sportz4life

Tigers Acquire Aubrey Huff

Is he going to be here for tonights game?

and does anyone think that playing on a poor team like Baltimore could make it hard to keep going out there and preforming? The guys never been on a contender, I could see him really enjoying this.

According to billfer's conf call notes, Huff passed all the way through waivers without being claimed and the Tigers are taking on his entire salary. So what I don't understand is - why didn't they just claim him instead of having to trade someone for him?

Good question.

So, that means Raburn, Thomas, or Thames is on the bubble. Or, in my dreams, Ordonez.

Ordonez has had a nice August so far. Hopefully he's turning it around. I'd expect Thomas or Raburn are out.

I am not exactly sure what you are saying here. Do you believe the RBI is not a good indicator of a good hitter. It seems to me there is a reason the same guys seem to be at the top in rbi leaders every year and why those guys get paid the most. I am not saying Huff is a good hitter because he has 72 rbi's but I don't think we should completely discount the stat either.

Psssh, stats. You can use stats to prove anything thats even remotely true. :grin:

I am not exactly sure what you are saying here. Do you believe the RBI is not a good indicator of a good hitter. It seems to me there is a reason the same guys seem to be at the top in rbi leaders every year and why those guys get paid the most. I am not saying Huff is a good hitter because he has 72 rbi's but I don't think we should completely discount the stat either.

Generally speaking, the guys with the most RBIs are also the guys who hit the most HRs and get the most hits. RBI is a nice correlating result, but it is not the reason for the result.

No, I'm not kidding. It's good that he has hit well with RISP this year but that's in the past. I'm interested in what he can do for the Tigers, not what he did for the Orioles. Past RISP is not a good predictor of future RISP so I have no idea whether he will continue to be good in those situations. Plus, he hasn't done crap since the beginning of July. Like I said, he's a streak hitter so I'm hoping he gets hot. I don't really mind giving up Jacobson for him.

I am guessing there are several hitters out there who hit well or poor with RISP every year. I don't know that it is fair to say past RISP is not a good predicator for future RISP but that might be the case with Huff.

Is he going to be here for tonights game?

and does anyone think that playing on a poor team like Baltimore could make it hard to keep going out there and preforming? The guys never been on a contender, I could see him really enjoying this.

The Tigers have an off night.

I appreciate the Tigers effort. Fantastic gamble, low risk/high reward. Wonder if this deal gets made if Raburn did not play third last night.

Generally speaking, the guys with the most RBIs are also the guys who hit the most HRs and get the most hits. RBI is a nice correlating result, but it is not the reason for the result.

That is true but that doesn't change the fact that RBI's can be used as an indicator of a good hitter.

This could be a trade of Jacobson for a first and a supplemental first. I'll take that.

There is zero chance of that happening. We should ask Eddie what are the chances that Huff falls back to being a "B" rather than an "A".

If Huff is an A nobody will sign him for that kind of compensation. For a sandwich pick..No problem.

God I can't wait til I never have to hear about Larish again on here...

I'll miss hearing about his great OBP at Toledo.

So let's see....if a hitter comes to the plate with runners on base and he drives those runners in, that's meaningless?

Gotcha.

I realize that RBIs are team-dependent, so a player's lack of RBI doesn't necessarily mean he isn't a good hitter. But I just dont' get how some people can dismiss RBI as "meaningless." It means he had lots of opportunities. It also means he took advantage of them.

RBI are meaningful in retrospect. They are not very meaningful in projecting how well a player will hit in the future. I'm more interested in what he will do for the Tigers than what he did for the Orioles. I like the fact that he has a good track record versus RHP and that he's capable of getting very hot.

If you don't think there is a different type of mindset for a batter with runner's on base and the game on the line, you've never played organized sports...

Haven't you gotten the memo? Players are only the sum total of their statistics. No more, no less. There are no mitigating factors. Only hard numbers.

This is where it gets circular. The top RBI guys are the top RBI guys every year because they are good hitters, and good hitters are generally put in position to get lots of RBIs because, since they are good hitters, they are going to be batting 3rd or 4th or 5th.

The act of getting an RBI is not meaningless. The RBI stat is meaningless because it has no predictive value, nor does it really shed light on the true talent level of the individual. The same caveats apply to RBIs that apply to pitcher Wins. In the same way I could plug an average hitter in the middle of a terrific lineup and rack up RBIs (see, Tony Bautista, Rico Brogna), I can plug an average pitcher into the middle of a great team's rotation and rack up wins.

Is there any chance this is really him?

Aubrey Huff (AubreyHuff) on Twitter

If so, he kind of trashes Detroit...

Tough series on and off the field. A vet once told me - If you have to go to Detroit you might as well be in a bad mood already.10:58 AM Aug 3rd from UberTwitter

This could be a trade of Jacobson for a first and a supplemental first. I'll take that.

After this season, why on earth would he not except arbitration?

That is true but that doesn't change the fact that RBI's can be used as an indicator of a good hitter.

Almost anything can be used an indicator. The issue is how well the indicator works. RBIs are not a very good indicator. In fact, they are one of the worst (as far as mainstream hitting indicators go).

RBI are meaningful in retrospect. They are not very meaningful in projecting how well a player will hit in the future..

So, if a player puts up five years of RBI numbers like this:

....I can't expect that, barring injury, he'll continue to do well if he gets RBI opportunities? Why not?

If past performance isn't an indicator on how a player will do in the future, what is?

I am guessing there are several hitters out there who hit well or poor with RISP every year. I don't know that it is fair to say past RISP is not a good predicator for future RISP but that might be the case with Huff.

Huff's career BA with RISP is slightly less than his career BA overall. So, I'm guessing he doesn't have a special ability to hit with RISP.

If you don't think there is a different type of mindset for a batter with runner's on base and the game on the line, you've never played organized sports...

If this were the main factor behind RBI production, don't you think players would more consistently be good or bad with RISP?

Haven't you gotten the memo? Players are only the sum total of their statistics. No more, no less. There are no mitigating factors. Only hard numbers.

Did Aubrey Huff's mental fortitude change from year to year?

I'm referring to pryo's post a page back or so.

So, if a player puts up five years of RBI numbers like this:

....I can't expect that, barring injury, he'll continue to do well if he gets RBI opportunities? Why not?

If past performance isn't an indicator on how a player will do in the future, what is?

Well, you can expect that to continue if he's actually a good hitter. If he's Tony Batista or Rico Brogna, not so much.

The point is, RBIs are too dependent on other factors to be a reliable indicator of hitting ability, compared to less dependent things like OBP, SLG, HRs, etc.