

.........he really missed on that evaluation...IMHO

*my estimation of Gomez: fastest player in ML baseball. Raw beyond becoming a true baseball player. Talent to die for, but, can't hit a lick, misreads and misplays balls at a far to high rate to make up for the misread with athleticism alone and will never be a contributing factor at the plate = PASS. Let someone else waste their time in thinking they can make him a real baseball player. He's an unbelievably gifted athlete that plays baseball.

Mike..doesn't matter what we think, only matters what Doug Melvin thinks.

What are the chances of the Tigers making a run for Orlando Cabrera in this ?

Bad fielder. Bad hitter. Why on earth would we want Edgar Renteria again?

Rob

Gomez has more reputation and skill set than production. Wilkin Ramirez is the player who fits that profile. Would you have made that deal. I mean Hardy hit .229 in the NL and will cost 4.5MM or more.

Can't fault DD on this because Milwaukee controlled the deal, did you want to offer Edwin Jackson, thought not.

Are you suggesting that you would NOT trade Ramirez for Hardy?

I'd do that in a second. Indeed, I can't think of an outfielder in our system not worth the chance of getting a guy that's like to be in the .725-.750 range on offense, and consistently is an excellent fielder.

Rob

He's saying Milwaukee wouldn't have wanted Ramirez, which I agree. It wouldn't have taken Edwin Jackson though, but we weren't a match.

In other AL Central news, theTwins have exercised their 2011 option for Michael Cuddyer. They had until five days after the 2009 World Series to either pick up or decline the option. Cuddyer will earn $10.5MM in 2011 instead of a $1MM buyout

I'd do that in a second. Indeed, I can't think of an outfielder in our system not worth the chance of getting a guy that's like to be in the .725-.750 range on offense, and consistently is an excellent fielder.

Rob

One is a major leaguer who can play a standout CF, the other is an enigma rapped in a maybe.

One is a major leaguer who can play a standout CF, the other is an enigma rapped in a maybe.

Actually Gomez is both of those.

Melvin's comments got me to wondering whether he might have been interested in Gorkys Hernandez in place of Gomez. If so, then the Tigers could have had both Jair Jurrjens and JJ Hardy had they not traded for Renteria.

Hindsight's wonderful, isn't it?

Really? Once again, and not for the last time, I am sure, but if we didn't trade him to Atlanta, JJ would have gone to Florida.

Commonsense .. yes, it's a wonderful thing, isn't it?

Melvin's comments got me to wondering whether he might have been interested in Gorkys Hernandez in place of Gomez. If so, then the Tigers could have had both Jair Jurrjens and JJ Hardy had they not traded for Renteria.

ahhh..NO. One has a major league resume, one has a AA resume and not that god a AA resume. It's not close. Hernandez isn't even a top 100 prospect anymore.

Really? Once again, and not for the last time, I am sure, but if we didn't trade him to Atlanta, JJ would have gone to Florida.

Commonsense .. yes, it's a wonderful thing, isn't it?

JB you have mentioned this before and it's 100% correct.

ahhh..NO. One has a major league resume, one has a AA resume and not that god a AA resume. It's not close. Hernandez isn't even a top 100 prospect anymore.

He never really was, people missed that evaluation. Very badly....

Edited by baseball3

I'm not sure he would be at all. He's bad with the glove lately and his bat isn't good either.

American League Leaderboards » 2009 » Shortstops » Value Statistics | FanGraphs Baseball

Fangraphs says this: Everett's glove saved as many runs above average as Cabrera's bat gave away below average, and Cabrera's glove gave away twice as many runs below average as Everett's bat did.

Plus, you factor in the fact that Rick Porcello needs good infield defense to succeed, plus some other fudge factors like shorter innings for pitchers because of better defense, and I'd rather have Everett back than Orlando Cabrera, assuming something close to their performances from last season.

If I didn't agree with this post so much, I would argue it just to get to see the Mad Eric once more this year. :classic:

Your points are solid and right on. The only thing I could add? Do you think it's probable for Everett to stay healthy again for an entire season? I think Leyland did a much better job keeping him fresh than he's given credit for. I don't like many of Jimmy's moves, but he did a very good job of limiting Everett's innings.

Since the Tigers have a gaping hole in the middle of their infield, it makes sense that they would first be looking to find someone better than Everett at ss before they go after a FA. Woods would be available if Figgens leaves the Angels, Brignac will probably be available regardless of FA. Although I suppose neither would compare to Everett in the field.

The Tigers aren't free to look at 2b until Placido makes his decision on arbitration.

Since the Tigers have a gaping hole in the middle of their infield, it makes sense that they would first be looking to find someone better than Everett at ss before they go after a FA. Woods would be available if Figgens leaves the Angels, Brignac will probably be available regardless of FA. Although I suppose neither would compare to Everett in the field.

The Tigers aren't free to look at 2b until Placido makes his decision on arbitration.

I dont think Brignac would come all that cheap. I could see Tampa starting him at second, Bartlett at short and use Zobrist as a super utillity player again.

Doug Melvin didnt call Dombrowski, whats troubling is that it doesnt sound like D.D called Melvin. Yeah, Hardy is coming off of a down year and is owed a decent amount of money but hes still worth kicking the tires on.

I dont that the Tigers would of been able to get it done anyways. We dont have much young pitching that we would want to part with. Wilkin Ramirez is not a center fielder and has been described as brutal as a corner outfielder. Casper Wells is...well, probley wouldnt be as high of a prospect in most other systems.

I believe Carlos Gomez is better then Clete Thomas. He is younger then Clete Thomas, and has a much greater skill set. Thomas has more power but Gomez has speed, and is rated as a better defender in center. Carlos Gomez was the centerpiece of the Johan Santana trade, and has been ranked highly on prospect lists for years. Clete Thomas was a fringe prospect in a weak system before he cracked the top 10 in 2008 and then got a injury to make the major league roster and put him on the map. Not that I dislike Clete Thomas but I believe that most in the game of baseball value Gomez and his skill set more then that of Clete Thomas.

Minnesota had been linked to Hardy for a few years so it isnt a surprise to see them get him. I see Escobar in Milwaukee having a rookie season much like that of Elvis Andrus this year in Texas.

Zobrist as a super utillity player again.

Not unless super utility equates to starting somewhere every single day. Zobrist proved that he's a high impact everyday player and he quite possibly was their MVP this year. Their outfield is loaded, so there's no reason for him not to be the everyday second baseman. Brignac is the odd man out unless they want to use him in the utility role.

Not unless super utility equates to starting somewhere every single day. Zobrist proved that he's a high impact everyday player and he quite possibly was their MVP this year. Their outfield is loaded, so there's no reason for him not to be the everyday second baseman. Brignac is the odd man out unless they want to use him in the utility role.

That's how I see it. Tampa either has to start him or his value will decline to that of a utility player. Since he is not a proven stater I see him being traded based upon his potential this winter.

Zobrist played 152 games last year and was one of the top players in Major League Baseball so how is he not a proven starter? They could stick him at 2B and have him play every day at one position but that wouldn't make him a better or more valuable player.

Zobrist played 152 games last year and was one of the top players in Major League Baseball so how is he not a proven starter? They could stick him at 2B and have him play every day at one position but that wouldn't make him a better or more valuable player.

I was talking about Brignac. Sorry that wasn't clear.