Mschottey1985

2010 NFL Draft

Well, I think the Lions could be in good shape, drafting anywhere from 1-6. Many of the bottom teams have needs at positions the Lions won't fill that high (QB/WR/RB). Lions will get their pick of a super DT/OT. I wish they had more picks in this draft though, lots of holes could be filled. Hopefully they can swing a 1 for 2 deal in the first round, Mays seems to have slipped, I'd target him and a dline. Can they get anything for Sims is the question?

Checked some Mocks, I was thinking about Brandon Graham looks like his stock is too high, was hoping he would make it to the 2nd round.

1. Mock Drafts at this point are completely irrelevant. You can't gage the "stock" of a player from an October mock draft any better than seeing how good a player is when you draft them on Madden.

I also don't understand why people are assuming the Lions will have a top 6 pick, are these people not watching the NFL? I mean you can admit the Lions are a bad team and still understand that they are a better team than the Chiefs, Bucs, Raiders, Panthers, Rams, Browns and Redskins.

Many juniors will come out this year, fearing what will happen with the CBA; which will probably make this a top draft class overall. It's going to be tough to predict who won't come out.

1. Mock Drafts at this point are completely irrelevant. You can't gage the "stock" of a player from an October mock draft any better than seeing how good a player is when you draft them on Madden.

I also don't understand why people are assuming the Lions will have a top 6 pick' date=' are these people not watching the NFL? I mean you can admit the Lions are a bad team and still understand that they are a better team than the Chiefs, Bucs, Raiders, Panthers, Rams, Browns and Redskins.[/quote']

I partially agree with what you are saying. Mock drafts are not completely meaningless. They basically tell you say the same things rankings tell you. There are a handful of players who are pretty much guaranteed top 10 picks already and mock drafts will tell you who those players are.

I agree that the Lions are better than all those teams you mentioned. But that doesn't mean we will end up with a better record. We are still bad enough to easily lose all the remaining games on our schedule. Chances are, this is not going to happen, but it would not surprise me if it did either.

Bradford is going to have surgery and enter the draft in April.

I wonder if his insurance policy will make up for how far he'll drop in the draft due to injury.

My Way - Sports News

I am not convinced he is going to fall out of the top 5 yet. A lot will depend on workouts and how different team's doctors evaluate him. There a lot of teams desperate for a franchise quarterback that are going to have a very high draft pick and one of them might deem him worth the risk.

I am not convinced he is going to fall out of the top 5 yet. A lot will depend on workouts and how different team's doctors evaluate him. There a lot of teams desperate for a franchise quarterback that are going to have a very high draft pick and one of them might deem him worth the risk.

He's not the only top QB.

He's not the only top QB.

At this point (he's only played one full game) Cruz it right, he's not even close to being a lock. All of the questions--spread offense, overall athleticism, arm strength, etc are amplified thanks to this injury.

Cruzer gets docked for having UM LB - Ezi on any list. Tackles are all and nice, but when he chases you for 10+ yards before making that tackle .... not so much.

Mschottey1985 gets docked for having Tim Tebow ranked as a QB.

Cruzer gets docked for having UM LB - Ezi on any list. Tackles are all and nice, but when he chases you for 10+ yards before making that tackle .... not so much.

lol, let alone the top qb. He has the 3rd best qb rating this season, in the state of Florida. Outside of the Troy game, he has 4 TD 4 INT in his other 6 games. He also has only hit 150 passing yards once in his past 5 games.

Only way he is a NFL QB in my mind is if you consider the guy who takes snaps in the wildcat a QB.

I partially agree with what you are saying. Mock drafts are not completely meaningless. They basically tell you say the same things rankings tell you. There are a handful of players who are pretty much guaranteed top 10 picks already and mock drafts will tell you who those players are.

Look at any mock draft done this early in the season and see how it compares with the actual draft. There is so much change, even at the top, after the season that the rankings at this point in October are irrelevant come draft season.

I agree that the Lions are better than all those teams you mentioned. But that doesn't mean we will end up with a better record. We are still bad enough to easily lose all the remaining games on our schedule. Chances are, this is not going to happen, but it would not surprise me if it did either.

We are bad enough to lose to St. Louis and Cleveland? I really don't think so - especially if Stafford is playing.

I think Tebow is a lock to go in the first round. If he doesn't go by the Jaguar's pick, he'll go to the Jaguars. They need to sell tickets, and the owner wants him. Good enough for me, it's why I called DHB to the Raiders so early last year. Sometimes the man with the money is the man calling the shots, whether it makes football sense, or not.

I think Tebow is a lock to go in the first round. If he doesn't go by the Jaguar's pick, he'll go to the Jaguars. They need to sell tickets, and the owner wants him. Good enough for me, it's why I called DHB to the Raiders so early last year. Sometimes the man with the money is the man calling the shots, whether it makes football sense, or not.

which brings up another good point in the rankings, should you rank them based on their talent or on where you think they get drafted. As you said with DHB, I called the Dolphins taking Pat White in the 2nd round. Some of those picks you just see a fit even though you dont think they should go there. Anyway the Jags are going to be picking in the 10-15 range most likely, at least 1 probably 2 qbs will be gone by then and I dont think Tebow is one of them. So still I think he might go 1st round to the Jags to try to save them from a move to LA, however I dont think there is anyway he is the top ranked qb in this class as McShottey put.

Look at any mock draft done this early in the season and see how it compares with the actual draft. There is so much change, even at the top, after the season that the rankings at this point in October are irrelevant come draft season.

I am not talking about which team actual picks a certain player. I am just saying which players are ranked the highest. There is more change in rankings as you get lower but guys like Stafford, Curry, Smith, and Crabtree were always highly thought of.

At this point (he's only played one full game) Cruz it right, he's not even close to being a lock. All of the questions--spread offense, overall athleticism, arm strength, etc are amplified thanks to this injury.

I never said he was a lock. But you guys are writing him off as a top 10 or even top 5 pick already. There is no way I am willing to go that far.

So still I think he might go 1st round to the Jags to try to save them from a move to LA, however I dont think there is anyway he is the top ranked qb in this class as McShottey put.

Top ranked senior QB in this class as MSchottey put it

I rank the athlete first not the system or the competition. If you compare Tebow to former college QBs with his talents and abilities he compares favorably to Donovan McNabb. He has a great arm and decent mechanics. He throws a great deep ball (he just doesn't have to in the system very often). When throwing workouts happen, he'll be a lock first rounder. I do have four or five juniors ranked ahead of him.

Mike Schottey=Mschottey...not scottish

I rank the athlete first not the system or the competition. If you compare Tebow to former college QBs with his talents and abilities he compares favorably to Donovan McNabb. He has a great arm and decent mechanics. He throws a great deep ball (he just doesn't have to in the system very often). When throwing workouts happen, he'll be a lock first rounder. I do have four or five juniors ranked ahead of him.

Im sorry, but Tebow throws ducks a lot, his passing abilities are not impressive at all to me. The ball gets there but its not always pretty. He can run like a fb and avoids the pass rush really well, but he has open WR a lot because they stack the box to stop his running abilities.

Edited by Johnny Mac

I think its a perfect fit. We've got a Mel Cruzer Jr, now we have a Todd McSchottey.

There is no way Tebow is a lock first rounder. It is going to take some extremely impressive workouts for him to move into the first round. He has no where near the arm McNabb does.

I am not talking about which team actual picks a certain player. I am just saying which players are ranked the highest. There is more change in rankings as you get lower but guys like Stafford, Curry, Smith, and Crabtree were always highly thought of.

I wasn't talking about team picks either, I was talking about players.

In fact, you gave me perfect examples. Stafford was always considered a high talent, but Laurinaitis and Malaugua were long listed as the top LB's in the draft ahead of Curry. Jason Smith was hardly the top tackle listed at the end of football season generally ranked behind Andre Smith, Michael Oher and Eugene Monroe. Crabtree was still the SECOND receiver taken in the draft and (perhaps more importantly given the fact the Raiders are hardly normal) was PASSED over by teams with needs at WR (Rams, Seahawks, Browns, Jaguars, etc. etc.)

Mock Drafts are wonderful opinion pieces for talented sports analysts (including our own Mschotty) to grade college player talent and performance mid season, but irrelevant to the actual discussion of drafting.

There is no way Tebow is a lock first rounder. It is going to take some extremely impressive workouts for him to move into the first round. He has no where near the arm McNabb does.

Well, in my heart I don't believe he's a first rounder, either. I'm just going by Wayne Weaver's comments to try and bolster attendance, that they would draft Tebow. He's the owner, he can do what he wants.

I wasn't talking about team picks either' date=' I was talking about players.

In fact, you gave me perfect examples. Stafford was always considered a high talent, but Laurinaitis and Malaugua were long listed as the top LB's in the draft ahead of Curry. Jason Smith was hardly the top tackle listed at the end of football season generally ranked behind Andre Smith, Michael Oher and Eugene Monroe. Crabtree was still the SECOND receiver taken in the draft and (perhaps more importantly given the fact the Raiders are hardly normal) was PASSED over by teams with needs at WR (Rams, Seahawks, Browns, Jaguars, etc. etc.)

Mock Drafts are wonderful opinion pieces for talented sports analysts (including our own [b']Mschotty) to grade college player talent and performance mid season, but irrelevant to the actual discussion of drafting.

I was actually talking about Andre Smith, who I think was picked 6th overall. Laurinaitis was a borderline top 10 pick all along by any well respected draft site. Crabtree was a top 5 talent but fell for the reasons you mentioned. Aaron Curry was always very highly regarded, though Laurinaitis and Malaugua got all the headlines. I will give you Malaugua, Monroe, and Oher. There was some discrepancy to where those guys would get drafted but many good analysts had them getting drafted in the top ten at some point or another.

It seems to me there is more uncertainty with guys who are highly productive but lack the tools (Laurinaitis) and with the guys who have the tools but are inconsistent (Carlos Dunlap this year). But there is a select few that have both. I would consider McCoy and Suh almost locks to go into the top 10. And Mays and Berry are not far off from being at this level as well, although there is a little more question with them because they play the safety position. After those four though, I would agree with you that things could change a lot.

Well, in my heart I don't believe he's a first rounder, either. I'm just going by Wayne Weaver's comments to try and bolster attendance, that they would draft Tebow. He's the owner, he can do what he wants.

especially with that stadium in LA getting built, the Jags need to all they can to bolster their attendance.

I was actually talking about Andre Smith, who I think was picked 6th overall. Laurinaitis was a borderline top 10 pick all along by any well respected draft site. Crabtree was a top 5 talent but fell for the reasons you mentioned. Aaron Curry was always very highly regarded, though Laurinaitis and Malaugua got all the headlines. I will give you Malaugua, Monroe, and Oher. There was some discrepancy to where those guys would get drafted but many good analysts had them getting drafted in the top ten at some point or another.

It seems to me there is more uncertainty with guys who are highly productive but lack the tools (Laurinaitis) and with the guys who have the tools but are inconsistent (Carlos Dunlap this year). But there is a select few that have both. I would consider McCoy and Suh almost locks to go into the top 10. And Mays and Berry are not far off from being at this level as well, although there is a little more question with them because they play the safety position. After those four though, I would agree with you that things could change a lot.

One terrible showing in their bowl game would instantly cost McCoy and Suh.

Bowls make and break football players - and rightfully so. You can tell a lot about a player by how he plays his last college game (most of the players already have their minds made up).