LTE is a marketing gimmick. Wow, a max of 100mbps!!!!!!!

You'll never get that speed, nor will you ever approach needing it.

HSPA+ can get around 20 mbps. That's faster than my home internet, and I downloaded 10 GB in like 45 minutes yesterday.

LTE is faster, sure, but you don't need it.

HSPA+ can get around 20 mbps. That's faster than my home internet, and I downloaded 10 GB in like 45 minutes yesterday.

Its handy when you are doing multiple things. HSDPA+ can max at around 42. Real world speeds are often faster than vzw LTE because of all of the people on the network. LTE is the future, but they need to start allocating more spectrum to broaden the pipeline. I wouldn't really call it a gimmick, unless your phone can only do one thing at a time, or you are always in a good coverage area.

Well right. You also don't NEED Don Draper on your TV every Sunday in the winter but it's nice to have.

Well right. You also don't NEED Don Draper on your TV every Sunday in the winter but it's nice to have.

Funny you mention this -- I just deleted the last season of Mad Men off my Android phone and am now downloading BREAKING BAD while on MTS and listening to Spotify. The speed comes in handy, for sure

Funny you mention this -- I just deleted the last season of Mad Men off my Android phone and am now downloading BREAKING BAD while on MTS and listening to Spotify. The speed comes in handy, for sure

Its also nice to still get 5-7 Mbps download speeds in marginal service areas.

I was really interested in the N4 until I saw that it doesn't have LTE. Unless I'm reading it wrong, the N4 is pretty much just a 3G phone, a major downside in my opinion. I understand why Google when that way (lower price, not having to deal with different proprietary radio/chips/networks, better battery), but it's still a step backwards in my opinion.

I only have the iPhone 4s as it is so i am currently living without LTE anyway.....

with the recent experiences with my now bricked iPad, the lack of customer service...and the iPhone that turns on and off whenever it wants (still under warranty thankfully)....I think that I am ready to go back to android....afterall....I have missed the android web browsing experience that is head and shoulders above ios IMO.

Looking forward to Nexus 4 going on sale tonight.

Its handy when you are doing multiple things. HSDPA+ can max at around 42. Real world speeds are often faster than vzw LTE because of all of the people on the network. LTE is the future, but they need to start allocating more spectrum to broaden the pipeline. I wouldn't really call it a gimmick, unless your phone can only do one thing at a time, or you are always in a good coverage area.

I tried a friend's new Note 2 today. AT&T. DBm numbers not impressive, about -102. But it DL'd dense web pages real fast.

This could be very cool if it pans out and is true.

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/11/16/google-to-create-own-wireless-service-in-partnership-with-dish/

If google fiber is any indication of the type of service they would provide, this would be great. It would be a bigger kick in the teeth to carriers like Vzw and AT&T than the nexus program.

I'm just assuming that Dish will try to package this with their satellite TV service to make it worthwhile for them. And I would never subscribe to a satellite service that doesn't offer the baseball or NFL packages. Dish is not a very good sports provider. Of course, I could be jumping he gun and perhaps this would run parallel to their satellite service. But they are entering a very competitive wireless market.

I'm just assuming that Dish will try to package this with their satellite TV service to make it worthwhile for them. And I would never subscribe to a satellite service that doesn't offer the baseball or NFL packages. Dish is not a very good sports provider. Of course, I could be jumping he gun and perhaps this would run parallel to their satellite service. But they are entering a very competitive wireless market.

Okay, that makes more sense. I would assume (and hope) that they are looking for a partner to do most of the wireless service stuff, and just supply the spectrum. If they do partner with google, I doubt that they let dish mess it up like that. The primary reason for google to get into the business is because of their frustration with current carriers.

.... I'm cool with that. If it means we don't have to wait for Verizon to sell the Note 2 for example.

I would like them to take a European model of cell plans.

Newest rumors have a network operating in mid 2013. It will reportedly be a data only network that would handle all texts and calls via VoIP.

I work for the magenta plated mobile company with the hot chick riding the motor cycle. I can assure network skeptics that LTE and HSPA differences are like going 75 on the freeway versus going 80. Yeah, our bike doesn't reach 80 yet and that sorta sucks, mostly for marketing purposes. However, it isn't as if we aren't the real deal as Verizon tries to deceivingly sell you. HSPA is 4G, not 3G and a 1/2 or 3/4ths as Verizon would have you believe. If you are one of those drivers that can really, really, really tell the difference between someone going 75 and 80 when driving, then I don't suppose you're going to accept HSPA as 4G. Going 80 though in the LTE world is only going to shave seconds off of you're download, streaming and/or gaming time. The person who said LTE was pretty much a marketing gimmick earlier was spot on. The techies could tell you what LTE is versus HSPA. The average Joe that walks into a wireless store however can only tell you what they were told the differences are by the marketing folks.

On a related note, I interviewed for a job once at the red check mark before I got this job with T-Mobile. During the interview the hiring manager openly said to me in the interview that he wasn't sure how T-Mobile could get away with such lies by claiming their network to be 4G. I have nothing personal against the red checkmark, but we're not the ones lying here.

I work for the magenta plated mobile company with the hot chick riding the motor cycle. I can assure network skeptics that LTE and HSPA differences are like going 75 on the freeway versus going 80. Yeah, our bike doesn't reach 80 yet and that sorta sucks, mostly for marketing purposes. However, it isn't as if we aren't the real deal as Verizon tries to deceivingly sell you. HSPA is 4G, not 3G and a 1/2 or 3/4ths as Verizon would have you believe. If you are one of those drivers that can really, really, really tell the difference between someone going 75 and 80 when driving, then I don't suppose you're going to accept HSPA as 4G. Going 80 though in the LTE world is only going to shave seconds off of you're download, streaming and/or gaming time. The person who said LTE was pretty much a marketing gimmick earlier was spot on. The techies could tell you what LTE is versus HSPA. The average Joe that walks into a wireless store however can only tell you what they were told the differences are by the marketing folks.

On a related note, I interviewed for a job once at the red check mark before I got this job with T-Mobile. During the interview the hiring manager openly said to me in the interview that he wasn't sure how T-Mobile could get away with such lies by claiming their network to be 4G. I have nothing personal against the red checkmark, but we're not the ones lying here.

All us carriers are lying when they call their network 4g, but that is a different story.

The current differences are small for practical purposes, but I fear that your pink company is going to be in trouble if they cannot acquire the spectrum (and cash) to build out an LTE network. Hopefully you will be working for the Mountain View overlords in the near future.:-)

Uncle Sam ordered AT&T to give us 4 billion in cash last year after the attempted buyout went through. We also made a trade of sorts with AT&T to acquire more spectrum back in October. I think long-term, given that we have Deutsche-Telcom backing us seemingly long-term now plus AT&T's 4 billion, we'll be fine. Sprint is the carrier I'd be concerned about. They have the same LTE-related, limited spectrum issues as we've faced, invested heavily in Wi-Max, they are CDMA and not GSM and they've put all their eggs in one basket with their gigantic IPhone investment a few months back.

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

Uncle Sam ordered AT&T to give us 4 billion in cash last year after the attempted buyout went through. We also made a trade of sorts with AT&T to acquire more spectrum back in October. I think long-term, given that we have Deutsche-Telcom backing us seemingly long-term now plus AT&T's 4 billion, we'll be fine. Sprint is the carrier I'd be concerned about. They have the same LTE-related, limited spectrum issues as we've faced, they are CDMA and not GSM and they've put all their eggs in one basket with their gigantic IPhone investment a few months back.

But they can build out their LTE, and then strengthen it when they kill off the nextel dead weight. And they are already doing it. I would really like Google to get into the game. They are probably hesitant because of congress being concerned with them gaining a monopoly.

Google PCS? Goggle Wireless? Google GSM? Hmmmmmm.......

If they are going to partner with Dish, I think they should go with Diggle Wireless.

Uncle Sam ordered AT&T to give us 4 billion in cash last year after the attempted buyout went through. We also made a trade of sorts with AT&T to acquire more spectrum back in October. I think long-term, given that we have Deutsche-Telcom backing us seemingly long-term now plus AT&T's 4 billion, we'll be fine. Sprint is the carrier I'd be concerned about. They have the same LTE-related, limited spectrum issues as we've faced, invested heavily in Wi-Max, they are CDMA and not GSM and they've put all their eggs in one basket with their gigantic IPhone investment a few months back.

Just for the record, uncle Sam didn't order the 4b or the spectrum swap. Those transactions were in the original agreement as the fee AT&T would pay should they back out of the deal. AT&T backed out after deciding not to fight the DOJ's lawsuit to stop the purchase.

Got the Note 2 on Thursday. Love it so far. I just need to be sure about battery drain due to its typical inferior radio. This is a Samsung product after all.