PreserveAWin

Should we fire Leyland now?

I started a fire Leyland thread a few months ago and thought it an appropriate time for a new one.

Has anyone changed their mind on this?

IMO, the man has become a shell of his former self. An albatross to the franchise. A man unable to inspire confidence.

Let's hope this thread can be mocked soon as unlikely as that may be.

I've always thought Leyland was overrated, never more so than now watching him manage ANOTHER team in the midst of a collapse. That said, I doubt he'll be fired - though he may quit again.

I would think that most fans would realize by this part of the season that the Tigers just aren't that good of a team.

It's just not Jims fault. Absolutely not. He doesnt hold the bat that the Tigers can't seem to make contact with a ball.

The players have to play.

It's just not Jims fault. Absolutely not. He doesnt hold the bat that the Tigers can't seem to make contact with a ball.

The players have to play.

The players being paid the big $ should be carrying this team down the stretch and all they are doing is carrying the money to the bank !

I've always wondered how it would feel to get a paycheck every two weeks for something like $186,000. Also, it would be interesting to have to go to the bank with that check..."Would you like cash back? Is $100 bills okay sir?"

Jim Leland kept us in first all summer with two starters he could trust at any given time, two .300 hitters, a decent closer and good defense. The rest of the pitching staff disolved into injuries and head cases. Friday night, none of the hitters in the 5 thru 9 holes were batting .250. I think that he deserves to be named Manager of the Year.

And if Guillen and Mags are in the field next year on Opening Day, I'll vault the wall and cut their throats. Their wheels are shot, and they're burning out Granderson as he tries to cover ground that they can't.

I've always wondered how it would feel to get a paycheck every two weeks for something like $186,000. Also, it would be interesting to have to go to the bank with that check..."Would you like cash back? Is $100 bills okay sir?"

I would love to just have the taxes they pay. Can you imagine? City taxes, state taxes and the state taxes from where their primary residence is? Wow, it would be a small fortune.

I think most of them probably have some sort of direct deposit. That way their wives can go shopping while they're on the road. :classic:

I think most of them probably have some sort of direct deposit. That way their wives can go shopping while they're on the road. :classic:

And pay the pool boy on time. Can't forget about the pool boy who tends to the indoor pool.

Jim Leland kept us in first all summer with two starters he could trust at any given time, two .300 hitters, a decent closer and good defense. The rest of the pitching staff disolved into injuries and head cases. Friday night, none of the hitters in the 5 thru 9 holes were batting .250. I think that he deserves to be named Manager of the Year.

And if Guillen and Mags are in the field next year on Opening Day, I'll vault the wall and cut their throats. Their wheels are shot, and they're burning out Granderson as he tries to cover ground that they can't.

Manager of the Year? It has to go to Gardenhire. With the small payroll and injuries, he has done a masterful job. Leyland would have that team 30 games under .500.

If you want to fire someone fire DD. Leyland needed some help at the trade deadline. What does DD do? Trades for a pitcher with a known knee problem. Doesn't get a hitter at the trade deadline. Then 2 weeks later picks up a slumping hitter with an OPS of .726 at the time of the trade.

If you want to fire someone fire DD. Leyland needed some help at the trade deadline. What does DD do? Trades for a pitcher with a known knee problem. Doesn't get a hitter at the trade deadline. Then 2 weeks later picks up a slumping hitter with an OPS of .726 at the time of the trade.

Sorry to say it but this is just plain silly - he's worn out from running across the outfield once an inning?? Pfffffft.

And pay the pool boy on time. Can't forget about the pool boy who tends to the indoor pool.

The indoor pool with 'more space than you can imagine'? :P

If they lose today and the Twins take the division, I would hope Leyland resigns. He has absolutely crapped the bed down the stretch, playing veterans who can't hit a lick when the offense needs any sort of spark, starting Alfredo effin' Figaro last night. Indefensible.

McClendon absolutely needs to go with him. Top to bottom, this lineup has horrible at bats night in and night out against mediocre to bad pitching. I recognize there is a talent issue there, but the performance from the offense has been universally underwhelming, and for the past several seasons now. Can't all be attributed to lack of talent at the plate.

And I haven't been impressed with DD's roster moves mid-season. I hate the Washburn deal, and I was indifferent to the Huff deal (until it became clear that he stinks). Seems like he just made a lot of sideways moves.

But definitely, if the Tigers choke today then there needs to be a top to bottom shake up and Leyland has to be among the casualties.

Fire Leyland? The guy takes us to a World Series, and then takes a team that has it's fair share of issues through an exciting pennant race, and perhaps, the playoffs.

I can't believe what I'm reading here. Even if Jim wasn't my AAT, I'd be stunned at the knee jerk reaction of wanting him fired.

If you think firing Leyland is any sort of solution, you don't really get baseball.

And btw, we just extended his contract, so get used to it. Jim isn't going to be fired.

Absolutely right John!

As far as Washburn and Huff, DD went out and the got the best two guys available without spending 10 trillion dollars. I was happy to have Washburn, I was happy to have Huff - who knew that they'd both tank??? Nobody.

Leyland was right last night when he was talking about the "big boys". They needed to step up the last few games. Cabrera could've single handedly won that game last night!

Where's the Godly Inge these days? If your best guys don't hit, your team will more than likely lose.

Two sides to the story.

1. Jim Leyland has crafted a season that may land the Tigers in the playoffs, with a roster of flawed, injured and underachieving players. Hitters who have produced sub.200 half seasons, months of 5 RBI, pitchers who have walked too many and failed to live up the caliber of their contracts.

No manager I know of this side of Toney LaRussa could have that collection of players on the precipice of the playoffs.

2. Leyland when given the opportunity, played too many hunches, failed to motivate players at the most important time and in general has been part of the problem rather than part of the solution.

Somebody needs to make an assessment, why Leyland's Tiger teams implode down the stretch, it's an issue that needs to be addressed.

My theory about firings always comes down to this, be careful who you remove, always know who you have in mind to replace the terminated individual. Because the devil you know is often far better than the devil you don't.

No bank trip necessary, they all use direct deposit.

As far as Washburn and Huff, DD went out and the got the best two guys available without spending 10 trillion dollars. I was happy to have Washburn, I was happy to have Huff - who knew that they'd both tank??? Nobody.

Would you have been happy to have Washburn if you knew he had a bad knee and other pitchers were available?

Huff had already "tanked" before the trade.

The Cardinals GM did what needed to be done and DD didn't.

Fire Leyland? The guy takes us to a World Series,

.....where they choked and collapsed, same story later in the season.

Yes. Fire him because the team lost 4 games in a row, and because the Twins have won 15 of their last 19 games. This makes the most sense.

Edit: I mean 3 in a row. Even more reason to fire him.

Edited by Yoda

16-15 since September 1st. Basically what they've done all season.

Fire Leyland!!!!!!!

Two sides to the story.

1. Jim Leyland has crafted a season that may land the Tigers in the playoffs, with a roster of flawed, injured and underachieving players. Hitters who have produced sub.200 half seasons, months of 5 RBI, pitchers who have walked too many and failed to live up the caliber of their contracts.

No manager I know of this side of Toney LaRussa could have that collection of players on the precipice of the playoffs.

2. Leyland when given the opportunity, played too many hunches, failed to motivate players at the most important time and in general has been part of the problem rather than part of the solution.

Somebody needs to make an assessment, why Leyland's Tiger teams implode down the stretch, it's an issue that needs to be addressed.

My theory about firings always comes down to this, be careful who you remove, always know who you have in mind to replace the terminated individual. Because the devil you know is often far better than the devil you don't.

Solid analysis. We are in this largely because our competition tanked (Cleveland and Chcago) or underachieved for the majority of the season (Minnesota). The Tigers are a flawed team, with two reliable starters (Verlander and Jackson/Porcello each for half of the season) and one above average offensive player. The middle and back end of our rotation collapsed (Gallaraga, Willis, Washburn, Robertson, and Bonderman have a total of 10 wins in 41 starts, and we went with a Double A pitcher in a big game because he had a pulse). Most of our key offensive players either fell off a cliff in terms of their production due to age/injuries (Ordonez, Guillon, and, to a lesser degree, Polanco) or simply had miserable years (Granderson and Thames). Although I join those of you puzzled by the timing of our cold streaks, I think that overall Leyland has done a remarkable job. My real concern is not that Leyland should be punished for this year, but whether he will survive next year which I do not believe is going to be pretty.

As for the deification of Gardenhire and the Twins, I could not more strongly disagree with those posters. The Twins have the two best hitters in baseball (although Mourneau missed about 25% of the season) and two other top shelf offensive players having the best years of their careers (Cuddyer and Kubel). That the Twins have needed an incredible hot streak (such streaks are always a combination of good play and good luck--so, without taking credit away from the Twins, luck was a factor in this) at the end of the season to put themselves in this position is an indictment of their organizational conservatism in refusing to take risks (trading prospects/suspects for a player to put your team over the top) or spend money. This is not all Garenhire's fault as he does not make those decisions, and I think he is a fine manager. However, the Twins are well below where they should be at this time, and the Tigers are well ahead of where they should be. That tells me all I need to know about the job Leyland has done this year.