Johnny Mac

NIKE Pro Combat Uniforms

Nike again is trying to make huge changes to college football uniforms. Texas, Ohio State and Florida State will be wearing the new uniform designs for their November 21st games this month.

I dont think either Texas or Ohio St have released their uniforms officially yet, but here are leaked photos.

Texas

Texas_Royal_uniform_1.jpg

Ohio State

osu1954jersey.jpg

Florida State officially released theirs today

fsuy.jpg

combatj.jpg

Florida State University Official Athletic Site

there is a video in that link on what is different about these uniforms and the benefits.

Outside the benefits, they look kind of ugly to me. The gloves however are awesome. I wonder how OSU and Texas gloves will look and if they have a similar look.

gloves.jpg

Those hideous Ohio State jerseys are not the ones that they are wearing in the Michigan game. Instead they will be wearing 1954 throwback uniforms that include a white helmet. I was also told by an insider in the athletic department that Michigan will also be wearing throwbacks for the game, despite their affiliation with Adidas.

Those hideous Ohio State jerseys are not the ones that they are wearing in the Michigan game. Instead they will be wearing 1954 throwback uniforms that include a white helmet. I was also told by an insider in the athletic department that Michigan will also be wearing throwbacks for the game, despite their affiliation with Adidas.

That photo came from the Cleveland Plains Dealer website and if you look at the link its says its the 1954 jersey.

Also this says that is the jersey they are wearing

Buckeyes will feature a 'throwback' look for Michigan showdown: Ohio State Insider | Ohio State Buckeyes - cleveland.com - - cleveland.com

SPORTSbyBROOKS » Ohio St. To Wear White Helmets With Throwbacks

Apparently that photo was posted by former Buc Brandon Smith on his twitter saying that is what they are wearing against UM

They arent throwbacks, all the Jerseys are supposed to be honoring something. The OSU jersey was inspired by the 1954 team, The Noles jersey was inspired by the Unconquered Seminoles tribe and Im not sure what Texas is honoring.

I've been told that pic is bogus. It was a part of several different prototypes that Nike introduced to Ohio State this spring. If you notice, you can see the sleeve of a different jersey in that photo that has a different stripe pattern.

Here's the real 1954 jersey

Ar0390900.gif?t=1257400556

If Michigan does go with a throwback jersey, what will they wear? Will it be pre winged helmet?

Like I said, Ohio St said they will wear a jersey to honor the 1954 team, they didnt say they will be wearing the 1954 jerseys. These jerseys by NIKE are called a tradition set or something . Well, we will know for sure in a week or two when OSU unveils their Jerseys

Headlinin': Ohio State plans throwback threads for Michigan - Dr. Saturday - NCAAF - Yahoo! Sports

Buckeyes go 'Mad Men.' After word began to leak out earlier this week that Ohio State had some kind of alternate uniform in store for "The Game" at Michigan on Nov. 21, the school confirmed Wednesday that it will be rolling out throwback jerseys to honor the 1954 national champions in Ann Arbor. And not just any throwback jerseys, but "a new uniform product featuring cutting-edge fabrics and technology," of course, courtesy of Nike. The unis won't be available for public viewing until the Sunday before the game, Nov. 15, but a mock-up reportedly leaked on Twitter doesn't exactly resemble the duds Heisman winner Howard "Hopalong" Cassady wore back in the day:

Like I said, Ohio St said they will wear a jersey to honor the 1954 team, they didnt say they will be wearing the 1954 jerseys. These jerseys by NIKE are called a tradition set or something . Well, we will know for sure in a week or two when OSU unveils their Jerseys

But you did say it's the 1954 jersey.

That photo came from the Cleveland Plains Dealer website and if you look at the link its says its the 1954 jersey.

Also this says that is the jersey they are wearing

We will find out next Sunday. I am also putting my reputation(not that I have one) on the line in saying that Michgian, despite denying it now, will have throwback jerseys as well.

But you did say it's the 1954 jersey.

We will find out next Sunday. I am also putting my reputation(not that I have one) on the line in saying that Michgian, despite denying it now, will have throwback jerseys as well.

Well I meant inspired by the 1954 team. Read the quote Ohio St submitted about the jersey, sure sounds like its the one I posted.

From Ohio State's website

Football Uniform Statement - The Ohio State Buckeyes Official Athletics Site - OhioStateBuckeyes.com

COLUMBUS, Ohio - A statement from Ohio State director of athletics Gene Smith:

"During spring, 2009, Ohio State was invited by Nike to participate in its Rivalry uniform program with several other universities from around the nation. They offered us a chance to try a new uniform product featuring cutting-edge fabrics and technology; participation in the program also offered us a one-time opportunity to salute one of those great championship teams that have built the Ohio State football tradition.

"Our coaches and players were excited to see the different elements Nike presented in the prototype designs and samples. The uniform elements are still in production, and we are extremely eager to see the finished product when it arrives.

"For this special program, we chose to recognize the achievements of our undefeated 1954 national championship team, winning the Big Ten title outright before capturing a Rose Bowl victory. These great Buckeyes celebrated their 55th anniversary with us at the Minnesota game, and this is another way for us to pay homage to their stellar achievements.

"Our fans will be able to get the first look at these unique uniforms on Sunday, Nov. 15, when we will share photos of the finished product on our website OhioStateBuckeyes.com. Fans can also take a look at the actual uniform up close that week in our official Team Shop in the Schottenstein Center. And our team will wear these custom designs when the Buckeyes take the field Nov. 21 up north in Ann Arbor.

"Again, this is a one-time opportunity to honor a great championship team. We have no plans to make any changes to the traditional Buckeye uniform for the foreseeable future."

It does not say they are wearing the 1954 uniforms, but a jersey using cutting edge materials and technology that will pay recognition to the 1954 team. It sounds like this is the uniform that is floating around everywhere

Edited by Johnny Mac

From Ohio State's website

Football Uniform Statement - The Ohio State Buckeyes Official Athletics Site - OhioStateBuckeyes.com

It does not say they are wearing the 1954 uniforms

It also says that the uniforms are still in production, so it's not the leaked pic from the Plain Dealer that was a part of multiple uniforms presented to the school by Nike this past spring.

"Our coaches and players were excited to see the different elements Nike presented in the prototype designs and samples. The uniform elements are still in production, and we are extremely eager to see the finished product when it arrives.

The uniforms aren't going to be exactly like the 1954 version, but they are going to be close.

I think it would be cool if Tressel and Rich Rob came dressed as Woody and Fielding Yost. God knows their offenses at times look like throwbacks.

It also says that the uniforms are still in production, so it's not the leaked pic from the Plain Dealer that was a part of multiple uniforms presented to the school by Nike this past spring.

The uniforms aren't going to be exactly like the 1954 version, but they are going to be close.

you are telling me they are going to use these jerseys in 2 weeks and they arent even completed yet?

you are telling me they are going to use these jerseys in 2 weeks and they arent even completed yet?

Gene Smith is saying that, in the story that you quoted. Obviously they have the completed the design, but the uniforms are still in production. I am saying for a fact that what's been leaked on twitter by Brandon Smith is not what Ohio State is wearing. That was one of several dummy uniforms designed by Nike in the spring.

Gene Smith is saying that, in the story that you quoted. Obviously they have the completed the design, but the uniforms are still in production. I am saying for a fact that what's been leaked on twitter by Brandon Smith is not what Ohio State is wearing. That was one of several dummy uniforms designed by Nike in the spring.

Well we will find out soon enough. But these line of jerseys are not throwbacks, these are jerseys to honor something. FSU is wearing black helmets to honor the Seminole tribe and Chief Osceola. Ohio St could be doing something as simple as the white helmet to honor the 1954 team.

The fact the jerseys and design look just like Texas and Florida State, the other schools doing this with Ohio State for Nike lends me to believe that those are the ones Ohio St is using or at least will be similar to that.

Personally I think Michigan and Ohio State should save alternate and throwback jerseys for teams like Oregon and Florida State.

Personally I think Michigan and Ohio State should save alternate and throwback jerseys for teams like Oregon and Florida State.

because Florida State always messes around with their jerseys like Oregon does? FSU has had pretty much the same jersey for a long time. Michigan has changed their jersey around recently anyway.

These jerseys are one time only I am pretty sure for all the teams doing this.

because Florida State always messes around with their jerseys like Oregon does? FSU has had pretty much the same jersey for a long time. Michigan has changed their jersey around recently anyway.

These jerseys are one time only I am pretty sure for all the teams doing this.

I'm talking about using alternate and throwback jerseys, not altering modern jersey's like OSU did in 06 and Michigan did in 07.

Florida State plans on using their new alternate jersey beyond November 21.

According to school officials, the uniforms will be used at the discretion of the Seminoles' football program after Nov. 21.

I'm talking about using alternate and throwback jerseys, not altering modern jersey's like OSU did in 06 and Michigan did in 07.

Florida State plans on using their new alternate jersey beyond November 21.

The article says it will be used Nov. 21st and may be used at their discretion after that date. It doesnt say that are going to use them. I hope they dont use them beside this one time. But I tend to usually not like Nike concoction jerseys and I think FSU current uniforms are one of the best in the NCAA.

Edited by Johnny Mac

The article says it will be used Nov. 21st and may be used at their discretion after that date. It doesnt say that are going to use them.

No, it does not say they "may" be used. It says that according to school officials it "will" be used at their discretion.

According to Florida State officials, these limited edition uniforms will be used at the discretion of the Seminoles' football program after November 21.

Florida State University Official Athletic Site

do you know what discretion means?

Nothing about the statement says anything certain about whether they use them or not.

HAHA, yes I know what discretion means. That statement means exactly what it says. They will use the uniform beyond November 21st, they just don't know when. If they meant this to be a one time uniform, then they would not have released a statement saying they will use the uniform beyond this year.

well, anyway, back to the uniform. They are supposed to be over 30 % lighter and breath easier. Could Nike introduce those ideas without making horrible looking designs?

well, anyway, back to the uniform. They are supposed to be over 30 % lighter and breath easier. Could Nike introduce those ideas without making horrible looking designs?

I doubt it! I like the traditional look, ala Penn State and Notre Dame. I'm not a fan of all the modern stripes that go into jerseys.

I doubt it! I like the traditional look, ala Penn State and Notre Dame. I'm not a fan of all the modern stripes that go into jerseys.

To each their own, I hate Penn State's plain, boring, blah uniforms.