JOliver

How Do We Spend Maggs $18 Million?

Isn't Sheffield getting paid 14 million Tiger dollars this year? So what is 4 million more if that keeps all the Venezualan players happy that Magglio is still on the team?

I would be tempted to offer Polanco arbitration, and hope he walks. Use that cash to resign Washburn.

Are the Tigers saving any money due to insurance on Willis against his DL stints?

Huff is starting to make me wonder if he's hitting the wall at a premature age. I would not bring him back unless it was a very inexpensive one-year deal, at this point.

I would be tempted to offer Polanco arbitration, and hope he walks.

I would offer him arbitration, though I don't necessarily hope that he walks. It's more that I don't care if he does or doesn't. If he does, bring up Sizemore and bring on the draft pick(s). If he doesn't, we get him back for another year, which is a scenario I'd be pleased with as well.

Oh, to answer the last question:

While, as I've said, I'm almost certain the option will vest.......again, whether it vests or not, I'd like to see the Tigers pursue Marco Scutaro in the off-season.

I don't know what the market will be like for him. He's coming off of a career year and therefore he may enter a market that will far overvalue him......which is something I don't want......but even in a "normal" year for him, he gets decent OBP and is a good fielder. I would replace Everett with him.

Of course, if he's asking for 4/44 (or more) I'd think twice, but just purely on a player personnel level, I think he is an intriguing player. Of course, I'd rather worry about the off-season during the off-season. This season has so much life in it remaining!

I agree 100% with this choice 3/20MM. It would allow is to break in Sizemore at 2B, move Granderson down in the order and maitain defensive integrity.

We can afford to compromise the draft choices.

I've never seen people fret over someone else's money more in my life than here on MTS about Magglio's vest package.
Plus one billllliiiion.

I've never seen people fret over someone else's money more in my life than here on MTS about Magglio's vest package.

That argument has been stated on here many teams and I don't buy it one bit. People could are not fretting the money; they are fretting the Tiger's future.

I have accepted the fact that the Tigers are going to pay Maggs next year. I think it was a mistake but it is a foregone conclusion now. The best we can hope for is that he rebounds next year. I believe he might even have one more vesting option in his contract for 2011 and the Tigers need to make sure that one does not vest.

If I am not mistaken, Sheff's contract IS coming of the books this offseason and that is money the Tiger's might have to spend elsewhere.

As long as Illitch is around, the Tigers will have few payroll limitations. But the truly "bad" contracts (Willis, Robertson) are going to limit their FA excursions for a while. I'm assuming most of Sheff's money will be used up by other pay raises.

the first post in this thread had me scrambling for Magglio's release info.

Thanks for nothing

Umm...sorry. Just wanted to stimulate talk on what we can do with Maggs option $$$$.

Epic fail? Not quite.

If Maggs doesn't vest........the Tigs are setting themselves up for some F.A. money that nobody counted on. Couple that with a play off team and the $$$ Illitch will make off at least the 1st round...........I like us next year!

Let me get this back on track.

$18 million . . . They could extend Inge 3 years.

LOL! Touche'. He's going to get the at-bats needed, so everyone should just accept it and move on. The best hope would be someone approaching the Tigers about trading for him, but that's unlikely if they've been paying attention to his at-bats. The guy swings late on average Major League fastballs. That is not a good sign.

Wasn't he underpaid when he hit that historic home run to put us into the WS in '06 and when he hit .363 in '07?

Wasn't this contrct designed to reward him for making it to the 5th year as long as he met the performance stipulations?

I think he's earned the 18 million already and I don't think we should just kick him to the curb now.

(Mike Valente is an idiot)

I don't think he was ever underpaid as a Tiger. Anyway, what he did in 2006 is irrelevant to whether I want him on the team in 2010. I can still enjoy the memories of 2006 and his great 2007 without him on the team next year. the only reason I want any player on the team is if he helps the team win in that year.

Edited by tiger337

Umm...sorry. Just wanted to stimulate talk on what we can do with Maggs option $$$$.

Epic fail? Not quite.

If Maggs doesn't vest........the Tigs are setting themselves up for some F.A. money that nobody counted on. Couple that with a play off team and the $$$ Illitch will make off at least the 1st round...........I like us next year!

Ordonez is currently on a pace to vest within two weeks, see the thread just a short ways down the first page for an update. I'm assuming you are referring to the vesting of next year, not 2011 ?

http://www.motownsports.com/forums/detroit-tigers/73568-magglio-incentive-counter.html

Why are the Tigers broke? They just had their 2 millionth fan at the game today. Just because most of us are broke doesn't mean the Tigers are.

It isn't Magg's fault that DD signed those bad contracts to Willis and Robertson. If you want to blame somebody for the weak team we have, blame DD.

I don't know if the Tigers are "broke," but DD has gone on record as saying that they've stretched their payroll (approx $130 million.) I'm assuming that as a mid-market team, they can't afford to spend much more than that on payroll. And as my last post illustrated, they will be close to that number just considering existing contracts, arbitration raises and free agents signed to replace ones who will sign elsewhere.

If you've read any of my posts, you must know I do blame DD for the incredibly poor job he's done as GM of late. He's been reckless about signing average players to contract extensions. And I think his decision to not release Maggs when he was struggling was a mistake. But it is over and done with now. His option will be vesting, and DD will have to be very creative about signing players over the offseason. There won't be much money available to spend until Robertson, Willis, Bonderman, and Inge's contracts come off the books after next season.

If I am not mistaken, Sheff's contract IS coming of the books this offseason and that is money the Tiger's might have to spend elsewhere.

They will be spending Sheffield's money to cover salary increases for players already on the roster. Cabrera, Robertson, Willis and Bonderman are getting raises next season. Jackson, Verlander, etc. will get raises in arbitration.

See my vest (option)...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsFHEK_o9U8&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsFHEK_o9U8&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

And I think his decision to not release Maggs when he was struggling was a mistake. But it is over and done with now. His option will be vesting, and DD will have to be very creative about signing players over the offseason.
Agreed with you 100% on the Willis extension, but the Robertson extension seemed reasonable at the time. As for Ordonez, the Tigers were pretty doggone short of bodies in the outfield during the first half. Even though Ordonez was slumping horribly, the injuries to Guillen and Thames along with the release of Sheffield really tied their hands with Ordonez.

Looking his his previous year's performance, I can see the Tigers' "side" of this - they expected Ordonez to snap out of it at some point. In addition he was dealing with his wife's health issues. Pure speculation here, but perhaps the Tigers felt his off-field issues had affected his on-field performance adversely?

Amen. What is it now, $8.50 for 3/4 of a 22 oz? Illitch is a greedy one.

$8.25, filled to the brim of a 22 oz., as of yesterday.

What do the Lions charge? I haven't been to a Lions game in years.

Really? We have to have another thread about this?

Well, the closer position has been solid this year, and everyone seems to be on board with Inge's value, so we've had to get a little creative about which arguments to have over and over again.

This and the value of stats seem to be the leaders in the clubhouse