sportz4life

Tigers Acquire Aubrey Huff

Well in reality this trade prolly does nothing either way. Huff though does have a track record so at least there is some upside here. It's not a huge risk. After thinking more about it it really shouldn't be hard at all to get another Jacobson into the system next June.

Doesn't really matter since he will accept arbitration if the Tigers offer it.

Not necessarily so. He would probably look for a longer contract first.

8 million this year...are you serious?

He'll probably make significantly more in arbitration than he would on the market. I also doubt anyone would give up a 1st round pick to get him.

Put it this way, if he was a good candidate to offer arbitration, and let him walk to the market, the Os would've asked for a little more than Brett Jacobson.

It's hard to get excited about Huff's .725 OPS but they do need a LH bat and he's capable of getting really hot. Jacobson is a good prospect but he's a minor league reliever which means he is very not very projectable. It's a blah trade but could turn out good without a big risk.

You are kidding right? You can't get excited about a guy with 72 rbi's (and a lefty to boot) coming to a team that has literally left MYRIADS of runners in scoring position and has lost a bucketload of 1 run games where just 1 extra rbi could have turned a loss into a win, that's not exciting?:happy:

Satterwhite is healthy again. I saw him pitch yesterday for Erie. He looked good, but his command was a little rough. Not surprising since it was his first appearance since returning from the DL. Anyway, Perry is already in the big leagues and Weinhardt, Green, and Gayhart are all having good seasons, so I'm not too upset about losing Jacobson.

I guess i thought the Satterwhite injury was worse. Even if it wasn't your right.

I do think as others have said that Huff could be better than the Casey trade. Although Jacobson I believe was more intriguing than Rogers.

People here constantly complain about clutch hitting

his clutch stats (this season)

with men on - .317 avg .919 ops

with RISP - .324 avg .925 ops

We just need to hope guys are on base for him to drive in. The team still doesn't get on base enough as a team.

He is having a bad offensive year.

Well his 70 some rbi's he has this year would lead our team. So it can't be that bad, can it?

He's been awful this year but he can play 3rd better than Raburn and did post some good offensive numbers last year. The hope, I guess, is that he will return to that form b/c he is a streaky hitter. I guess he bumps Raburn out as the backup 3rd baseman and may take over DH duties against right handed pitching once Guillen goes to LF? It will be interesting to see how this all shakes out.

As Shelton mentioned, he may be the victim of some bad luck with BABIP and his OPS against right handed pitching has been above .850 over the last 3 seasons. If he can return to that form, then this is a good deal.

This trade likely cuts down on Maggs PAs. That's something.

Seriously, just let go of it...

This trade likely cuts down on Maggs PAs. That's something.

maggs is hitting .356 with a .992 ops the past month including 2 2b, 2 3b and 2 hr. He has been one of our best hitters lately, so I dont know why thats such a good thing.

We just need to hope guys are on base for him to drive in. The team still doesn't get on base enough as a team.

hit him 5th behind Cabrera - who is on base a ton. Also lets you move Carlos to 3rd and drop Clete down in the lineup, who has been struggling.

Too bad they didn't make the deal two weeks ago. Could of been the difference in the 1st game in Boston and yesterday. I can't believe they would of given up anymore if the deal had been done on 7/31.

0-16 with risp yesterday...

He's been awful this year but he can play 3rd better than Raburn and did post some good offensive numbers last year. The hope, I guess, is that he will return to that form b/c he is a streaky hitter. I guess he bumps Raburn out as the backup 3rd baseman and may take over DH duties against right handed pitching once Guillen goes to LF? It will be interesting to see how this all shakes out.

As Shelton mentioned, he may be the victim of some bad luck with BABIP and his OPS against right handed pitching has been above .850 over the last 3 seasons. If he can return to that form, then this is a good deal.

No, he's not awful. His rbi total is better than anyone on the Tigers roster. The Tigers BIGGEST need is a run producer.

Yeah, Huff is just having a bad year. Except that he's only hit over .290 4 out of 11 pro seasons.

And no he doesn't hit for power.

But he is a lefty and watching him bat is going to make me feel slightly more comfortable than about 5 other guys in our lineup.

Notes from the conference call which just ended:

* DD: Huff adds left handed middle of the bat type hitter to the team. They’ve worked on getting a bat for awhile

* DD: Huff can play first, third (spell Brandon), DH, and left field. Hasn’t played left since 2006. Huff is happy to play any position and play in a pennant race.

* Huff will be a free agent after this year (currently Type A)

* DD: Brandon Inge isn’t going on the DL

* DD: no correlation between Jacobson move and Turner/Oliver signings

* DD: not sure how much Guillen can play in the field but would like to have both bats in the lineup against right handed pitching

* DD: Huff passed through waivers – he wasn’t claimed by Detroit

* DD: Tigers are taking on the remainder of Huff’s salary

* DD: Magglio is not the corresponding roster move

Huff is having a down year, to be sure. That doesn't mean he's officially horrible forever, or that he won't hit once he gets here. I could easily see him breaking out once he gets here.

Well, he kind of sucks, but that could still be an upgrade to the Tigers offense. I think anyone who thinks we'll get a first round pick for him is completely delusional. Even if he declined arb no one would give up a 1st rounder to sign Aubrey Huff.

Meh, I think minor league relievers are the best possible thing to ever trade, so I'd call it a + trade. But then, that brings us the question of "why did we draft so many freaking college relievers"

Unless we're going to trade them all for various 2006 Matt Stairs style players

also lol god I hate these arguments but come on people

Let's play a game, it's called "pretend Aubrey Huff was on the Tigers all year instead of the Orioles and batted exactly the same"

How many RBIs do you think he'd have? If you said 70+ I would like to offer you an amazing investment opportunity. Please contact me immediately! RBIs are meaningless as far as his production. If you stuck Neifi Perez on the '27 Yankees he'd have RBIs that doesn't mean he is a good hitter

Edited by pyrotigers

And no he doesn't hit for power.

He's got 5 seasons of 20+ homeruns. I wouldnt say thats no power...

No, he's not awful. His rbi total is better than anyone on the Tigers roster. The Tigers BIGGEST need is a run producer.

This is why RBI is an overrated stat. He has an OPS of .725, a OBP of .321, and a wOBA of .307. Looking just at wOBA, he is 9 runs below average offensively and has a WAR of -0.4. Yes, he has been awful this season.

With that said, he is a streaky hitter and unless he hit the dreaded wall b/c he is about to turn 33, then I expect him to OPS above .800 against right handed pitching for us. Low risk, high reward move. It it better than nothing and it is worth it, imo.