Mschottey1985

2010 NFL Draft

I know this is wishful thinking, but it would also be nice if they could find a decent WR later in the draft, late first day/early second day. I'm guessing that's what they were trying to do with Williams this year. But we've seen the Packers take Greg Jennings later in the third round, the Broncos take Eddie Royal in the second round, the Bears take Johnny Knox in the fourth round and this year the Steelers take Mike Wallace in the third round. It sure would be nice if they could get this right.

I think Derrick Williams could eventually become a very solid #2.

Cruzer, what do you think of UConn's Lindsey Witten?

Mid rounder, but I need to see more of him, to see if he's able to put his hand in the ground, or is he a LB? He has good size for a LB, and that's where the NFL is going right now, but it's a tough year for a guy like him.

Here's my list.

Cruz and I obviously look at different things. He tends toward physical talent while I tend to care less about a 40-time if I know a guy can play.

Right now, it is looking like our biggest discrepancy is who we have coming out this year. I'm "senior-loaded" unless I feel I have a good handle on a guy coming out.

Other than that, I foresee about a billion Suh/McCoy and Mays/Berry arguments over the next six months.

QB--I'm taking Sam Bradford out because of his season ending surgery

1. Casey Clausen, ND

2. Jake Locker, Wash

3. Tony Pike, Cin

4. Tim Tebow, Fla

5. Colt McCoy, Tx

RB--Weak Class, I have more guys staying at the moment

1. CJ Spiller, Clemson

2. Jahvid Best, Cal

3. Charles Scott, LSU

4. Demarco Murray, OU

5. Toby Gerhart, Stanford (FB?)

WR

1. Dez Bryant, OSU

2. Mardy Gilyard, Cincy

3. Brandon Lafell, LSU

4. Eric Decker, Minn

5. Mike Williams, Syracuse

TE

1. Jermaine Gresham, OU

2. Ed Dickson, Oregon

3. Dennis Pitta, BYU

4. Anthony McCoy, USC

5. Garrett Graham, Wisc

OT

1. Bryan Bulaga, Iowa

2. Russell Okung, OSU

3. Trent Williams, Oklahoma

4. Charles Brown, USC

5. Selvish Capers, W. Va

Interior Linemen

1. Mike Iupati, Idaho

2. Matt Tennant, BC

3. Jon Asamoah, Ill

4. John Estes, Hawaii

5. Mitch Petrus, Arkansas

DE--I'm very high on Dunlap, but needs to improve on field

1. Greg Hardy, Ole Miss

2. Carlos Dunlap, Florida

3. Brandon Graham, MI

4. Brandon Lang, Troy

5. Jerry Hughes, TCU

DT

1. Ndamukong Suh, Neb

2. Gerald McCoy, Oklahoma

3. Arthur Jones, Syracuse

4. Jared Odrick, Penn State

5. Marvin Austin, NC

ILB

1. Brandon Spikes, Fla

2. Rolando McClain, Ala

3. Sean Lee, Penn State

4. AJ Edds, Iowa (OLB?)

5. Greg Jones, MSU

OLB--Year of the "Tweener"

1. Ricky Sapp, Clemson

2. Sean Witherspoon, Mizzou

3. Eric Norwood, S. Carolina

4. Sergio Kindle, Texas

5. George Selvie, S. Florida

CB--Very weak year until workouts

1. Eric Berry, Tenn (top ranked S and CB)

2. Joe Haden, Florida

3. Ras-I Dowling, W. Virginia

4. Brandon Ghee, Wake Forest

5. Patrick Robinson, FSU

S--one of the better S classes in a while

1a. Eric Berry, Tenn

1b. Taylor Mays, USC

1c. Myron Rolle, FSU

2. Nate Allen, S Florida

3. Darrell Stuckey, Kansas

BTW: How stupid does Sam Bradford feel right now?

Yeah. Luckily, he's still a junior and not a senior, so he has next year to build up his stock again.

Personally, I've ranked him low because

1) The backs above him are truly good backs. I think CJ Spiller will end up being the guy most of us thought McFadden would be. Best and Scott are niche backs but very good at what they do. Murray is probably a better all-around back than the two above him, but splitting carries with Chris Brown means he never was "the guy."

2) Injuries

I've seen him everywhere from a boarderline 1st rounder (in a HB heavy round) to a 4th rounder.

He is exciting to watch but I see him topping out as a poor man's Lawrence Maroney.

...I foresee about a billion Suh/McCoy and Mays/Berry arguments over the next six months.

What this means to me is that the Lions have a really good shot at picking up an impact player on the defensive side of the ball, wherever (in the top eight picks) we land. I feel good knowing that.

Actually, I think Cody is more the Lions type of DT. Speed kills in the NFL, the Lions should know that's how they've been beat. Why are Mike Wallace and Johnny Knox so successful?

Actually, I think Cody is more the Lions type of DT. Speed kills in the NFL, the Lions should know that's how they've been beat. Why are Mike Wallace and Johnny Knox so successful?

Speed, yes...but also having multiple threats around them not to mention top flight QBs. Speed is important, but other attributes are key as well.

Jerry Rice didn't get to where he was because of speed, Walter Peyton either or Dan Marino. Sometimes athletes have more than just speed.

Also, for the record, Suh is just as fast, if not faster than McCoy. We'll have to wait for official times but NFLDraftScout has both in the 4.9-5.0 range

I agree Suh plays with too high of a pad level but so did 90% of the Lions before this year. One of the things Schwartz has accomplished in his time so far is getting the defensive players lower.

If Suh is that dominant with his pads a little high, he has more room for growth.

Both can add weight to their frame which is a plus. Neither is a fat*** like Cody (who we should avoid like the plague). Both are dominant.

The more I think about it, the Lions likely are not going to have a shot at either McCoy or Suh. Defensive tackles are always highly regarded in the draft and the Lions are not likely to pick in the top five. Just looking at the draft board right now, I have to believe Suh and McCoy are going to be the top two non quarterbacks rated in the draft. It is somewhat unfortunate because both player provide skills at a position of desperate need right now for the Lions.

If there is an Adrian Peterson or Calvin Johnson available at our pick' date=' the Lions should take him.[/quote']

Does Taylor Mays qualify?

The more I think about it, the Lions likely are not going to have a shot at either McCoy or Suh. Defensive tackles are always highly regarded in the draft and the Lions are not likely to pick in the top five. Just looking at the draft board right now, I have to believe Suh and McCoy are going to be the top two non quarterbacks rated in the draft. It is somewhat unfortunate because both player provide skills at a position of desperate need right now for the Lions.

I agree with many of your sentiments Hart. But, looking at the moves of the organization, I wonder if they are truly interested in a first round defensive tackle. Grabbing Sammie Lee Hill and almost immediately trusting him to start, even though he's very raw spoke volumes. The constant movement of DTs on and off the practice squad says even more.

I think Schwartz and Mayhew might be trying to find a gem at DT other places than the first round. There are a lot of 315 pounders in the later rounds.

That being said, I don't believe the Lions would pass up Suh or McCoy if available. Just something to think about.

BTW, after ripping him in this thread. Patrick Robinson had a solid game last night, should have had a pick 6 except for a horrible blown call

They may very well end up picking top five and with Mays and Berry included, one of those DT's may drop. I'd much prefer DT than LT or S at this point. CB would be best but there doesn't appear to be much top ten value at that position.

Speed, yes...but also having multiple threats around them not to mention top flight QBs. Speed is important, but other attributes are key as well.

Jerry Rice didn't get to where he was because of speed, Walter Peyton either or Dan Marino. Sometimes athletes have more than just speed.

Also, for the record, Suh is just as fast, if not faster than McCoy. We'll have to wait for official times but NFLDraftScout has both in the 4.9-5.0 range

I agree Suh plays with too high of a pad level but so did 90% of the Lions before this year. One of the things Schwartz has accomplished in his time so far is getting the defensive players lower.

If Suh is that dominant with his pads a little high, he has more room for growth.

Both can add weight to their frame which is a plus. Neither is a fat*** like Cody (who we should avoid like the plague). Both are dominant.

Cody plays with better leverage than Suh. I project Suh to play LE in the NFL. As for Rice, he was as fast or faster than the players of his generation. He's also the exception, not the rule. He was also a first round pick. There are speed guys that get drafted in the mid rounds that have a great impact, especially for the Bears, Vikings and Packers. It's about time the Lions catch up with their division.

As for Rice, he was as fast or faster than the players of his generation. He's also the exception, not the rule. He was also a first round pick. There are speed guys that get drafted in the mid rounds that have a great impact, especially for the Bears, Vikings and Packers. It's about time the Lions catch up with their division.

Hines Ward, Anquan Boldin, Derrick Mason, etc...All guys who lack speed but have great receiving ability.

I definitely want the Lions to improve their speed but they also need to improve strength and size.

Since the Lions intentionally neglected both lines in this year's draft, they need to go heavy, heavy, heavy in linemen in the upcoming free agency/draft periods.

Since the Lions intentionally neglected both lines in this year's draft, they need to go heavy, heavy, heavy in linemen in the upcoming free agency/draft periods.

To say they neglected both lines is raising the drama bar. Brandon Pettigrew is a good in-line blocker, and Sammie Hill was starting when healthy. They spent three picks on defensive linemen in 2008, and their first rounder on the offensive line. The more they address both lines, the more they neglect their #1 team need... team speed.

Any thoughts on Cody, I mean yesterday the guy was an absolute beast. Blocking 2 consecutive FG's to win the game over Tenn....

Well, I think the Lions could be in good shape, drafting anywhere from 1-6. Many of the bottom teams have needs at positions the Lions won't fill that high (QB/WR/RB). Lions will get their pick of a super DT/OT. I wish they had more picks in this draft though, lots of holes could be filled. Hopefully they can swing a 1 for 2 deal in the first round, Mays seems to have slipped, I'd target him and a dline. Can they get anything for Sims is the question?

Checked some Mocks, I was thinking about Brandon Graham looks like his stock is too high, was hoping he would make it to the 2nd round.

Edited by DrWho17

Any thoughts on Cody, I mean yesterday the guy was an absolute beast. Blocking 2 consecutive FG's to win the game over Tenn....

Cody't stock is definitely rising after yesterday's performance. I am guessing he will see him pushed into the top 10 of analysts rankings pretty quick. He will most likely be the third DT taken behind Suh and McCoy. I would liken him to Shaun Rogers as far as talent. If the top tier of defensive players are off the board, I think Cody could be a good pick for the Lions.

Cody't stock is definitely rising after yesterday's performance. I am guessing he will see him pushed into the top 10 of analysts rankings pretty quick. He will most likely be the third DT taken behind Suh and McCoy. I would liken him to Shaun Rogers as far as talent. If the top tier of defensive players are off the board, I think Cody could be a good pick for the Lions.

I do like him alot, but he's also strictly a two down player. I do believe he fits the Lions profile of having two giants inside, and two fast guys outside better than the other two.