KleShreen

****. Franzen out "minimum" of 4 months

What a bloody shame. A guy like Bertuzzi is really going to need to step it up.

Wow. We need Helm back real soon. That one really hurts the Wings and we're in big trouble if Abdelkader is the man that we're looking to come back up and fill in the missing piece left by Franzen.

nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!

nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!

This is what my apartment just sounded like.

Bad, bad news. The Mule is The Man.

Wings haven't looked good the first three games. This could get ugly.

While I agree they didn't look good in Stockholm, they weren't bad last night.

Losing Mule hurts, but the Wings have the depth to get through it.

Shanahan anyone? Seems like he is tough enough to stand in front of a net

Yep. I have heard Brendan will be here to talk to Ken Holland this weekend. Don't be surprised to see him signed by the middle of next week.

I'll take Shanny back. But how is that going to work with the salary cap? I thought they were maxed out?

I'll take Shanny back. But how is that going to work with the salary cap? I thought they were maxed out?

IR doesnt count against the cap.

Ken Holland rules out possibility of Red Wings signing Brendan Shanahan | Snapshots - MLive.com

The New Jersey Devils and former Wings forward Brendan Shanahan ended their professional relationship recently, and his free-agent status had the Sporting News's Craig Custance wondering whether the Red Wings, now unencumbered by Johan Franzen's salary and in need of some scoring punch, might bring the 40-year-old back to Detroit for a curtain call. Red Wings GM Ken Holland didn't hesitate in issuing a reply:

October 9, The Sporting News: "I'm not looking at him," Holland told SportingNews.com.

Franzen will be placed on long-term injured reserve which will temporarily free up $4 million in salary cap space for the Red Wings, but, as Holland pointed out, that cushion disappears when Franzen returns. Factor in the off-season losses with Franzen's injury and the offensive depth Detroit once enjoyed is gone.

"It's the system," Holland said. "Everybody is dealing with it. We're no different. We're going to deal with it and we're going to compete."

Franzen will wait two or three weeks for the swelling to go down before undergoing surgery to repair the knee. In the meantime, Holland said expectations in Detroit aren't changing. This is a team that still expects to compete for the Stanley Cup.

"I believe we have a good defense. Our team knows how to win. Offensively, we have [Henrik] Zetterberg, [Pavel] Datsyuk, [Valtteri] Filppula, [Dan] Cleary," Holland said. "We're missing a 35 to 40 goal scorer. So be it. We'll get him back in March. Until then, we have to find ways to win."

As Holland says "So be it". As long as this doesn't cause the Wings to sink lower than the #4 seed in the conference, they will be strong Stanley Cup contenders.

I like how people were saying Osgood bounced back from a slow start of the season to play well last night. Last night was only his 2nd game!

Team Sweden's chances of repeating in the 2010 Olympics just got a lot smaller. Im assuming we will see more of Patrick Eaves now? Ville and Valterri need to step up bigtime.

Well, what if this dilemma comes up....

Franzen gets healthy in time for the Olympics. Does he go? How would the Wings react if he does? Tough to tell someone not to go to the Olympics when your Assistant GM is running the Canadian team and your head coach is coaching the team.

If Franzen does go, does it sharpen him up before he comes back to the Wings?

Who's gonna yank the mouthpiece out of Patrick Kane's mouth now?

Well, what if this dilemma comes up....

Franzen gets healthy in time for the Olympics. Does he go? How would the Wings react if he does? Tough to tell someone not to go to the Olympics when your Assistant GM is running the Canadian team and your head coach is coaching the team.

If Franzen does go, does it sharpen him up before he comes back to the Wings?

Who's gonna yank the mouthpiece out of Patrick Kane's mouth now?

I'd like to see him not go to the olympics, but I'd understand if he did.

But then once Mule comes back, wouldn't we have to release whoever we get to replace him?

Yep, which is why Holland isnt making any major moves. If Mule were out for the year, Shanny would definitely be in, I think.

Man, 40 from Hossa, 19 from Samuelsson, 23 from Hudler and now 34 from Franzen. I just do not see how they can over come so many goals from last year by bringing up rookie. I know it's a cap league but I can't see how they'll be competitive this year, especially since the Central has improved greatly.