Zakk_Wylde

Magic Number countdown

This link has the best explanation for the magic number breakdown...

RIOT -- Major League Baseball --

I like their charts, that's easy. One note is that in their Numbers Explanation they point out the difference between their "clinch numbers" and the traditional magic numbers. Their clinch numbers clinch only a tie, so will be 1 less than the traditional magic numbers which countdown the number needed to outright win the division or playoff spot. Not sure why they did that, except to be different.

Since the Twins and Sox are tied, don't they both have to lose tonight for the number to go down?

Since the Twins and Sox are tied, don't they both have to lose tonight for the number to go down?

I believe you are correct. Good point.

Magic Number at 31, going down by 1 after the Tiger win, but since the Twins (closest team in standings) won, we only get our 1 win to take off!

Magic Number at 31, going down by 1 after the Tiger win, but since the Twins (closest team in standings) won, we only get our 1 win to take off!

Wait a second. Chicago was closer at the start of the day. That loss counts as a magic number deduction, right?

Wait a second. Chicago was closer at the start of the day. That loss counts as a magic number deduction, right?

It would count as a number reduction for our magic number to eliminate the white sox.

Yesterday, both teams were at the magic number of 32 behind the Tigers. Now the Twins lose 1 because the Tigers won. White Sox lose 2 because the Tigers won and Sox lost.

32-1=31 for Twins

32-2=30 for White Sox

Looking at the Twins' and Sox' rosters, they're both pretty mediocre teams. I find it hard to believe either of them are going to mount the kind of late-season run it would take to pass the Tigers -- even if the Tigers end up being mediocre the rest of the way.

I'd like to see us pass the Angels in the standings so we don't have to play the Yankees in the ALDS. A five game series with the first two in New York in the first year in their new stadium is going to be very difficult.

Looking at the Twins' and Sox' rosters, they're both pretty mediocre teams. I find it hard to believe either of them are going to mount the kind of late-season run it would take to pass the Tigers -- even if the Tigers end up being mediocre the rest of the way.

I'd like to see us pass the Angels in the standings so we don't have to play the Yankees in the ALDS. A five game series with the first two in New York in the first year in their new stadium is going to be very difficult.

Well, you can root for Texas to pass Boston for the Wild Card, which seems more likely at this point. I'd rather play the Yankees than Boston, so I'm not hoping the Angels get passed...

id rather play the redsox, because the tigers would get home field. Then if the angels beat the yankees the tigers would have home field again. Tigers are pretty good at home.

I'd rather play the Yankees in a 5 game series than a 7 game series.

9/6/2009						

W L Rate W L
TIGERS 75 61 0.551 88 74 Detroit record at 0.500 for rest of season
WS 68 69 0.496 0.800 <--- Win Rate to Catch Detroit
TWINS 68 68 0.500 0.769 <--- Win Rate to Catch Detroit

W L Rate W L
TIGERS 75 61 0.551 91 71 Detroit record at 0.600 for rest of season
WS 68 69 0.496 0.920 <--- Win Rate to Catch Detroit
TWINS 68 68 0.500 0.885 <--- Win Rate to Catch Detroit

W L Rate W L
TIGERS 75 61 0.551 89 73 Detroit record at current win rate for rest of season
WS 68 69 0.496 0.840 <--- Win Rate to Catch Detroit
TWINS 68 68 0.500 0.808 <--- Win Rate to Catch Detroit

W L Rate W L
TIGERS 75 61 0.551 87 75 Detroit record at 0.450 for rest of season
WS 68 69 0.496 0.760 <--- Win Rate to Catch Detroit
TWINS 68 68 0.500 0.731 <--- Win Rate to Catch Detroit

Plus the Sox are working on losing #70 right now.

What happen to the number 21...oh that's right. We kicked *** and the other two losers failed today....oh well.