caseyo4

Tigers coaches all back except Van Slyke...

Per Jason Beck's Twitter...

Tigers coaches all coming back except Andy Van Slyke, who's pursuing other opportunities.

Commence McClendon bashing....now...

I'm going to miss AVS. I thought he was a great fit in the Tigers franchise. I'm sure he'll find some good things elsewhere.

Wow. The one guy I really liked is leaving. (Van Slyke)

Oh well, if all the coaches remain you can probably bet that this spring training more work will be spent on getting runners from third home with less than 2 outs..ala 2007 spring training working on pitchers fielding skills.

I wonder if there is a story behind the story?

Any friction between Leyland and Van Slyke?

I've been thinking he would be a good candidate to replace Leyland when he hangs them up.

I assume that means in baseball?? I wonder if quietly Jose Oquendo is putting together a staff to take over for TLR? If LA sweeps STL, I don't see how LaRussa sticks around, not because STL doesn't want him, but because he might not want to stay. Otherwise, I wonder if AVS would be in line for a AA or AAA manager job?? Interesting, that is too bad, I've always liked having him on the Tigers staff?

I wonder if there is a story behind the story?

Any friction between Leyland and Van Slyke?

I've been thinking he would be a good candidate to replace Leyland when he hangs them up.

Based on what credentials?

There is NO way that I'll accept the Tigers EVER hiring someone with ZERO manager experience.

I wish they had gotten another hitting coach.

Inge and Laird would have been .300 hitters and we'd score 900 runs next season.

Damn. I really liked Van Slyke. Hopefully we can find a way to get him back. But he's probably looking at getting a managerial job at AAA level or something so he can have a better shot in a year or two at getting a MLB managers job. Heck, maybe he will come back as our manager in 2011 or something? I think this contract extension for Jim is his last. He's looking really old and tired -and many times I say out loud that I'm worried about him.

Van Slyke deserves a chance at managing at some point, so if he has a good opportunity to move up, he should by all means. Great guy.

This truly sucks because I think he was helping Raburn to improve. I guess turn Al Kaline loose on Ryan this ST (and make sure Al is having a bad day to boot!).

I think the coaches are generally insignifigant.

What about the training/medical staff?

There is still an opening on the staff, then. I can still hold out hope that Lloyd is re-assigned to a job similar to the one Van Slyke held and a new hitting instructor is brought in.

If DD wants to go to a more discipline approach next season, that does go against the aggressive, free-swinging approach that seemed to be endorsed this season.

Why do people like Van Slyke? What did he do?

Besides 1B I believe he worked with coaching baserunning and stealing. Also the outfielders and positioned the players in the outfield during the game.

Somebody was putting extra time with Cabrera at 1b working on his defense. I can't remember if it was Vanslyke or Leyland. Does anyone remember?

I'm pretty sure it wasn't Carlos Guillen though.

Somebody was putting extra time with Cabrera at 1b working on his defense. I can't remember if it was Vanslyke or Leyland. Does anyone remember?

I recall it being Leyland and infield coach Rafael Belliard.

why do people like van slyke more than mcclendon!??

...he was in charge of base running an OFers...

we were one of the worst base running teams in baseball during his entire tenure.

we are one of the only teams in baseball that has more errors in its OF than in its IF. (seemingly, down the stretch especially...guillen, maggs, raburn)