Todd

Tigers at Seattle game 2

Time: 10:05 p.m. EST Venue: Safeco Field

GAME: Detroit Tigers (28-76) at Seattle Mariners (64-42).

TIME: Wednesday, 10:05 p.m. EDT.

For Bret Boone, four-RBI games are becoming commonplace.

Boone looks to continue his offensive surge as the Mariners play the middle game of their three-game series against the Detroit Tigers at Safeco Field.

The hot-hitting second baseman was 3-for-4 with a homer and four RBIs in Tuesday's 11-5 rout of the Tigers in the opening game of the set.

Edgar Martinez and John Olerud also homered and drove in three runs apiece, and Gil Meche ended a personal four-game losing streak for the AL West-leading Mariners, who bounced back after losing two straight to Texas.

Boone is hitting .364 (8-for-22) through seven games of the Mariners' current 12-game homestand with three homers, seven runs scored and nine RBIs.

Tuesday's four-RBI game was his second during the homestand and seventh of the season. He was 2-for-3 with two homers and four RBIs in Friday's 11-5 win over the Rangers.

Dmitri Young, Bobby Higginson and Kevin Witt homered for the Tigers, who own the worst record in the majors.

With 58 games remaining, Detroit is on pace to lose 118 after dropping 106 last season. The Tigers had a franchise-record 109 defeats in 1996.

The Tigers made three errors Tuesday - the eighth time this season they committed at least three miscues in a game. Their 88 errors are the most in the AL.

STANDINGS: Tigers - 5th place, 29 GB, AL Central. Mariners - 1st place, AL West.

TIGERS PROBABLE STARTER: Nate Cornejo (5-8, 4.40 ERA). Cornejo is 2-1 with a 2.56 ERA over his last three starts, including Thursday's 7-4 victory over Cleveland. The 24-year-old right-hander allowed three runs and nine hits over 6 2-3 innings, striking four without issuing a walk. Cornejo lost his only career start against the Mariners, allowing five runs and eight hits, including three homers, over five innings of a 6-3 loss on May 17.

MARINERS PROBABLE STARTER: Jamie Moyer (13-5, 3.46 ERA). Moyer is 3-0 with a 4.49 ERA over his last five starts after losing his three previous outings. The veteran left-hander allowed five runs and eight hits over five innings of Friday's 11-5 victory over Texas, striking out three and walking two. Moyer is 8-6 with a 2.78 ERA in 23 career appearances, including 16 starts, against the Tigers.

OFFENSIVE LEADERS: Tigers - Young, .285 avg., 21 HRs, 59 RBIs and 53 runs; Alex Sanchez, 20 SBs. Mariners - Ichiro Suzuki, .342 avg. and 27 SBs; Boone, 28 HRs, 87 RBIs and 77 runs.

SEASON SERIES: Mariners, 6-1.

STREAKS AND NOTES: Tigers - OF Higginson is hitting .467 (7-for-15) since returning from the DL on Friday. ... Detroit has at least one extra-base hit in each of its last 42 games, the team's longest streak of the season. ... The Tigers are 12-33 in their last 45 games against opponents from the AL West, dating to last season. Mariners - OF Suzuki got his 600th career hit Tuesday and had his 50th multihit game of the season. ... OF Randy Winn is hitting .347 (33-for-95) over his last 25 games. ... With SS Carlos Guillen hobbled with a groin injury, the Mariners acquired INF Rey Sanchez from the New York Mets on Tuesday for minor league OF Kenny Kelly - a former college quarterback at Miami.

ROAD/HOME RECORDS: Tigers - 15-39 on the road; Mariners - 31-23 at home.

INJURIES: Tigers - C A.J. Hinch (groin), 15-day DL; INF Dean Palmer (shoulder and neck), 60-day DL. Mariners - INF Jeff Cirillo (shoulder), 15-day DL; INF Greg Colbrunn (wrist), 15-day DL; RHP Kazuhiro Sasaki (ribs), 15-day DL.

Detroit

A. Sanchez cf .283

W. Morris 2b 0 .273

B. Higginson rf .247

D. Young 3b .285

K. Witt dh .296

C. Monroe lf .225

C. Pena 1b .252

B. Petrick c .200

R. Santiago ss .225

Seattle

I. Suzuki rf .342

R. Winn lf .280

B. Boone 2b .306

E. Martinez dh .298

J. Olerud 1b .271

M. Cameron cf .269

M. McLemore ss .218

D. Wilson c .252

W. Bloomquist 3b .211

Detroit

N. Cornejo 4.40

Seattle

J. Moyer 3.46

Sanchez hits a single, Morris pops out, Higginson walks, Sanchez to 2nd, Young hits a single, Sanchez is thrown out at home, Higginson goes to 2nd, Witt grounds into a force at 3rd, 0-0 mid 1st

Sanchez is horrible. He gave himself up instead of running hard through the catcher. I went to Comisky a few weeks ago for two of the Tiger - White Sox games. I understand the reasons Milwaulkee got rid of him. He gives the appearance that he will try hard when he wants. If I was Trammell, I would have pulled him after that awful run into the plate tonight. Sissy Sanchez.

Olerud - 3 run dinger, 4-0 Mariners bottom of first. Dang that team sure is impressive.

Originally posted by Franks151

Dmitri is just brutal at 3rd.

Agreed. Dmitri is bad at 3rd but I put the blame on Tram for continuing putting him at 3rd base. He could put Halter if he wanted to. I'm really starting to question some of the decisions Tram has made and the comments about Loux "he has average stuff." I'm sure that made Loux feel good about himself.

Will we see Loux and his average stuff again tonight? Who else do we have besides him, because it looks like Cornejo won't be out there very long tonight.

Originally posted by JonBenke

WOW -- is Eric Munson really that bad, against lefties?

He's hurt today....if I read correctly, he's going to be out the entire series.

If Young fields that ball, it's still 0-0. If Winn, doesn't throw Sanchez out, we could still be batting.

Defense is important.

It's painful to watch Petrick throw the ball back to the pitcher. He's still battling the yips.

Remember that catcher the Phillies had that couldn't throw the ball back to the pitcher? Now that was painful to watch!

The ChiSox are killing K.C. tonight. It looks like the Royals lead will only be 2 games after tonight. K.C. needs Sweeney back soon.

Suzuki hits a single, Winn is safe at 1st on a Young error, Ichiro goes to 2nd, Boone pops out, Martinez hits a single, Ichiro scores and Winn goes to 3rd, Olerud hits a homerun, Boone and Martinez score, Cameron hits a double, McLemore grounds out, Cameron to 3rd, Wilson hits a double, Cameron scores, Bloomquist hits an infield single, Wilson to 3rd, Ichiro walks, Bases loaded, Winn hits a homerun, wilson, Bloomquist and Ichiro score, Sparks comes into pitch, Boone grounds out, 9-0 Seattle after 1 :depress:

Originally posted by DET Mr Malefic

Who else do we have besides him

Oh yeah, I forgot about Sparks. He may end up throwing 8 innings unless the Tigers do the near-impossible and pull what the Phillies pulled on that I saw on ESPN Classic earlier today. And that probably won't happen, sadly.

Wow they're out of the first inning. Nice to see this team throwing in the towel. There is no fight in this team at all.

Originally posted by TigersMeow

There is no fight in this team at all.

Now there's an idea. Let's start a fight! I'd love to see Suzuki and Edgar get in a scrap with Ramon Santiago and Matt Walbeck. This game will be "Blah" the rest of the night anyway.