SportsMumboJumbo

Scarier Team Then People Think

Weren't the Arizona Cardinals in the Super Bowl last year? They are traditional losers

Also, last season - Miami went from 1-15 to 11-5, Atlanta 4-12 to 11-5, Baltimore 5-11 to 11-5, Carolina 7-9 to 12-4.

So 10 teams had double-digit wins last year - four had losing records the previous year. Another was perennial loser Arizona. Is it true certain teams seem to stay on top longer than others? Sure. But the NFL is set up so that any team can bounce from 5-11 to 11-5 pretty darn quickly. Just because some franchises can't take advantage of that, doesn't mean the format doesn't encourage it. And, in fact, does it pretty well.

It happens in baseball too. Florida, Tampa Bay, Arizona, etc. No one ever talks about parity in baseball though.

Arizona (NFL) was a decent team in a horrible division and got hot when they needed to last year. It would be no different than if the Tigers made the World Series this year. I don't believe in parity in sports. In the NFL, you know who will be good barring a major injury to a superstar. Pittsburgh, NY Giants, Philly, New England, Indianapolis are all perennial playoff teams. Yes, you get your occasional surprise team. But it happens all over sports. The myth is just perpetuated more in the NFL so those instances just stick out more to fans.

It happens in baseball too. Florida, Tampa Bay, Arizona, etc. No one ever talks about parity in baseball though.

Arizona (NFL) was a decent team in a horrible division and got hot when they needed to last year. It would be no different than if the Tigers made the World Series this year. I don't believe in parity in sports. In the NFL, you know who will be good barring a major injury to a superstar. Pittsburgh, NY Giants, Philly, New England, Indianapolis are all perennial playoff teams. Yes, you get your occasional surprise team. But it happens all over sports. The myth is just perpetuated more in the NFL so those instances just stick out more to fans.

Arizona needs to apologize for that? The Cardinals were in the Super Bowl. You make some sweeping comments in an attempt to deflect my stats and to rationalize your viewpoint. Arizona doesn't count? The Tigers don't count? Injuries don't count if you are a perennial playoff team and fail to make the playoffs because of them? The surprise team is considered "occasional" despite the fact at least 9 NFL teams could qualify under the 5 or less win to 11 or more win classification over just the last four years (not including Arizona, which could be argued as the symbolic team to look up such stats).

You listed five teams as perennial playoff teams. Only two of those teams actually made the playoffs all of the last FOUR years (New York and Indianapolis). Pittsburgh failed in 2006, Philly in 2005 and 2007 and New England in 2008. If we took it back six years the Giants had seasons of 6-10 and 4-12 in 2004 and 2003. It's hard to list that as perennial anything beyond the short-term.

Maybe a mid-range perennial (six years)?

Take it back to six years and the only team to make the playoffs all those years was Indy. New England made it 5 of 6. Those teams also have HOF QBs on their teams. I'd say those two qualify as perennial.

The rest are great teams, but I don't know if they qualify as perennial. The rest failed to make the playoffs 2 of the 6 years. And if you are going to qualify the Cardinals as bad at 9-7, maybe we should point out that the Giants made the playoffs one of those six years with an 8-8 mark. Maybe that season shouldn't count since 8-8 generally doesn't get you in the playoffs, and it is worse than Arizona's 9-7 mark.

The talent gap is too much for the Lions to be competitive still. Their defense is still bad, their oline is still bad, Stafford isn't really helping them his accuracy/decision making are bad right now. I think the record for losses is 26 in a row, the Lions will be in strong contention for that.

I think they have no where to go but up, but they are still at the bottom, you can't recover from 8 consecutive failed drafts, and bad personell moves in a year.

Edited by DrWho17

Arizona needs to apologize for that? The Cardinals were in the Super Bowl. You make some sweeping comments in an attempt to deflect my stats and to rationalize your viewpoint. Arizona doesn't count? The Tigers don't count? Injuries don't count if you are a perennial playoff team and fail to make the playoffs because of them? The surprise team is considered "occasional" despite the fact at least 9 NFL teams could qualify under the 5 or less win to 11 or more win classification over just the last four years (not including Arizona, which could be argued as the symbolic team to look up such stats).

You listed five teams as perennial playoff teams. Only two of those teams actually made the playoffs all of the last FOUR years (New York and Indianapolis). Pittsburgh failed in 2006, Philly in 2005 and 2007 and New England in 2008. If we took it back six years the Giants had seasons of 6-10 and 4-12 in 2004 and 2003. It's hard to list that as perennial anything beyond the short-term.

Maybe a mid-range perennial (six years)?

Take it back to six years and the only team to make the playoffs all those years was Indy. New England made it 5 of 6. Those teams also have HOF QBs on their teams. I'd say those two qualify as perennial.

The rest are great teams, but I don't know if they qualify as perennial. The rest failed to make the playoffs 2 of the 6 years. And if you are going to qualify the Cardinals as bad at 9-7, maybe we should point out that the Giants made the playoffs one of those six years with an 8-8 mark. Maybe that season shouldn't count since 8-8 generally doesn't get you in the playoffs, and it is worse than Arizona's 9-7 mark.

Why should Arizona have to apologize for anything? I never even hinted that this was the case. I was just pointing out that everyone talks about parity in the NFL because of the salary cap, yadda yadda, but you could find a scenario in all major sports that applies.

I just thing the parity thing is overblown. Just like every other sport, if an organization succeeds at finding and developing talent, they will be successful. If they don't, they will continue to suck.

Why should Arizona have to apologize for anything? I never even hinted that this was the case. I was just pointing out that everyone talks about parity in the NFL because of the salary cap, yadda yadda, but you could find a scenario in all major sports that applies.

I just thing the parity thing is overblown. Just like every other sport, if an organization succeeds at finding and developing talent, they will be successful. If they don't, they will continue to suck.

I think we see the same landscape but derive different conclusions. Amazing how that happens. :classic:

I don't know. I think sometimes we hear about the lack of parity in so many sports, yet we get these "exceptions" frequently every year. I think most sports have pretty good parity. I think the sport that may lack parity the most is the NBA. And I think that has to do with the rosters being so small and one or two great players having the ability to create a franchise "dynasty", moreso than any other sport.

how many 30 yard passes have YOU seen Stafford complete?

Really... If you cant tell that Stafford has a bigger arm than all of the QB's we have had the past 10yrs, then you havent watched the lions much.

I think Detroit has their best chance to get a W this week against the Redskins. They didn't score a TD against the RAMS, AT HOME. This could be a the game that breaks the streak..

Really... If you cant tell that Stafford has a bigger arm than all of the QB's we have had the past 10yrs, then you havent watched the lions much.

If you think a big arm is all a QB needs to be successful, you haven't watched much football.

I think they need to win a game and win it soon. Its been about 2 years since they won, maybe they forgot how it feels.

His arm has looked real big, but with 5 INTS in two games, Id rather he learn where to throw it first.

His arm has looked real big, but with 5 INTS in two games, Id rather he learn where to throw it first.

I didn't see the first game, but IIRC his two INTs in the second game were to the same player - a linebacker. In other words, he didn't get picked off throwing downfield to his wide outs, he got picked off throwing into traffic and not understanding where the coverage was coming from. So I agree, I hope he begins to figure out how to read coverages better than he has.

But it seems counter-productive to decide (as Linehan appears to have done) not to let Stafford air it out a time or two. Even an incomplete downfield pass can make good things happen - stretch the defense, get a pass interference penalty.

If you think a big arm is all a QB needs to be successful, you haven't watched much football.

I would begin to elaborate on what a QB needs to be successful, but its a waist of my time...

Unfortunately the Detroit Lions Forum on the NFL Detroit Lions website was axed... partly due to the number of people bashing Millen I suppose.. but I was a very active member on that forum discussing every game and pointing out the flaws of the ref's (because we still dont get any respect) and of our own team, with the same name I use on this forum... which is now my main one for Lions football.. since the other one has'nt been resurrected...

But instead of hijacking this thread, I would rather stick to the topic at hand.... And that is the team doing things better this yr than they have in previous... I know its early, week 2.. but any form of improvement over last yr is nice.

The Saints ripped us apart, but they did the same to Phili... So I dont feel that bad about the loss, besides our secondary is still one of our primary weak points on the team.

However the Vikings game, thee did some things good, like keeping AP as much as possible in check... 92yds compared to the 180yds he put on the browns (which I would assume is alot better defensively than the lions) is pretty good.

Let's all face reality, Detroit is not ready for playoffs, let alone winning 9 games this season, they dont have the talent or the depth. So we are going to live with the little steps they achieve along the way.

In the 2 games they have played, they look more ready to win, they play more physical, and they are moving the ball one the ground as well as through the air.

Stafford has thrown some real nice passes into some tight spots, which is one of things that defines all good QB's.

The Vikings have a pretty big O-line, but we were still able to get to Brett and even take him down once or twice.

I will say that I dont think they were taking note of P.Harvin coming out and playing the way he did in the second half. But that something thats going to happen to teams playing against rookies...

Are we still shooting ourselves... yep... but nearly as bad as previous games... where we would get a delay of game because we are too busy shifting around on the offense 12 million times with "Mad Martz"....

Pound the Rock!... well we are actually doing that instead of just saying the slogan.

And Delmas.... Man what a breath of fresh air... A hard hitter who isnt going to take anyone's crap... Him mouthing to AP after AP "Semi Trucked Him"... was awesome.... a turn around from the old where our guys would just get up and walk away, avoiding confrontation...

We are becoming a scarier team compared to the Lions of the past, obviously we some serious help in the secondary and LB as well as DT.. but we will get there, with this coach.

Edited by barnettej

I like the team, but as some have pointed out, close losses or being "competitive" don't really mean squat. They need to win this week.