Sign in to follow this  
Deleterious

Michigan Wolverines Vs. Illinois Fighting Illini - 10/31/09

I would have kicked the FG, but going for it on 4th doesn't bug me that much. What does bug me, is running to the outside two of the four plays from the 1 yard line. If you choose to run it all 4 times, everyone should be in the A gap.

I just can't imagine UM losing to Purdue at home. I don't know, this is the Big Ten where crappy teams play crappy teams on a week to week basis and whoever sucks less wins.

Well after watching them play the last 5 or 6 weeks, I can lol.

Well after watching them play the last 5 or 6 weeks, I can lol.

Unfortunately, I agree.

Inexcusable loss.. I have fully backed this program until now.. even the Toledo loss was not as bad as this one.. I am finally broken as a fan. This program is in the toilet. They won't win a game the rest of the year after this defeat. Good job RR.

This is exactly how I feel now but will probably step back from the ledge after a couple martinis. Freshman QB, ****** defense, blah, blah, blah. RR still has to show something by now.

NOW do you all realize how bad this team is?

How will we rationalize this loss?

BTW: They have now been outgained by every non-MAC team they've played. This team stinks and is lucky to have beaten the one big ten team they've played this year.

I've realized this team isn't very good all year, but I still expected them to beat Illinois. It seemed like the team pretty much gave up after the goal line stand, or perhaps it was just a case of a bunch of walk on's and completely garbage scholarship players being unable to withstand the SCOURGE of Juice Williams in the 2nd half.

I can completely understand Tate Forcier having stupid fumbles and sacks, he's a true freshman, I can understand our O-Line not getting a touchdown in that goalline situation, Brandon Minor is forever injured and the line still has a year to go before all those promising freshmen/redshirt freshmen can be counted on.

I can't understand a defense that is just completely incapable of defending any QB run, any quick pass 0 yards downfield to a WR, and absolutely any play fake or misdirection.

I don't know how much of that is coaching, and how much of that is just that the players are stupid/bad. But it has to end next year or Rodriguez and company will be out of a job.

I really have complete confidence in Rodriguez and Michigan having a very good offense next year, they bring a lot of guys back, and a lot of guys are getting key experience. But the defense? Boy, the young guys look like they suck, and they're losing Graham and maybe Warren.

People blaming Coach Rod for this loss have got to be ****ing kidding me? Did he **** the bed from the 1 yard line 4 times!?! Did he turn the ball over? Was it his fault that guys like Mike Williams and co do not ****ing understand how to make any semblance of a read? Everytime I see 40, or 8, or 3 etc. just run straight by someone passively without actually reading the play I want to kick someone in the throat. It's almost like it's not real.

There is getting beat, and there is losing. Against the Illini, UM lost, and it was embarrassing. Illinois is not as bad as their 1-6 record indicates, they still had some weapons, but good ****ing lord, the defense is so awful it blows my mind.

My biggest fear for this team is that stupid mother****ers are going to want to run RichRod out of town prematurely, and dick the program for a decade. Seriously, take a look at the schemes and play calling and tell me that there's a problem? It isn't perfect, but there just isn't a problem there. The problem lies in the lack of talent and/or inexperience at several positions. Especially defense. Mike Williams has now earned the unabashed anger that only the safety version of Stevie Brown has given me.

This was one of those games where I watched it, let it sink in, then went to the pub and drank until I let something else in the sporting world bother me. Basically, I'm just trying to forget that it happened and hope that better times are ahead.

And Buddha, you called it. When you said something along the lines of "I wouldn't be surprised if they lost," I snickered... but I should have known that the things you say are almost always correct. They could all be correct but I just know you don't want to be painted as brilliant and flawless... you may be that way though however.

Edited by jonjd

People blaming Coach Rod for this loss have got to be ****ing kidding me? Did he **** the bed from the 1 yard line 4 times!?! Did he turn the ball over? Was it his fault that guys like Mike Williams and co do not ****ing understand how to make any semblance of a read? Everytime I see 40, or 8, or 3 etc. just run straight by someone passively without actually reading the play I want to kick someone in the throat. It's almost like it's not real.

There is getting beat, and there is losing. Against the Illini, UM lost, and it was embarrassing. Illinois is not as bad as their 1-6 record indicates, they still had some weapons, but good ****ing lord, the defense is so awful it blows my mind.

My biggest fear for this team is that stupid mother****ers are going to want to run RichRod out of town prematurely, and dick the program for a decade. Seriously, take a look at the schemes and play calling and tell me that there's a problem? It isn't perfect, but there just isn't a problem there. The problem lies in the lack of talent and/or inexperience at several positions. Especially defense. Mike Williams has now earned the unabashed anger that only the safety version of Stevie Brown has given me.

Check out how Dantonio did his first 2 years in East Lansing before you start calling anybody stupid mother****ers. He took over for John L. Smith and implemented new schemes for which I'm sure he didn't have the perfect talent (not to mention the general lack of talent under Smith). What makes Rodriguez such a mad-genius that he needs years and years to execute his special plan?

Michigan sucks, doesn't deserve to play in a bowl game .. needs to address defense in recruiting, and until they learn that they can not fumble the ****in' ball, especially in the ****in' red zone, it's going to be a long ****in' time before this team takes that next step, the one we THOUGHT they took a month or so ago.

That's it... This team sucks, no excuses, not but this or if only this .. **** that.

You guys will beat purdue at home. M is just a young team, and young teams play much better at home than on the road. I wouldn't worry about it.

Check out how Dantonio did his first 2 years in East Lansing before you start calling anybody stupid mother****ers. He took over for John L. Smith and implemented new schemes for which I'm sure he didn't have the perfect talent (not to mention the general lack of talent under Smith). What makes Rodriguez such a mad-genius that he needs years and years to execute his special plan?

And Dantonio is 4-5 this year. I agree you can't give Rodriguez forever, but any coaching change is challenging, and Lloyd Carr did have a 7-5 year himself not that long ago.

Michigan sucks, doesn't deserve to play in a bowl game .. needs to address defense in recruiting, and until they learn that they can not fumble the ****in' ball, especially in the ****in' red zone, it's going to be a long ****in' time before this team takes that next step, the one we THOUGHT they took a month or so ago.

That's it... This team sucks, no excuses, not but this or if only this .. **** that.

There was an excellent breakdown of the recruiting on the defensive side of the ball since 2005, in the mgoblue blog this weak.It spells out the reasons why defense is such an issue.

Edited by sportz4life

People should realize just how poorly Michigan recruited under the last few years of the Carr regime. All those guys that RRod brought in in his first recruiting class better pan out or he's in big trouble.

You can compare this team to Notre Dame under Weiss, but Weiss has recruited his fat *** off, RRod has not. He's gotten one five star kid and he looks overrated. I just hope devin gardner pans out or Michigan is in deep deep trouble.

And MY GOD if they don't pull in some defensive players they are completely ****ed.

It takes time to completely overhaul a program, and that's what he's doing. But the idea that he's some kind of offensive genius should be thrown out the window now. Five years ago? Sure, I guess. But not anymore. He's going against a higher level of competition and his offense is now ubiquitous.

He's got two years to turn Michigan into a BCS contender. If not, they should start looking again.

I think Brown might have got in on 3rd down. I would have liked to see that review.

He did get in and they should have reviewed it.

Does M have no coaches looking at this in the booth? They missed too many men last week on the Denard INT. Pretty poor by the booth officials, but pretty poor by the M coaching staff also.

He did get in and they should have reviewed it.

Does M have no coaches looking at this in the booth? They missed too many men last week on the Denard INT. Pretty poor by the booth officials, but pretty poor by the M coaching staff also.

I am not 100% sure, but my understanding is that in college booth coaches don't have the advantage of seeing video replay, like they do in the NFL.

I am not 100% sure, but my understanding is that in college booth coaches don't have the advantage of seeing video replay, like they do in the NFL.

No Tvs and no computers.

People should realize just how poorly Michigan recruited under the last few years of the Carr regime. All those guys that RRod brought in in his first recruiting class better pan out or he's in big trouble.

You can compare this team to Notre Dame under Weiss, but Weiss has recruited his fat *** off, RRod has not. He's gotten one five star kid and he looks overrated. I just hope devin gardner pans out or Michigan is in deep deep trouble.

And MY GOD if they don't pull in some defensive players they are completely ****ed.

It takes time to completely overhaul a program, and that's what he's doing. But the idea that he's some kind of offensive genius should be thrown out the window now. Five years ago? Sure, I guess. But not anymore. He's going against a higher level of competition and his offense is now ubiquitous.

He's got two years to turn Michigan into a BCS contender. If not, they should start looking again.

While I'm very concerned about the defense, I think you can still count on a great offense (or at least a good one) given time. It's not like the Big 10 is better than the Big East. In fact, I think Michigan will have a great offense next season....of course, the defense will probably still be horrible.

Did Michigan's Mark Ortmann strike Illinois' Corey Liuget? - AnnArbor.com

Did Michigan's Mark Ortmann strike Illinois' Corey Liuget?

If precedent holds, Michigan might be without starting left tackle Mark Ortmann for its last best chance to qualify for a bowl game Saturday against Purdue.

Ortmann appeared to strike Illinois defensive tackle Corey Liuget in the midsection after Liuget recovered a Tate Forcier fumble early in the fourth quarter of Michigan’s 38-13 loss to the Illini.

Ortmann was on his knees next to Forcier when Liuget came up with the loose ball. Liuget walked into Ortmann, stood over him pointing in celebration, and Ortmann appeared to jab Liuget with his left fist.

Replays did not show where or if the punch landed - Ortmann’s helmet was in the way - but Liuget complained to an official after the play and walked hunched over to the Illinois sideline.

Earlier this year, linebacker Jonas Mouton was suspended one game by the Big Ten for violating the league’s sportsmanlike conduct policy after he struck Notre Dame center Eric Olsen under the helmet.

As with the Ortmann incident, no penalty was called on Mouton’s play.

The conference also suspended Purdue lineman Zach Reckman for striking a Northern Illinois player in a non-football manner earlier this year.

A Michigan spokesperson said coach Rich Rodriguez would have to review the tape before making any comment.

The Big Ten did not have any immediate comment.

Michigan (5-4, 0-4) needs one win to qualify for the postseason, and closes the season at Wisconsin and home against Ohio State.

Purdue is 3-6 overall, 2-3 in conference play.

Sure looks like he did.

FwxAC24jSGo

Kinda hard to tell, but honestly, if he did, this is ridiculous, 2nd time this year. I don't blame RR, I'm sure this kind of thing happened somewhat under Carr, but that doesn't make it any less bad... if that makes any sense at all (sorry, its late, I'm too lazy to rephrase, and yeah, i realize that i could have rephrased it in the time it took me to explain why I didn't rephrase it, but this takes less thought) seriously, get control of your players.

Tough to say on the punch itself, but the way the Illinois guy walked to the bench made it look pretty legit (or that was a great acting job).

If Ortmann punched the guy in th balls, he should be suspended for the rest of the season. I know elbows and fists are thrown in the scrum all the time. But that is beyond tasteless.

Rich Rod is done. I'm not saying that's what I want to happen, I think he should get four years, but if he doesn't win the Big Ten next year (and he won't), he's gone. Michigan will have a new AD as an excuse to make a change and the fan base and boosters will be insane - no way he can survive it. No way, not once, not never.

Rich Rod is done. I'm not saying that's what I want to happen, I think he should get four years, but if he doesn't win the Big Ten next year (and he won't), he's gone. Michigan will have a new AD as an excuse to make a change and the fan base and boosters will be insane - no way he can survive it. No way, not once, not never.

Wrong, so you can stop throwing out your usual "RichRod is gone, not that I want it." It would be crazy to fire Coach Rod for not winning the big 10 next year. It would also be crazy for a new AD to come right in and feel the need to put his/her stamp on a program by dismissing a coach and finding a new one, then you're right back at square one.

When you hire a coach to make a transition, you don't fire him before he has the chance to make that transition. Coach Rod isn't some unproven coach, he has a very solid track record so it would be insane to get rid of him strictly for football reasons before he has at least 4 years. Was there really anyone who didn't think there would be some bumps in the road along the way in this transition? When Coach Rod came in, it was the year after an immensely talented, underachieving (mostly due to injuries) team, put a whole bunch of talent into the NFL. A QB transferred, some other players did not want to make the transition so they left, the slate was wiped clean. It was going to be a rough year, and it was. This year looked like a 6-6 team with another transition on defense, and starting over again with talented albeit true freshman QBs. At times the team has looked like a 9-3 team, at times they've looked like a 3-9 team, but overall they look like a 6-6 team. Am I disappointed with how the team has looked at times? Absolutely, it's been maddening.

If people want to point fingers and say that Coach Rod, the supposed offensive genius can't coach up any bunch of players well fine. I disagree, but that may be somewhat true. However, UM brought him in to change the program to his players, because we've seen how good that can be. I've seen people on this site talking about how the offense isn't that great, but with 75% of the season played, they are the number one scoring offense and rushing offense in the big 10. That means something to me, especially with freshman QBs, an offensive line that isn't super talented and has been banged up (but has gained a year of experience), and a generally under performing receiving crew. The defense is just flat out bad, and it really hasn't been strong since the beasts of 2006. There have been a mix of things leading to a lack of talent on defense and it shows, this will be a key point for Coach Rod in reloading the program.

If UM is to fire him strictly for football reasons before he's finished at least 4, hopefully 5, years then that is a major error by the institution.

make Homer go crazy....

Don't mind if I do!