THECATMAC

Name all the Positive reasons why the Tigers will win the 1 game playoff,,,

Don Kelly will not even be allowed to shag flies in batting practice.

LMAO, I hope they left him in Detroit....just so Leyland doesn't have the option to use him in that OF.

They ended up with the best record in the A.L. so they got to choose whether to start Wednesday or Thursday. This playoff game REALLY should have been played today and if the Twins couldn't host it, oh well, come to Detroit and play. A total edge for the Yankees, as if they needed it.

So every team with the league's best record gets to choose which day the playoffs start? When did this happen?

So every team with the league's best record gets to choose which day the playoffs start? When did this happen?

Yep. That is silly as hell but that has been the case for a number of years now.

Really unfair.

Because the Penguins were given no chance in a 1-game winner take all game @ Detroit this past June and we know how that turned out. Porcello just needs to weather the storm the first few innings.

Why is this? Why are they allowing the Yankees to dictate which day the playoffs start? Doesn't that automatically give them a competitive edge, because it allows them to pick the day that best suits their needs?

I don't remember this ever being done; has it?

I believe it's a new reward they give to the team with the best record.

Yep. That is silly as hell but that has been the case for a number of years now.

Really unfair.

It's all about the almighty network money. I just think it's unfair of MLB to allow this to happen. Either insist the game be played Monday or tell the Yankees too bad, the series starts Thursday. To make either the Tigers or Twins play a playoff game and start the series the next day is an unfair advantage. But I blame the Twins. Sharing a field? Too bad, either come to Detroit on Monday or forfeit. It's like we're being penalized because they scheduled a football game for their stadium on Monday night. Why not cancel the football game until Tuesday? Yup, the almighty network money is the answer again.

Because the Penguins were given no chance in a 1-game winner take all game @ Detroit this past June and we know how that turned out. Porcello just needs to weather the storm the first few innings.

Good example. I remember being SO confident the Wings were going to win that game 7. In my mind, there was no way Pittsburgh was going to win that game. It still hurts to think about that night....

"Wanna know how I know you're gay?" :)

Excuse me but I consider myself a lesbian trapped in a mans body! Thankyouverymuch.

The Twins have won 4 straight games so they are due for a loss.

Even the '27 Yankees lost every 5th day!

I have a feeling the Twins luck is going to run out. The Tigers are a consistent team. They have not "choked" down the stretch overall. They have played at the same month-to-moth consistency all season. Its the Twins who came out of nowhere in September and played about 5 times better than their seasonal average. I think if the Tigers can get a few-run lead, the Twins will start to press. And wouldnt it be extra sweet if a metrodump-style bloop or error goes AGAINST the Twins?

GO TIGERS!

This. Bullseye.

...and wouldn't it be cool if the game ended when Miggy shoved one of the Twins off first base and recorded an out Kent Hrbek style?

okay, some good porcello for game 163 mvp stats. here we go.

in august and september porcello's ERA and WHIP are...

august: 3.16 ERA 1.05 WHIP

september: 3.22 ERA 1.24 WHIP

5-2 record

he's been a beast for this team lately and outside of maybe verlander, has been our most consistent pitcher. even leyland said the one thing he's definitely not worried about is porcello being nervous.

twins lineup vs. porcello this year:

span - 3 for 11, .273 avg

cabrera - 1 for 12, .083 avg

mauer - 1 for 9, .111 avg

kubel - 8 for 11, .727 avg (okay, don't pitch to him)

cuddyer - 2 for 9, .222 avg

young - 4 for 9, .444 avg (at least no home runs)

punto - 1 for 6, .167 avg

tolbert 2 for 5, .400 avg (see young memo)

morales - 2 for 6, .333 avg (no extra base hits)

only 3 hitters in the lineup are hitting above .350 vs. porcello this year.

in 93 at bats this year, the twins only have 2 home runs against porcello. one of them to morneau who of course is not playing. he's gonna keep the ball in the ballpark. another reason that he doesn't give up big innings. if our offense can put together 4-5 runs, i really think we win.

and some solid stats that will prove our offense will do that....

all stats against baker this year:

granderson - in 11ab, has only struck out once. at the very least, he's gonna put the ball in play. could also mean he's due for a big game.

polanco - 3 for 6, .500 avg

ordonez - 6 for 11, .545 avg

cabrera - 4 for 11 with a HR, .364 avg

guillen - 3 for 6, .500 avg

thames - 3 for 8 with a HR, .375 avg

inge - in 8ab, has only struck out once. see granderson memo.

laird - 2 for 5, .400 avg

santiago - 4 for 10, .400 avg

raburn and huff have not hit against him this season btw.

so as you can see, 7 players of the 9 players above who could be in the lineup tomorrow (pretty good reason most will be in the lineup tomorrow) are hitting .350 or above against baker this year. that, combined with a consistent game by porcello/bullpen gives us a solid 5-4 win. okay, let's move on to new york boys.

Edited by NJTiger

okay, some good porcello for game 163 mvp stats. here we go.

in august and september porcello's ERA and WHIP are...

august: 3.16 ERA 1.05 WHIP

september: 3.22 ERA 1.24 WHIP

5-2 record

he's been a beast for this team lately and outside of maybe verlander, has been our most consistent pitcher. even leyland said the one thing he's definitely not worried about is porcello being nervous.

twins lineup vs. porcello this year:

span - 3 for 11, .273 avg

cabrera - 1 for 12, .083 avg

mauer - 1 for 9, .111 avg

kubel - 8 for 11, .727 avg (okay, don't pitch to him)

cuddyer - 2 for 9, .222 avg

young - 4 for 9, .444 avg (at least no home runs)

punto - 1 for 6, .167 avg

tolbert 2 for 5, .400 avg (see young memo)

morales - 2 for 6, .333 avg (no extra base hits)

only 3 hitters in the lineup are hitting above .350 vs. porcello this year.

in 93 at bats this year, the twins only have 2 home runs against porcello. one of them to morneau who of course is not playing. he's gonna keep the ball in the ballpark. another reason that he doesn't give up big innings. if our offense can put together 4-5 runs, i really think we win.

and some solid stats that will prove our offense will do that....

all stats against baker this year:

granderson - in 11ab, has only struck out once. at the very least, he's gonna put the ball in play. could also mean he's due for a big game.

polanco - 3 for 6, .500 avg

ordonez - 6 for 11, .545 avg

cabrera - 4 for 11 with a HR, .364 avg

guillen - 3 for 6, .500 avg

thames - 3 for 8 with a HR, .375 avg

inge - in 8ab, has only struck out once. see granderson memo.

laird - 2 for 5, .400 avg

santiago - 4 for 10, .400 avg

raburn and huff have not hit against him this season btw.

so as you can see, 7 players of the 9 players above who could be in the lineup tomorrow (pretty good reason most will be in the lineup tomorrow) are hitting .350 or above against baker this year. that, combined with a consistent game by porcello/bullpen gives us a solid 5-4 win. okay, let's move on to new york boys.

Good post! And great work on the stats!

Gives me a little hope the Tigers season may be extended for a few games! : )