LooseGoose

Poll - Cabrera on Tuesday - Sit or Play??

Should Cabrera play Tuesday?  

140 members have voted

1. 1. Should Cabrera play Tuesday?

• Yes - the team needs him and he should be allowed to play.
    • No - He let the team down and should face consequences for his actions.

Of course the Tigers are not going to sit down Cabrera for anything that happened on Saturday. No one but the thread starter is even suggesting that.

And I didn't suggest that either so you're wrong. There were suggestions in the other thread of sitting him, I wanted to see how deep that sentiment was.

I felt bad about the 20-1 beatdown, so I voted to bench him to make it more respectable. I always go for the underdog, what can I say?

If Cabrera sits, I hope Leyland is managing little league games the rest of his career.

I voted to sit him and not because I think the Tigers actually will, but because what Miggy did is a huge problem. He was over three times past the legal driving limit a couple of hours after he stopped drinking. He was not a little tipsy but off his rear end smashed. The cops used the term incoherent. I have to believe that Miggy was unprepared to play his best the next day during the biggest series of the year after all the previous evening's festivites. If Miggy is so indespensible maybe we win the Saturday game if he is not acting like an idiot. So what's the difference if he can't play because he is hungover of if the Tiger's sit him? To paraphase some of the above posts, anyone who gives Miggy a complete free pass on this is a moron.

That said, the stakes or so high in terms of pride and money the Tigers are sure to play him.

So what's the difference if he can't play because he is hungover of if the Tiger's sit him?

Ummm...the hangover?

He shouldn't be pulled from the lineup. But if he has another horrible game, I hope he hears the boo birds come next April.

After reading all 500+ posts of the "Cabrerra's [sic] Face" thread, I'm leaning toward leaving open the possibility of sitting him. Why? Clearly he should have been sat on Saturday -- he could not perform well enough to do his job on that night. Moving forward, Cabrera could either be contrite and ready to help the team, or he could be in the same depressive-like funk that led him into Friday night's self-destructive bender. Someone has got to be in the position to make the judgment: can he help out the team?

there is, of course, more to the story for Cabrera and the Tigers. Hopefully no more than informal counsellig is in order, but there is a possibility that more of an intervention is required, simply from the standpoint an employer has toward its employees.

But the play/no-play decision on Tuesday should be based on readiness to contribute (of which I don't think we can be sure), not "making a statement."

He'll play...but if it was some other organizations (Atlanta, maybe New York) he wouldn't be playing. I donno how I feel about it, this is the major leagues not high school...

Really? If you or I tied on on and showed up work a mess I doubt they would send you/me home. I've worked with many people who've come to work hung over and they've done their jobs fine. I swear to god some people won't be happy until they run every last person out of town. It almost make winning unenjoyable:cry:

We can't afford to make his mental state any worse than it presumably is right now, so any disciplinary action should probably take place during the offseason.

We can't afford to make his mental state any worse than it presumably is right now, so any disciplinary action should probably take place during the offseason.

Wow. This is a great post. I voted no. You may have made me reconsider.

Benching him is not an option.

Because we can't win without him? Baloney. Baseball is a team sport. The Twins can come back from 6 games back without Morneau. We can't win a game without Cabrera.

Cabrera on Tuesday - Sit or Play??

Is this assuming he "doesn't" or "does" get hammered Monday night - Tuesday morning?

I voted to play him, but I'm kind of reconsidering that option. Baseball is a team sport, and Cabrera is a teammate like everyone else. He has responsibilities to his teammates and he let them and everyone else down with his behavior.

If you want to establish an ethos of teamwork, and the team is more important than the individual, then you should suspend him for the Twins game. Or at least don't start him but have him on the bench to pinch hit.

You play him - because there will be no investigation complete by then - so he is innocent until proven guilty. If he hit his wife - he deserves to be punished for it, but we won't know that for awhile. And as far as knowing people that came to work hungover and did just fine? Were they trying to hit a baseball? Were they expected to be at their sharpest at a very crucial time? Dude let down his team. Dude needs to grow up. You clinch the division, go party your brains out for all I care (just don't start hitting people - allegedly). But his work was not done and his team and the fans that pay to see him deserved his 100% - they didn't get it and it showed this weekend.

Cabrera on Tuesday - Sit or Play??

Is this assuming he "doesn't" or "does" get hammered Monday night - Tuesday morning?

I think Miggy will be rooming the Dave Dombrowski tonight....

He'll play...but if it was some other organizations (Atlanta, maybe New York) he wouldn't be playing. I donno how I feel about it, this is the major leagues not high school...

Bobby Cox sitting a player who had a tussle with his wife?