SportsMumboJumbo

Scarier Team Then People Think

This Lion team is scary guys. I know they are on one of the worst losing streaks in NFL hsitory but they remind me of the 2007 Dolphins. 1-15 team who were in every game but just found some way to lose it, next year 11-5 winning the division. The Lions are a competetive team who are definitly in every game they play, they obviously just need to find a way to close things out.

They need a fuggin d-line!

Then they need a LT who wont let Jason Allen have a clean shot at the QB!

I have a feeling if the Lions are going to turn it around its not 09, but 2010.

This Lion team is scary guys. I know they are on one of the worst losing streaks in NFL hsitory but they remind me of the 2007 Dolphins. 1-15 team who were in every game but just found some way to lose it, next year 11-5 winning the division. The Lions are a competetive team who are definitly in every game they play, they obviously just need to find a way to close things out.

If hanging by a thread entering the fourth quarter only to see yourself lose by double-digits is being competitive, I guess they are. I would argue, they really haven't been competitive yet. If this wasn't the peak of being competitive for this team for most of the last 26 games, I may give them the benefit of the doubt. The fact is, this is about as good as it gets and the Lions still trailed by three scores at one time in the fourth quarter.

But the point is they are competitive. They were beating a legit Vikings team for a good portion of the game. They are not just getting bulldozed and taken advantage of. Also I think they put up much more of a fight against the Saints then the Eagles did. I know they did not have McNabb but they still had Kolb throwing for 391 yards, how much better would Mc do?

But the point is they are competitive. They were beating a legit Vikings team for a good portion of the game. They are not just getting bulldozed and taken advantage of. Also I think they put up much more of a fight against the Saints then the Eagles did. I know they did not have McNabb but they still had Kolb throwing for 391 yards, how much better would Mc do?

I guess we have different definitions of being "competitive." I expect an NFL team to be in the contest and even lead a game or two at the half. Tell me what they are doing in the fourth and in the decisive minutes. Most games in the NFL are competitive. The fact that the Lions may reach the very outskirts of that definition for one game this year (and that's being really generous), doesn't say much to me. Only two games last week did teams lose by larger point differentials than the Lions. In week one, it was the same story - two teams lost by bigger point differentials than the Lions.

The NFL is a parity league. It's really tough not to be competitive most weeks. Yet, the Lions really aren't They have been on the losing end of the third-worst scoring differential in each of the first two weeks. I just don't see where that's competitive.

I really do not think you can look at the schedule and think you have an easy game. They definitly have talent with Stafford, Kevin Smith and Johnson on offense. It is just a matter of putting it together. I know you need more then 3 guys to run a team, but they are definitly not a push over team like their record indicates.

If they keep playing Stafford it will be a while until this team plays like it can.

Against the Vikings the Lions had nearly everything fall into their lap and go right for the 1st 25 minutes yet they still got smoked 27-13 by the Vikings at home.

But the point is they are competitive. They were beating a legit Vikings team for a good portion of the game.

The vikings getting beat by a bad team for a good portion of the game is probably more accurate.

Also I think they put up much more of a fight against the Saints then the Eagles did. I know they did not have McNabb but they still had Kolb throwing for 391 yards, how much better would Mc do?

Any chance the Saints were more "up" for the Eagles who many have picked to win the NFC?

Don't get me wrong, I love the optimism, and welcome to the board and all...but your glass is a lot more than half full on this one....

I like the optimism... But this team is not scary... well actually the only thing scary about this team, is wondering which QB's are going to light up the Lions next.... that is scary.

On a lighter note, we are doing somethings better... alot better, compared to the decade of sucking on all sides of the ball.....

Our defense almost looks like a pop warner's defense, instead of my grandma's defense... rest in peace Grandma (didnt mean to offend you by using you and the Lions in the same sentence)

We were able to get pressure of Brett, and even contain AP somewhat... I mean realistically AP could of went for Frank Gore numbers... 207yds and 2TD's... but he didnt.

Our offense actually has a clue on what it wants to do... Matt Stafford is looking like a real deal QB (minus the INT's)... some of those throws he zipped, were uplifting... since we never had a big arm QB since... the dawn of time.......

CJ... is a beast... please (who ever is upstairs)... dont let him leave...

Smith is off to a slow start, but im expecting him to do better...

And the Offensive line is actually moving forward for positive yards in the rushing and have done a fair job in the protection.... I said "fair".....

Are we close in becoming a winning football team... no... but there are flashes of what is to come.. and that is better than, what we all have come to know ..... and that is "what is not going to come"... like... playoffs...

But the Lions were in a bunch of games last year until the 4th quarter so its not like you can tell much from two games this season.... I think alot of the Lions problem is mental, as soon as a break goes against them it seems like they get an " here it comes again" attitude and just give in

But the Lions were in a bunch of games last year until the 4th quarter so its not like you can tell much from two games this season.... I think alot of the Lions problem is mental, as soon as a break goes against them it seems like they get an " here it comes again" attitude and just give in

I get the same feeling.. but how many of the old Lions are left... not that many... so there should be a different view of things.... atleast I hope

This Sunday, I will call it a win... our first win.... Redskins are beat up very badly on the Offensive line... they barely scored on St.Louis (who im sure we are better than.... oh please be right)

Can somebody ban this guy? Complete rubbish.

Which guy?

The guy who has been watching the Lions since he was 9 and that actually watches every single game till the very end, regardless of how bad the game is.....

If your talking about that guy... then good luck buddy...

Instead of posting a "Banning request" maybe you should enlighten us on your thoughts of how this team is doing compared to how they have done in the past... just a thought.

Can we abandon the whole "parity" theory. There is no parity in sports. On any given Sunday, sure. But at the end of the season, the teams you expect to be in the playoffs usually are. Just like every other sport.

In 2001, the Lions lost nine consecutive games by eight points are less. Being in games does not indicate future success.

Can we abandon the whole "parity" theory. There is no parity in sports. On any given Sunday, sure. But at the end of the season, the teams you expect to be in the playoffs usually are. Just like every other sport.

You do know this is the Lions.... Where parity is the only good thing we have at this point...

To quote Jim Mora "Playoffs?..... You want to talk about playoffs?...... Are You Kidding me... Playoffs.... I want to talk about just winning a game"

I know at the end of the day a franchise is determined by the number of wins and the number of Super Bowl Championship trophies....

Which to my knowledge, excluding the 1950's... we dont have much if not any in either of those categories.

But I like looking at the silver lining.... And the silver lining is that the Lions are looking better than they have... yes they are still losing... but atleast they can rush more than 10yds and have a QB that can throw further than 30yds....

The Saints destroyed us, like they did to Phili.... But the Vikings game was very much with in a winning reach....

This Lion team is scary guys.

I agree...

oh wait, I don't think you mean the same thing as me.

My head hurts everytime I happen to read the title of this thread.

Edited by pape06

Agreed. The only sport with anything close to this is baseball right now, and even that is a stretch for the most part. Go figure that the sport without a salary cap is the one with the most parity.

Weren't the Arizona Cardinals in the Super Bowl last year? They are traditional losers

Also, last season - Miami went from 1-15 to 11-5, Atlanta 4-12 to 11-5, Baltimore 5-11 to 11-5, Carolina 7-9 to 12-4.

So 10 teams had double-digit wins last year - four had losing records the previous year. Another was perennial loser Arizona. Is it true certain teams seem to stay on top longer than others? Sure. But the NFL is set up so that any team can bounce from 5-11 to 11-5 pretty darn quickly. Just because some franchises can't take advantage of that, doesn't mean the format doesn't encourage it. And, in fact, does it pretty well.

Here's another quick one I did courtesy of pro football reference.

These teams listed below from 2005 to 2008 experienced a five-win or worse season AND a 11-win or better season.

Tennessee 4-12 2005, 13-3 2008

Tampa Bay 2-12 2006, 11-5 2005

Seattle 4-12 2008, 13-3 2005

Miami 1-15 2007, 11-5 2008

Jacksonville 5-11 2008, 11-5 2007

Green Bay 4-12 2005, 13-3 2007

Cincy 4-11-1 2008, 11-5 2005

Baltimore - crazy 6-10 to 13-3 to 5-11 to 11-5

Atlanta 4-12 2007, 11-5 2008

That's 9 teams that experienced pretty bad and pretty good seasons within a four-year period. I selected 11-5 as the key number because if you finish with that record, you are pretty much a lock to make the playoffs. Therefore, if you took the opposite for a toilet bowl, there's a good chance 5-11 would put you in it.

That list doesn't include Arizona, who was in the Super Bowl last year, but finished 9-7. Based on their pathetic history, I think it would be fair to say they are team No. 10. That's a lot of teams making going up and down within a very short period of time.