Mschottey1985

2010 NFL Draft

Well, its the bye week, about that time.

Did my October version of the 2010 Mock. Here's Detroit's picks.

8. Detroit Eric Berry (S/CB Tennessee)

No defensive player in the 2010 Draft has the instincts and ability that Eric Berry has. He'll run around a 4.4 at the combine and solidify his top 10 status.

Detroit could go a lot of ways with this pick, but the intrigue of pairing Berry with Delmas for the next 10 years will be too alluring. Now to work on that defensive line...

40) Detroit: Marvin Austin (DT North Carolina)

Best player available is also at a position of need for the Lions with this selection. The Lions are looking for another big hoss up front and Austin fits the bill. The Tar Heel is 6'3", over 300 lbs., and runs like a middle linebacker.

Here's the rest of the Draft

More than likely it'll be

OT -

WR/RB

Every year I hope the Lions take defense seriously. Every year they disappoint me.

They're only picking 8th? Are you projecting a relatively successful 12 remaining games for the Lions? I would suspect the Lions pick 5th at the lowest, and they still have a good chance of getting the 1st overall pick again -- especially if Daunte and Stanton are the starting QBs the rest of the year.

In the abstract I thought that was too low for Eric Berry though looking at the list it's not completely unrealistic. GREAT player, him or Mays.

Clausen doesn't have similar arm strength to Stafford, Jimmy will probably be a top-10 pick but I'd guess Jake Locker goes before him.

If you don't think Clausen has done much in college you might want to pull up his stat sheet for this year, he should be in the Heisman conversation, he's having an amazing year.

More than likely it'll be

OT -

WR/RB

Every year I hope the Lions take defense seriously. Every year they disappoint me.

I just don't think the OT position will have value for a team that was so intent on BPA last year.

They're only picking 8th? Are you projecting a relatively successful 12 remaining games for the Lions? I would suspect the Lions pick 5th at the lowest, and they still have a good chance of getting the 1st overall pick again -- especially if Daunte and Stanton are the starting QBs the rest of the year.

Nope, but I take a hands off approach to draft order. I copy and pasted the order from Walter Football on Saturday and didn't make any changes. At the end of the year when it solidifies order matters, otherwise, its a crap shoot.

Hopefully the Lions can eke out two more wins and stay around #8

In the abstract I thought that was too low for Eric Berry though looking at the list it's not completely unrealistic. GREAT player, him or Mays.

Clausen doesn't have similar arm strength to Stafford, Jimmy will probably be a top-10 pick but I'd guess Jake Locker goes before him.

If you don't think Clausen has done much in college you might want to pull up his stat sheet for this year, he should be in the Heisman conversation, he's having an amazing year.

I think Clausen is outside of the convo after USC even though he had a really good second half. However, "not doing anything" is still a solid analysis when comparing him to the career numbers of McCoy, Stafford, Tebow.

I was just making a sarcastic post more than anything. But it wouldn't shock me to see the Lions use their first two picks to select a RB, OT or a WR. It's just what they do - neglect defense so that they can improve that potent offense of theirs.

1. The Lions will be picking much higher.

2. Eric Berry will never last that long.

Mock drafts are fun but such a crapshoot.

I wouldn't mind Berry. We seriously need a pass rushing DE instead of a big hog in the middle. Hill and Cohen seem to be coming along and they're both 300+ lbs. We could get one in the second round though. Brandon Graham will be another Woodley or better.

The Lions have so many holes on defense that they could draft almost any position and it would be an immediate upgrade.

DE, DT or CB seem like they should be the first priorities. Take the highest player on their draft boards at one of those positions and they should be fine.

Or a LT because they desperately need one of those too.

Any chance the Cowboys want to give up a #1 pick for Dennis Northcutt? Oh well, dare to dream, right?

Berry would be fine if they intend to keep him at CB. I think two first rounders at safety is a bit of overkill though.

Who is our other first round safety?

pairing Berry with Delmas for the next 10 years will be too alluring

I love when people assume that these kids will be playing 10 years of football, let alone all in the same place. Does that happen anymore?

I like Eric Berry, but I don't feel he's worth that type of pick, unless he runs an unexpected freakish 40. The Lions need linemen and corners much more, so safety would be a wasted pick right now. The 3 guys they need to hone in on right now are 1. Gerald McCoy (the best player in the draft right now, almost a perfect player who's a menace every play); 2. Nda Suh (he plays much higher than McCoy, and might be a better fit as a LDE); and 3. Carlos Dunlap (he might have the most physical ability, but doesn't show up on every play right now. He might be suffering from the same problems Mario Williams had, he gets doubled on every play, and plays multiple positions). At corner, there isn't the high rent type as the two safeties (I think Mays has better talent than Berry), but there are those that will be there in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. There's really good talent and depth at QB, WR, OL, DL, OLB (phenomenal year), ILB and good year at CB and S. At this time, I think the high end talent is a little down from last year, but it's a little deeper.

By the way, I think the Lions got a real gem last year in Murtha, who has the physical ability to develop into a top LT in my mind. LT shouldn't be much of a consideration this year, but if there's a player in the 2nd or 3rd who's too good to pass up, the Lions need to consider it at that time. QB isn't a consideration at all, TE isn't a consideration either. All other positions are up for grabs.

I would love to see the Lions look at Quentin Groves from Jacksonville, or even Glenn Dorsey (if the price is right - maybe Julian Peterson?).

As far as the draft, I have faith that we will continue go BPA.

I think Mschotty is pretty spot on placing the Lions around 8th in the draft. I expect us to finish ahead of the Redskins, Chiefs, Rams, Titans, Bucs, Panthers and Browns if not Bills and the Raiders.

I share cruzer's excitement in Murtha, I think he could be an absolute gem (think former UFA Jason Peters). I would not have any problem drafting a WR to give Stafford more weapons, but there is no huge holes that I would look to fix offensive in the first few rounds of the draft. I would like us to pick up some raw, physical interior line prospects in the later rounds.

Personally, I think the secondary is where we should focus. Eric Berry or Mays would be gems if they slide to us, but that depends on Ko Simpson's play the rest of the year.

Black entered the year a late first-rounder, but scouts are iffy on his athleticism, and he hasn't performed as well as he did as junior (thus far). Regardless, he had two really sharp seasons in a tough conference, is a big dude and a great character guy. He's played against some top ends in his career at LSU. If he's available in the second, I'd be tempted to take him.

Regarding Berry...He's a fun guy to watch, and he (or Dunlap) would be the best guy available in that mock. But adding a second safety to a team with no cover corners or pass rushers would be pretty frustrating. In your mock, I'd probably opt for Dunlap/Black, or maybe McCoy/Black depending on how the other ends grade out.

-Tony

Edited by TonyJM

I was just making a sarcastic post more than anything. But it wouldn't shock me to see the Lions use their first two picks to select a RB, OT or a WR. It's just what they do - neglect defense so that they can improve that potent offense of theirs.

Seeing as how the Lewand-Mayhew-Schwartz team has been together for all of one draft, it might be premature to say that drafting offense is "what they do".

And by the way, if the next Adrian Peterson was on the board at whatever slot the Lions get in 2010, would they be wrong to neglect defense and take him?

Seeing as how the Lewand-Mayhew-Schwartz team has been together for all of one draft, it might be premature to say that drafting offense is "what they do".

And by the way, if the next Adrian Peterson was on the board at whatever slot the Lions get in 2010, would they be wrong to neglect defense and take him?

He's not there, though. But I'd do that in a second.

If there is an Adrian Peterson or Calvin Johnson available at our pick' date=' the Lions should take him.[/quote']

I would personally rather have CJ Spiller than any of the offensive tackles in this draft. If the top defensive guys are gone, and a trade down isn't available, CJ would be my pick.

It's pretty far from April to accurately speculate on the draft, but with our pass defense the way it is, I think a pass rushing DE and a cover corner are needs 1a and 1b. A 1st/2nd round combination of Brandon Graham and Kyle Wilson is something I'd be very happy with.

It's pretty far from April to accurately speculate on the draft, but with our pass defense the way it is, I think a pass rushing DE and a cover corner are needs 1a and 1b. A 1st/2nd round combination of Brandon Graham and Kyle Wilson is something I'd be very happy with.

Both of those players are rather small, although they are physical players. I don't see Graham going that high, he's more likely a solid 2nd rounder.

I would personally rather have CJ Spiller than any of the offensive tackles in this draft. If the top defensive guys are gone, and a trade down isn't available, CJ would be my pick.

RB's are a dime a dozen. The Lions picked up Brown in the 6th, and Tristan Davis as an UDFA last year. I think they're fine there.

Trevard Lindley CB University of Kentucky

Micah Johnson LB University Of Kentucky

Cory Peters DT University of Kentucky

Seeing a pattern here??

:-)

Trevard Lindley CB University of Kentucky

Micah Johnson LB University Of Kentucky

Cory Peters DT University of Kentucky

Seeing a pattern here??

:-)

Nope, not at all.

Lindley needs to run, but he's got good size, and should be a 2nd/bottom first. If he runs extremely well, the sky's the limit.