THECATMAC

What happened to Cabrerra's face?

If you were on of the best columnists in America and generated millions of dollars in revenues for your paper..damn skippy..but your not.

If you're going to make a snide reference to my writing ability, you might want to do so using rudimentary 3rd grade English.

There's a difference between 'your' and 'you're.'

The Townsend and the Cabrera residence are both in Birmingham. Maybe he walked home. The Cabera address is in one of the police reports and the Townsend shouldn't be hard to find if anyone wants to map it.

The Townsend and the Cabrera residence are both in Birmingham. Maybe he walked home. The Cabera address is in one of the police reports and the Townsend shouldn't be hard to find if anyone wants to map it.

Cabrera to Ozzie:

"Dude, where's my car?!"

If you're going to make a snide reference to my writing ability, you might want to do so using rudimentary 3rd grade English.

What writing are we referring to??

When did I ever say its funny or defend it? Show me

I said I dont think its a big deal and the cop called it a nothing incident and we dont even know Miguels side of the story

You directly responded to criticisms I had about Pyrotigers' reference to it being okay to tease fat teens in posts #926 and #928.

If you're saying you aren't defending Pyrotigers' ridiculous statement, then I'll take your word for it. But it appeared you were defending it, since those are the posts you responded to.

Don't get all sanctimonious Scott. You did a lot to contribute to the crummy tone of this thread. Bye!

Ok, for sure the final post in this thread...

if defending a human being against wild accusations and sticking up for them, waiting for all the facts to come out, understanding the pressure he is under, and telling people that alcoholism (and I want to emphasize that I am not suggesting that Miggy is an alcoholic) is a medical disease and should be treated as such= me contributing in a negative light in this thread, then so be it. I'll leave with this thought... I'm 21 years old and a college student and maybe the youngest person participating in this thread. If I've acted my age or below it in this thread, then I apologize. I try hard to be able to speak eloquently with some of the elite on this board despite my youth and lack of knowledge about life in general and baseball. From this moment on, I will pick my battles better, both on topics and who I discuss them with.

There ya go..I'll call about that promotion for ya tomorrow, I'll let them know you wrote at least 15,000 words today. Perfect spelling and grammar.

Seriously, leave me alone. You've been stalking me all day via PM, and I stopped responding to you; now you're going to do it in the threads, too?

I'm going to put you on ignore right after I post this. So don't bother with another idiotic rejoinder.

You directly responded to criticisms I had about Pyrotigers' reference to it being okay to tease fat teens in posts #926 and #928.

If you're saying you aren't defending Pyrotigers' ridiculous statement, then I'll take your word for it. But it appeared you were defending it, since those are the posts you responded to.

how does saying that an article called him young man and posting a link where a policeman who knew the situation said it was not a big deal = I think its funny? Honestly

The quote doesn't appear to be teasing to me... It appears to be a factual statement, and one that could have been beneficial to the kid if taken in the right way.

What the hell is that kid doing in a bar anyways?

Zing! +1 bigtime.

But I tell ya what - how about next year we get an MTS get-together at the Townsend?

I'm in...but I've got to warn you: At $37.99 for a Bud Lite, I sure as hell won't be buying any rounds!!! :classic:

how does saying that an article called him young man and posting a link where a policeman who knew the situation said it was not a big deal = I think its funny? Honestly

because.you.said.these.things.in.response.to.posts.I.made.responding.to.posts.that.said.making.fun.of.fat.kids.is.funny.

I'm in...but I've got to warn you: At $37.99 for a Bud Lite, I sure as hell won't be buying any rounds!!! :classic:

Well maybe you'll run into someone you know who can afford to buy a few rounds.

because.you.said.these.things.in.response.to.posts.I.made.responding.to.posts.that.said.making.fun.of.fat.kids.is.funny.

that is some real poor logic, especially since if you look, It started because I said it was ridiculous you compared this incident to someone killing themselves and a racial slur. So of course that means I think its funny.

and 19 is considered a teen, in case you didnt know. 19 year olds can cause as much trouble as anyone. Look, Im not defending him because Im not sure how it went down, but Im not going to rip the guy based on what little is being reported on the subject. But Im glad one sentence in a reporters story (who reporters are known for making a big deal out of nothing) gives you enough to know about what happened.

It's worth noting that the Tigers warned Cabrera to stay out of the bar. That would seem like an over-reaction to a "nothing incident" and makes me think that either it was a bigger incident than reported or one in a series of incidents.

Last post on this topic...

if Miggy does indeed have a real problem with alcohol then we all need to be aware that alcoholism is a disease. A medical disease. I personally will not be throwing him under the bus or asking for him to leave town. Psychologically speaking, that is the absolute last thing you should do for a person who struggles with any type of addiction. And, the Tigers organization won't be throwing him under the bus, either. If the problem is real, then the organization, this city and us fans should get behind him and support him on this potential road to recovery. Being an alcoholic would not make one a bad person. Overcoming that disease and eventually helping others in the future would be highly, highly commendable.

Just wanted to respond to this one, buried in the rubble.

I have a couple of friends who have come from families of alcoholics, and/or struggled with it themselves. Surprisingly, "throwing them under the bus" and asking them to leave town is actually one of the best things to do with an alcoholic. Are they sick? Sure. But shielding alcoholics from natural consequences keeps them sick, and ultimately helps them die.

That being said, Cabrera is a really good baseball player and the team needs him. Clearly, when DD bailed Cabby out of jail his main concern was getting him to the game on time, and he maybe couldn't have given a pair of sh**s about his well-being.

Personally, I don't much care about this incident. The fact that this thread has evolved into a 10,000 post magnum opus says something about our culture. I hope, if his wife is a battered woman, then she leaves him and takes the kids with her. Other than that, it's up to Miguel to decide whether he wants to become a hall of famer or drink himself to death.

As far as people being mad that he ruined the Tigers' chances, utter nonsense. Maybe if the other Tigers could produce a bit themselves, his "sickness" wouldn't have been detrimental.

I hope the Tigers win tomorrow, but whether they do or not, something tells me this incident will hang over any success or failure like a ten ton dung stain. Shame.

The quote doesn't appear to be teasing to me... It appears to be a factual statement, and one that could have been beneficial to the kid if taken in the right way.

If you ask anyone dealing with weight issues, I think you'll find that there is little benefit in someone telling them "you need to lose weight" or "you need to work out."

And, if the stories are true, the kid/teen/young man asked him to "let me be." So (again, if true), the teen felt the need to ask Cabrera to stop.

And if it's true, then Cabrera is a creep, and I'm bothered more by that than the drinking.

What the hell is that kid doing in a bar anyways?

This was covered earlier in the thread. Apparently it's one of those Chili's bar & grill type places, which serves alcohol but is for all ages.

that is some real poor logic, especially since if you look, It started because I said it was ridiculous you compared this incident to someone killing themselves and a racial slur. So of course that means I think its funny.

Huh?

001150_25.jpg

You're talking Geechee, man. Your attempts at logic are seriously making my head hurt. I say blue and you say seven. Let's just drop it.

It's worth noting that the Tigers warned Cabrera to stay out of the bar. That would seem like an over-reaction to a "nothing incident" and makes me think that either it was a bigger incident than reported or one in a series of incidents.

But you don't understand: Miguel Cabrera is a great ballplayer! So we've got to defend him, and pooh-pooh any suggestion that he may have done something wrong.

Huh?

001150_25.jpg

You're talking Geechee, man. Your attempts at logic are seriously making my head hurt. I say blue and you say seven. Let's just drop it.

What the hell are you talking about

Are you kidding me? I knew a 12-year-old girl who committed suicide because she was teased in school. Kids take this sort of thing very hard. You think it's funny?

Here's a question: Would it be okay for Clete Thomas to call a black kid a nigger? After all, using your logic, "I'm sure he's heard far worse, and if he can't handle it he's not going to make it far in life."

There have been some ridiculous posts in this thread. Yours takes the cake.

wow, you are sure stretching on an incident that was commented by the police that “It was a nothing incident.”
So now it's funny for adults to tease overweight kids, because the kids hear it in school anyway? Is that honestly what you're defending here? Seriously?

Besides, where did the story indicate that the police said "it was a nothing incident"? Here's a link to the story; show me where it says that:

Tigers warned Cabrera after bar altercation in August, reports show | detnews.com | The Detroit News

Or are you assuming because there were no charges filed that nothing happened? If so, that's a misguided assumption.

It was a direct quote from someone who knew a lot more about it than you

Police look into fight involving Tigers 1B Cabrera - MLB - Yahoo! Sports

now, what part of my post did you not get. Show me where I said it was funny, and like I said in the post you somehow did not get, it started because I thought your comparisons were ridiculous.

I'm sure this was said elsewhere, I haven't gone through the entire thread. My only real problem with the whole thing was I thought it was at least an unwritten rule that you didn't "hang" out with players from the other team in season. I don't know, maybe that is false hope or thinking. I think it looks tacky if anything else. Considering, and I don't know if it is ture that the player in question was Freddie Garcia, that looks real bad IMO. I just thought that was something you just didn't do. Little do I know about the after hours life of MLB players.

Ok, for sure the final post in this thread...

if defending a human being against wild accusations and sticking up for them, waiting for all the facts to come out, understanding the pressure he is under, and telling people that alcoholism (and I want to emphasize that I am not suggesting that Miggy is an alcoholic) is a medical disease and should be treated as such= me contributing in a negative light in this thread, then so be it. I'll leave with this thought... I'm 21 years old and a college student and maybe the youngest person participating in this thread. If I've acted my age or below it in this thread, then I apologize. I try hard to be able to speak eloquently with some of the elite on this board despite my youth and lack of knowledge about life in general and baseball. From this moment on, I will pick my battles better, both on topics and who I discuss them with.

Or just pick threads that are less likely to become a train wreck. :wink:

Haven't read this whole thread, but I certainly recall being Miggy's age and getting blitzed out of my mind more than a few times. He really should start thinking about avoiding that on a school night, but addiction is one possible scenario to explain this. Another scenario would be a predisposition to drink combined with the pressures of a pennant race. But it's all speculation and we're all grasping at straws right now, IMHO.

The only bad thing about this whole episode is that apparently, Carlos Quentin was one of the Sox that Miggy was hanging out with.

I've been sort of defending Cabrera but after hearing that...well, that's just wrong.