Mschottey1985

2010 NFL Draft

It's pretty far from April to accurately speculate on the draft, but with our pass defense the way it is, I think a pass rushing DE and a cover corner are needs 1a and 1b. A 1st/2nd round combination of Brandon Graham and Kyle Wilson is something I'd be very happy with.

I would agree with this and would add DT as the 3rd biggest need. I would love a first 3 rounds as something like this...

1) Dunlap-DE- Florida

2) Ghee- CB- WF

3) Oghobasse-DT-Duke

But with that said I would not be upset with Berry being the pick at all as imo hes one of the better defensive players in college football right now.

The Lions should be in good shape for the draft. I would imagine three quarterbacks will go in the top 10 (Bradford, Locker, Clausen, McCoy?) so that should open the door for some other guys to drop a little further than usual. And this draft is quite a bit stronger at the top than last years.

My top two choices would be Berry and McCoy, hands down. Forget that Berry is a safety. He is an absolute stud playmaker who would make a huge impact on defense immediately. If he drops to us because he is a safety, the Lions should snatch him immediately.

Brandon Graham at this point is a late first, early second rounder.

I haven't seen Suh play but I guess I would throw him in there with Berry and McCoy as well.

Guys that are 6'3 235 with the combination of speed & power like Taylor Mays don't fall far on most draft boards.

26rLxHZpiKQ

Turn the volume down on this one as it's better without the cheesy mashup.

RWroHILuG-I

I may be wrong but I think once people get a better look at him and really analyze the full package Jake Locker will emerge as the top QB in this draft. He's got great physical skills and throws on the run better than many current NFL starters. He's got to stay healthy the rest of the year or his injury history could become a concern to scouts.

Mays and Suh will almost certainly go 1 and 2, and I don't see the Lions picking that high unless Stafford is out for the season, and I'm counting on him being healthy. I both envy and sympathize with whichever team has the #1 pick.

Mays and Suh will almost certainly go 1 and 2, and I don't see the Lions picking that high unless Stafford is out for the season, and I'm counting on him being healthy. I both envy and sympathize with whichever team has the #1 pick.

I disagree. If you look at the handful of teams that have a shot at the #1 pick, pretty much all of them are going to be in dire need of quarterback, similar to the Lions situation last year. It is highly likely the #1 pick is a quarterback.

I disagree. If you look at the handful of teams that have a shot at the #1 pick, pretty much all of them are going to be in dire need of quarterback, similar to the Lions situation last year. It is highly likely the #1 pick is a quarterback.

And take who? Bradford who will basically have missed the whole year, he might even be back at Oklahoma next year. Colt McCoy? He hasnt looked that great this season. Jimmy Clausen? I doubt anyone would take him 1st.

To be honest, I think Honbit is right, if a qb goes 1 i think it might be Locker

And take who? Bradford who will basically have missed the whole year, he might even be back at Oklahoma next year. Colt McCoy? He hasnt looked that great this season. Jimmy Clausen? I doubt anyone would take him 1st.

To be honest, I think Honbit is right, if a qb goes 1 i think it might be Locker

Locker and Bradford will be the two top rated quarterbacks in the draft. I am not sure how scouts will treat Bradford but I would be surprised if he drops out of the top 5. I am also betting Locker to be the #1 pick.

Seeing as how the Lewand-Mayhew-Schwartz team has been together for all of one draft, it might be premature to say that drafting offense is "what they do".

And by the way, if the next Adrian Peterson was on the board at whatever slot the Lions get in 2010, would they be wrong to neglect defense and take him?

Two-thirds of that group has been around for much more than one year, and the defense was seriously neglected in the past. Last year, the Lions had the worst defense, possibly in NFL history. The first two selections were on offense with one being a tight end.

So far the group hasn't done much to break that offensive tradition that has been established in the past.

Two-thirds of that group has been around for much more than one year, and the defense was seriously neglected in the past. Last year, the Lions had the worst defense, possibly in NFL history. The first two selections were on offense with one being a tight end.

So far the group hasn't done much to break that offensive tradition that has been established in the past.

If the Lions could actually run the ball, it may allow the defense to improve because they wouldn't be on the field the entire game.

The Detroit Lions roster has precious few real quality players. To do anything less than to take the BPA wouldn't be real wise.

Edited by sportz4life

I would love to see the Lions look at Quentin Groves from Jacksonville' date=' or even Glenn Dorsey (if the price is right - maybe Julian Peterson?).

As far as the draft, I have faith that we will continue go BPA.

I think [b']Mschotty is pretty spot on placing the Lions around 8th in the draft. I expect us to finish ahead of the Redskins, Chiefs, Rams, Titans, Bucs, Panthers and Browns if not Bills and the Raiders.

I share cruzer's excitement in Murtha, I think he could be an absolute gem (think former UFA Jason Peters). I would not have any problem drafting a WR to give Stafford more weapons, but there is no huge holes that I would look to fix offensive in the first few rounds of the draft. I would like us to pick up some raw, physical interior line prospects in the later rounds.

Personally, I think the secondary is where we should focus. Eric Berry or Mays would be gems if they slide to us, but that depends on Ko Simpson's play the rest of the year.

Murtha doesn't have the footwork to play tackle. Peters was a find because he was a TE who bulked up. Murtha already has the bulk, but he doesn't have the footwork, and he probably never will.

I liked the pick as a flyer in the 7th round, but to expect him to be on the team next year or two years from now might be asking too much. Hope I'm wrong, though.

I want the Lions to get bigger and badder on the lines with the 8th pick. If there's no left tackle worth the pick, then take the best DT or DE unless there's a corner that blows your socks off that's still left.

Can't see them taking another safety that high.

I think they'll be going to a 3-4 nxt year. That will have an impact on the draft. They might think Hill and another year of Grady covers NT well enough...drafting aDT becomes less likely. They'll need more physical DE's though...not sure Flu, Cohen or White are suited for it....assuming Flu and Cohen are too small for NT.

If they go 3-4, I think they go LB and DB at 1-2....

Murtha doesn't have the footwork to play tackle. Peters was a find because he was a TE who bulked up. Murtha already has the bulk, but he doesn't have the footwork, and he probably never will.

I liked the pick as a flyer in the 7th round, but to expect him to be on the team next year or two years from now might be asking too much. Hope I'm wrong, though.

I want the Lions to get bigger and badder on the lines with the 8th pick. If there's no left tackle worth the pick, then take the best DT or DE unless there's a corner that blows your socks off that's still left.

Can't see them taking another safety that high.

His feet are his strength. He ran one of the better 40's for a tackle I've ever seen at the combine last year, showing his elite athleticism. He just needs more experience, and to stay healthy.

I disagree. McCoy is ahead of Suh right now. Suh plays too high. There are others, who can make their way into the top 10. I also like Locker.

Guys that are 6'3 235 with the combination of speed & power like Taylor Mays don't fall far on most draft boards.

I haven't been following him at all this year, hong, but is Damian Williams likely to leave after this season?

I haven't been following him at all this year, hong, but is Damian Williams likely to leave after this season?

He'd be a first rounder if he did. This is a loaded WR class.

If the Lions could actually run the ball, it may allow the defense to improve because they wouldn't be on the field the entire game.

The Detroit Lions roster has precious few real quality players. To do anything less than to take the BPA wouldn't be real wise.

We should not take the BPA if he is a wide receiver. Or a quarterback. Or a running back. Or a tight end.

Instead of being called "best player available", it should be called "best player on our draft board." Every team says they took the BPA when they pick. That means nothing to me anymore. When is the last time a team said the guy they picked wasn't the best player available?

We should not take the BPA if he is a wide receiver. Or a quarterback. Or a running back. Or a tight end.

Instead of being called "best player available", it should be called "best player on our draft board." Every team says they took the BPA when they pick. That means nothing to me anymore. When is the last time a team said the guy they picked wasn't the best player available?

I definitely agree. The draft board should be weighted, but trade downs must be kept in mind. This is a deep draft, so the Lions would be best served having multiple picks.

He'd be a first rounder if he did. This is a loaded WR class.

Agreed...Not in terms of "top-10" talent, but it seems like it should be deep, which could be nice for a club like Detroit. I was impressed with Schottey's WR list, and he doesn't include Benn or Williams (they're both juniors).

I agree, though I've never bought the "BPA" idea (which is probably why I'm not a scout). It seems like many of these guys are close enough, talent-wise, you should be able to draft both for need and "best player" (obviously with some exceptions).

Again, I was disappointed we didn't address the defensive line last season. I get that you can't build a team in a year, but our defense was historically bad. We were a field goal a game worse than the next worst defense in the league (St. Louis). This season, the defense remains the reason why we don't have a competitive football team. We're giving up roughly the same points per game (31.3), and if it wasn't for Tennessee's ridiculous thrashing this past Sunday, we'd still be the worst defense in football. They need help along the line and in coverage. It needs to be addressed early in the draft.

-Tony

I'm well aware that Lewand and Mayhew were here during Millen's tenure. But by all accounts, Millen routinely disregarded the opinions of his scouts and coaches in draft decisions. I don't think it is accurate or helpful to view the current regime as a continuation of the previous regime. Millen was a bad GM - a bad talent evaluator, a bad drafter, and bad at listening to anyone who didn't share his opinion. He's gone now.

In particular, it doesn't seem plausible that Mayhew, a former DB, and Jim Schwartz, a former defensive coordinator, would get in a draft room and say "We can let defense slide; let's pick us some flashy offensive players." I'm willing to say that, the way the board fell, they had the opportunity to add some offensive players that promised to make the offense a strength. And when Stafford and Johnson are healthy, the offense shows signs of becoming really strong.

Let's hope they use their top three picks in the 2010 draft on defense.

Negatives: Stiff in the upper body. Lacks the foot speed to recover on inside moves. Inconsistent speed to get to the second level; lumbers on some plays and looks fluid on others. Overextends when pass rushers free themselves after the initial blow. Slow and ineffective on cut blocks, whether on the line or trying to reach a blitzer on the outside. Needs better second effort if quarterback scrambles away from him. Injury history is a major issue.

National Football League: NFL Draft 2009 - Lydon Murtha

Stiff, problems with footwork, injury concerns.

Good tackles don't fall to the seventh round if there aren't serious red flags.

I'm well aware that Lewand and Mayhew were here during Millen's tenure. But by all accounts, Millen routinely disregarded the opinions of his scouts and coaches in draft decisions. I don't think it is accurate or helpful to view the current regime as a continuation of the previous regime. Millen was a bad GM - a bad talent evaluator, a bad drafter, and bad at listening to anyone who didn't share his opinion. He's gone now.

In particular, it doesn't seem plausible that Mayhew, a former DB, and Jim Schwartz, a former defensive coordinator, would get in a draft room and say "We can let defense slide; let's pick us some flashy offensive players." I'm willing to say that, the way the board fell, they had the opportunity to add some offensive players that promised to make the offense a strength. And when Stafford and Johnson are healthy, the offense shows signs of becoming really strong.

Let's hope they use their top three picks in the 2010 draft on defense.

I don't think it's fair to judge Mayhew or Lewand because of Millen either. However, I will say that the only people I remember saying that Millen didn't listen to scouts were Mayhew and the people trying to keep their jobs after Millen left. I'd take that with a grain of salt as it's probably more cya than truth.

I don't think it's fair to judge Mayhew or Lewand because of Millen either. However, I will say that the only people I remember saying that Millen didn't listen to scouts were Mayhew and the people trying to keep their jobs after Millen left. I'd take that with a grain of salt as it's probably more cya than truth.

Maybe so, but I can believe that Millen is the kind of guy who would not give a damn what anybody else told him and overrule his entire staff on draft day. Anyway, my point was that it probably isn't accurate to say that this staff has a pattern of picking offensive players because Millen picked several busts at QB and WR. If they leave a dominating DT on the board next season to pick a RB in the first round, though, we'll have good reason to be upset.

The best way to improve the defense is by getting defensive players. To suggest that there haven't been people that make sense as the BPA over the last few years on the defensive side of the ball when the Lions consistently make offensive selections is hard to believe. Once you get beyond pick No. 3 several people can be argued the BPA. To think Mr. X is clearly that guy is flat out silly.

Like I've said the last couple drafts, if the Lions actually are on the board and there isn't a player on the defensive side of the ball and on the offensive line that doesn't make sense as the BPA, they have to be the unluckiest franchise in sports history - from AYSO to the pros.