THECATMAC

What happened to Cabrerra's face?

Seen last night he's sporting a new tough guy look. Anybody hear anything?

Edited by THECATMAC

Cabrera's cuts indicative of Tigers' late swoon - MLB News - FOX Sports on MSN

DETROIT - In some ways, Miguel Cabrera is the face of the Tigers.

And right now, that face is cut, scratched and puffy.

In the midst of what could become one of the worst collapses in baseball history — more on that later — Detroit's most important hitter reported to work Saturday with a curious-looking countenance.

There were red scratches along the left side of his face. There was a scrape on his lip. These marks were not present when he spoke with the media following Friday's game. But they were there less than 24 hours later, obvious enough that several teammates came over to his locker before the game to take a look.

Cabrera told several reporters after Friday's game that he was going home to relax and get ready to play the next game. Somewhere, those plans apparently ran afoul.

Before the game, I approached Cabrera and inquired as to what happened. He looked puzzled. He asked why I would want to know.

I repeated the question, making it clear that his face, well, had some stuff on it that wasn't there before.

And this, folks, is what he said next: "It was my dog."

He emphasized that he was talking about a fairly big dog.

He ended the interview soon afterward with help from Magglio Ordoñez, who made it clear that Cabrera wanted to be left alone.

Then Cabrera went 0-for-4 in the Tigers' listless loss. A combined six runners were on base when his at-bats began.

Cabrera couldn't blame the dog for that.

Ordoñez declined comment after Saturday's game — for a second straight night. And Cabrera, who has otherwise shown signs of maturity this year, was nowhere to be found. He left the clubhouse without speaking to reporters.

The team's official response was peculiar. When asked about Cabrera's cuts after the game, manager Jim Leyland said, "I didn't see it." So, we forwarded the question to Kevin Rand, the team's head athletic trainer.

But a team spokesman said Rand didn't see Cabrera on Saturday.

Really? Rand didn't see him? Not in the clubhouse, while Cabrera was sitting at his locker before the game? Not in the dugout? It didn't catch his attention that the most important player on the team had a series of cuts on his face?

He didn't see him?

Well, the players did. And they were as confused as the reporters.

"It's fair to ask," shortstop Adam Everett said. "I don't know. That's the thing. I really don't know. Honestly, I wish I could tell you. I have no idea what happened."

"No clue," third baseman Brandon Inge seconded.

Of course, none of this would matter much if Cabrera were hitting. But he isn't. Three times on Saturday, his at-bats ended an inning in which runners had been on base.

Cabrera saw nine pitches on Saturday and swung at seven of them. He didn't hit the ball out of the infield. It looked a lot like his performance on Friday — another 0-for-4.

"He had a bad day, that's all," hitting coach Lloyd McClendon said.

"I don't know what's going on there, honestly," Everett said. "I'm sure he'll come ready to play tomorrow."

The Tigers appear to not have answers for anything. (Carlos Osorio / Associated Press)

Cabrera's worst showing came in the eighth inning — the one time that the mostly silent crowd of 35,184 had reason to be excited. After 16 scoreless innings, the Tigers got their first run of the series when Placido Polanco singled home Everett. That made it 4-1. And there was one out with men on first and second when Cabrera came to the plate.

The first four hitters of the inning took the first pitch and went on to have good at-bats. Cabrera, on the other hand, bit on the first pitch he saw. The result was a ground ball to shortstop Alexei Ramirez for a 6-4-3 double play. Inning over.

Did Cabrera miss a take sign?

No, McClendon said. Cabrera had the green light.

"Sure," McClendon said. "He's our guy. He got a pitch. He squared it up. He just didn't get it up.

...Cabrera, the highest-paid player in Tigers history, arrived for his team's biggest game of the season with a bruised-up face. He left with no hits and no postgame explanation for the paying customers of a sports-loving, recession-weakened state.

Edited by 63 Tiger

Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse it does.

I would speculate that it was either self inflicted or a domestic dispute.

We may look back at this as a bigger story than the Tiger collapse.

Edited by 63 Tiger

Wow, The Tigers are handling this situation very oddly. Kevin Rand "didn't see him" ??

This is completely speculation, and I have absolutely nothing factual to base this on, but Cabrera looks like he's been assaulted by some sort of thug or gangster, not a dog.

Again, this is probably just my irrational thought process after being so frustrated with the last 3 games. There couldn't be any possibility that somebody is influencing Cabrera to throw this series could there?!? I couldn't imagine this to be the case, but anything is possible?

I'm probably just thinking irrationally after those last games, but something definitely doesn't seem right.

I'm disappointed like everyone else, but this guy is putting too much blame on Cabrera.

Miguel going 9/40 in his last 10 games isn't helping, but the whole team has sucked, not just Cabrera.

Guilllen 0/15

Huff since Sept. 18 4/25

Everrett since Sept. 18 4/26

Inge 8/42 in his last 10 games

Laird 7/32 in his last 10 games

Thames 5/22 in his last 10 games

This has been a whole team collapse. It has nothing to do with a few scratches on Miguels face.

Before we start on the conspiracy theories, why don't we give Miguel the benefit of the doubt. If it's a personal matter it should stay personal.

I really hate it when reporters look for drama...

I'm disappointed like everyone else, but this guy is putting too much blame on Cabrera.

Miguel going 9/40 in his last 10 games isn't helping, but the whole team has sucked, not just Cabrera.

Guilllen 0/15

Huff since Sept. 18 4/25

Everrett since Sept. 18 4/26

Inge 8/42 in his last 10 games

Laird 7/32 in his last 10 games

Thames 5/22 in his last 10 games

THIS has been going on and NO line up adjustments have been made to counter this lack of productivity. ...

and today, we face a decent LHP, who will look like a Cy Young winner after the day is over !! ---

Before we start on the conspiracy theories, why don't we give Miguel the benefit of the doubt. If it's a personal matter it should stay personal.

I really hate it when reporters look for drama...

Usually, it's the other way around. Beat reporters -- especially in Detroit -- usually bend over backwards to give the benefit of the doubt to situations like this. If this were New York I wouldn't say that, but Detroit's sports reporters usually are criticized for tossing softballs, and covering up bad situations.

Both Lynn Henning and Tom Gage also mentioned how peculiar the Tigers were acting regarding the scratches on Miggy's face. I know, I know, a lot of people here hate Henning, and say he speculates too much -- but I don't think anyone can say that about Gage, who has played it straight as can be in nearly 35 years on the Tiger beat.

I don't think there's much question that something strange is going on here.

You know what I think? I bet there was a fight amongst the Tigers that nobody is talking about. It's becoming clear this is a defeated, demoralized team right now and I wouldn't be surprised if there was some infighting. But that's just a guess.

Usually, it's the other way around. Beat reporters -- especially in Detroit -- usually bend over backwards to give the benefit of the doubt to situations like this.

Both Lynn Henning and Tom Gage also mentioned how peculiar the Tigers were acting regarding the scratches on Miggy's face. I know, I know, a lot of people here hate Henning, and say he speculates too much -- but I don't think anyone can say that about Gage, who has played it straight as can be in nearly 35 years on the Tiger beat.

You know what I think? I bet there was a fight amongst the Tigers that nobody is talking about. It's becoming clear this is a defeated, demoralized team right now and I wouldn't be surprised if there was some infighting. But that's just a guess.

I just want to know which "little man" on the Tigers team kicked this big dudes A-S-S.

Maybe it was Dontrelle for bringing him into this mess? D-Train prolly said "dude...you ruined my career coming to Detroit" and unloaded on poor Miggy.

I would enter that dog in the lightweight class and start getting him some opponents,...............cause he certainly did a number on Miggy's face.

There were not just a few scratches, Miggy looks like he had either an altercation with someone bigger than him or was involved in a vehicle crash. It looked bad.

Wow, The Tigers are handling this situation very oddly. Kevin Rand "didn't see him" ??

This is completely speculation, and I have absolutely nothing factual to base this on, but Cabrera looks like he's been assaulted by some sort of thug or gangster, not a dog.

Again, this is probably just my irrational thought process after being so frustrated with the last 3 games. There couldn't be any possibility that somebody is influencing Cabrera to throw this series could there?!? I couldn't imagine this to be the case, but anything is possible?

I'm probably just thinking irrationally after those last games, but something definitely doesn't seem right.

It all makes sense now: Hugo Chavez wanted the ChiSox to win the World Series because he's buddies with Ozzie Guillen. So he bribed his buddy Magglio to dog it this season, and bribed Carlos Guillen into acting hurt. But Hugo never paid up, so Maggs started hitting again, and Carlos came off the DL. If you'll notice, both those things happened around the same time.

Next, Hugo tried to go after Miggy, who refused. So Hugo sent some thugs to beat him up!

(This is, of course, a joke. I shouldn't have to even say that but I know some people who probably woudln't take it that way)

Usually, it's the other way around. Beat reporters -- especially in Detroit -- usually bend over backwards to give the benefit of the doubt to situations like this. If this were New York I wouldn't say that, but Detroit's sports reporters usually are criticized for tossing softballs, and covering up bad situations.

You're right about Tom Gage. He has never been a sensationalist.

If there was a fight amongst the team members, I'm hoping it will stay within the clubhouse. Guess I'm just old fashioned when it comes to things like that...

If there was a fight amongst the team members, I'm hoping it will stay within the clubhouse. Guess I'm just old fashioned when it comes to things like that...

Heck no, I want to hear about it.

I want to know who is so much of a B.A. that they can attack Miggy but can't attack the ball on the field. This can be pretty fun if its say....LAIRD!

I just want to know which "little man" on the Tigers team kicked this big dudes A-S-S.

Maybe it was Dontrelle for bringing him into this mess? D-Train prolly said "dude...you ruined my career coming to Detroit" and unloaded on poor Miggy.

Rick Porcello? You saw how he manhandled that lump of steroids, Kevin Pukelips!

Seen last night he's sporting a new tough guy look. Anybody hear anything?

I've seen this type of injury before, most frequently on Bourbon St in New Orleans and college campuses on weekend nights. This is a case of a drunken face plant.

I am only half joking here.

As for the in-team fight, I don't think there is anyone on the Tigers team that could do that to Cabrera without sporting similar or worse wounds.

I've seen this type of injury before, most frequently on Bourbon St in New Orleans and college campuses on weekend nights. This is a case of a drunken face plant.

As for the in-team fight, I don't think there is anyone on the Tigers team that could do that to Cabrera without sporting similar or worse wounds.

Oh you're suggesting that maybe he was hanging out with Zumaya?

I would have expected any scratches/bruises to be in the vicinity of his throat.

Only in a one on one...nobody is that stupid...

Ty, if another Tiger got in a fight with Cabrera, then that player's face would look a lot worse than Miggy's.

Here is a picture of Cabrera's face:

ept_sports_mlb_experts-388787264-1254653931.jpg?ymrPh_BDP5MZ1fpV

The shot on the left is before and of course the pic on the right is after.

Here is a picture of Cabrera's face:

ept_sports_mlb_experts-388787264-1254653931.jpg?ymrPh_BDP5MZ1fpV

The shot on the left is before and of course the pic on the right is after.

That's a diagonal line..almost as if he was hit with something and not a fist or an open hand...