Sign in to follow this  
Motor City Sonics

Michigan Athletic Director

This is how I see it playing out.

Bob DeCarolis (currently AD at Oregon State) is going to be hired as AD, he will be named the AD in June and will be in place at Michigan by July - so the transition from Bill Martin to him runs smoothly. Michigan will not win the Big Ten in 2010 and Rich Rod will be forced out in January 2011(I like Rich Rod, but the writing is on the wall, this guy will never be fully accepted at Michigan, ever). I think Jim Harbaugh will then be hired as Head Coach of Michigan. There's your Michigan man - went to Pioneer High School, played for Bo, has had quick turn-around success at Stanford. Harbaugh and DeCarolis are friends, Harbaugh's son is an intern for the Oregon State football team. I don't know Jim Harbaugh's contract, but I would bet there is an out clause for the job at Michigan.

I don't think its right the way Rich Rod has been treated - I think it's basically a witch hunt, but it's getting to the point where he's never gonna get the benefit of a doubt from the Michigan community. The new AD doesn't have to show loyalty to Rich Rod. By January 2011 Mary Sue Coleman could be heading up the NCAA for all we know and bringing in Harbaugh reinstates the Bo Schembechler lineage with a young guy. Harbaugh's recent criticisms of Michigan (a couple of years ago) are not going to hurt his chances. He will be the next Michigan head coach.

Yeah, Harbaugh and UM have a very amicable history recently.

But he's a Michigan man. And I am not saying that Rich Rod should be fired, because he should be given at least four years. I am just saying the negative stuff is never going to end with Rich Rod as coach. I don't think he's ever going to be respected as the fabled "Michigan Man" - and no matter how critical Harbaugh has been - it will be compared to Bo and how outspoken he was. Go back and look, I was cheerleading for Rich Rod long before he was hired. I think he's a really good coach, but all this bull**** never ends and the Michigan purists are never, ever going to stop. Not once, not never. This investigation by the NCAA is going to reveal some minor violations, but they will be blown out of proportion. It's just never gonna stop. The dude has to win the Big Ten by next year - he just has to. The way people talk about the 70s and 80s, you'd think Michigan was 10-0 every year Bo was here. One guy called the station and said that Texas would pass Michigan in total wins in five or six years. One bad loss to Penn State and people are going freaking crazy. Michigan has 40 more wins then Texas, I don't think Michigan's gong 3-9 every year while Texas goes 12-0 every year. I think Rich Rod is far from perfect, but I like the way things are progressing (the defense will get better if they keep the same coordinator for more than two years). The biggest gripe I have with Rich is that he keeps saying 'irregardless'.

Edited by Motor City Sonics

It's an interesting prediction that seems to make sense but I think Jim Harbaugh's next job will be in the NFL.

Also, why would a non-Michigan man care about having to carry on the Michigan man lineage? DeCarolis got to where he is by worrying about winning more than window dressing.

FWIW, Mike Riley is a better football coach than Jim Harbaugh

Edited by Hongbit

The "Michigan Man" thing is overblown. RR isn't liked because of his personality and perceived indiscretions. However, if he had gone 9-3 last year, it would be overlooked. Just like if a "Michigan Man" like Les Miles had been hired and he went 3-9, the media and old timers would be searching for reasons to drive him out of town. I really hope the new AD doesn't pigeon hole himself into only looking at coaches with a UM pedigree. I'd hate to pass up the next Bob Stoops so we can hire Corwin Brown.

Brian made a post about this today on Mgoblog. Basically he said if offered, De Carolis would take the job. Problem is, supposedly he didn't leave Michigan in a very good way.

Brian said he thinks Dave Brandon is the front runner. He is currently the CEO of Dominos. Worked with Martin and Coleman on the stadium renovation and some other projects. Knows the big shots in the program, etc. You can read his post here:

Dave Brandon And Other Athletic Director Bits | mgoblog

I don't think Harbaugh will ever be allowed to coach here now. If he had kept his mouth shut, maybe. Plus, what has he really done? 4-8, 5-7 isn't impressive. He did great at San Diego though.

Oregon State doesn't even have softball and that's become UM's marquee sport.

Edited by Hongbit

Oregon State doesn't even have softball and that's become UM's marquee sport.

don't forget the solar racing team! the leaders and best have to go pretty deep to maintain the lie...

don't forget the solar racing team! the leaders and best have to go pretty deep to maintain the lie...

1. Solar Car Racing is the most legit thing ever.

2. The college of engineering and the business school are sponsors of the team, not the athletic department. Most of the team's budget comes from corporate sponsors though.

1. Solar Car Racing is the most legit thing ever.

2. The college of engineering and the business school are sponsors of the team, not the athletic department. Most of the team's budget comes from corporate sponsors though.

too bad they finished 2nd. neither the leaders nor the best.

i'm sorry, someone was dissing solar racing? wtf?

nah, my most recent post dissed UM's solar racing crew. my previous comment dissed everything at UM that is more relevant or important to UM than solar racing, which is a pretty long list...

nah. wait until the 3rd time he thinks he's funny and repackages the joke.
too bad they finished 2nd. neither the leaders nor the best.
nah, my most recent post dissed UM's solar racing crew. my previous comment dissed everything at UM that is more relevant or important to UM than solar racing, which is a pretty long list...

RR had to have a massive talent overhaul to bring in his system and you guys want to dump him before his first full recruiting class becomes SO? And then what? Go back to smash mouth and have to wait a couple recruiting classes to switch the style of players back.

RR had to have a massive talent overhaul to bring in his system and you guys want to dump him before his first full recruiting class becomes SO? And then what? Go back to smash mouth and have to wait a couple recruiting classes to switch the style of players back.

That's what makes everyone calling for his head funny. Everyone knew the team was starting to Decline when Lloyd was ending his time and then we get Richrod which is a totally different coaching style with players needed. He has one class under his belt, and the team is also being lead by Freshman. We see flashes with this team, but we also see there is no Defense, bringing in a new coach right away won't change that.

Rodriguez is almost certainly going to survive this year, but next year the defense is still going to be a disaster. I'm not sure he survives 2010 if they can't manage at least 8 wins (certainly possible, but maybe a bit unlikely).

Seems Martin is a little tense these days and why wouldn't he be? He has a huge, huge problem on his hands. Those folks that pay his bills are not happy and regardless of what Mary Sue Coleman has to say about the time Rodriguez will get, the athletic department depends on a successful football program with happy football donors.