sportz4life

Tigers Acquire Aubrey Huff

You argue, then make some concessions, it seems like some common ground is found, then you go right back in the next thread to the beginning of the cycle, as if the last 15,000 arguments you've engaged in never told you anything of value. Why even try?
I have to agree with this one Tyrus, even if we are old Internet buds. It's like living with dementia at times. One thing I'll conceed, it's never boring with you around .......

Man, every thread I went to yesterday it seemed people were pissy. Must be the long overdue summer heat wave LOL.

Edited by DaYooperASBDT

What was his Detroit knock?

It was something to the effect of:

"A Vet once told me if your already in a bad mood, you might as well be in Detroit..."

It was posted around the time Baltimore was playing here...

Let's be honest, this isn't the most desireable city to live in when you're a professional athlete. Given the choice of living in metro Detroit or somewhere in California, I'm pretty sure that's an easy call for most of us.

Let's be honest, this isn't the most desireable city to live in when you're a professional athlete. Given the choice of living in metro Detroit or somewhere in California, I'm pretty sure that's an easy call for most of us.

Not when California falls into the ocean.

I prefer metro Detroit. Also, I think the ballplayers care less than you may think about where they are for 81 games a year, at least in my opinion.

Some parts of metro Detroit are awfully nice, but if Mr. Huff was referring to moreso downtown Detroit or areas like Hamtramack, along with the fact that our economy is heavily based from two of the worst-run companies in America (with Ford a close 3rd), add in corrupt city governments, etc. then Mr. Huff is 100% correct. The weather alone has been pretty damned depressing this year!

(And yes, there are parts of the U.P. that aren't exactly great shakes, either.)

If you want to contradict this, I suggest we have a lively discussion in the Bar & Grill or political forum. In hindsight maybe I'll go ahead to start that thread anyway, lest I trash this one.

EDIT: I just posted a thread in the Bar & Grill, in case this merits further discussion. Sorry for going OT here.

Edited by DaYooperASBDT

Really some interesting posts here...I guess ill never get the people who think that a guy who has spent most of his career in the minors (so far) and has had limited success in the majors ( that is why he is in the minors ) is a better option than Huff..

He is someone who has a proven track record in the majors..He is someone the Tigers desperately need..And will be an asset to the club down the stretch..

If giving up a middle relief pitcher (project) is all we had to do to get Huff..Its a steal...

The Tigers maybe have a legitimate shot at the WS this year and next...After that, it will be a rebuild...Take your shot now, while you can..If it fails, so be it...The fact is, we are in a pennant chase and they are doing what it takes to win now....

cheers..

Oblong was the only one who suggested that Larish might be better than Huff, and he was just playing devil's advocate to point out that Larish's time with the organization is done. There are very few people in this thread that dislike the trade, and those people just happen to have a high opinion of Brett Jacobson.

Looking at Huff's past seasons, I can only conclude that we bought low here for a reasonable price (Jacobsen),

even if this turns out to be a couple month's rental. And if we could somehow score those draft picks .....

Hopefully he can continue being a "Rays Killer" in the 7 games coming up against TB.

Since leaving Tampa Bay, Huff has been a Rays-killer, batting .301 with 11 homers and 27 RBIs in 42 games, while slugging .603 against his former team.

"A Vet once told me if your already in a bad mood, you might as well be in Detroit..."

I wouldn't read too much into this comment. Huff seems to make off-the-cuff remarks without holding any real malice. He's a pretty funny and likeable guy. I think it's just a dry humor that doesn't always connect.

Before the 2008 season, he said the nightlife in Baltimore was "horsebleep" compared to Tampa. It angered a lot of us Baltimorons. Of course, he followed it up by having a career year.

We overpaid for a salary dump. But I guess since he's a LHB and can play 3B in a pinch (probably better than Raburn), it made this move necessary. I can't get too upset about it, but I think we gave up too much in Jacobson, considering the O's didn't kick anything in for Huff's salary. Pretty much every other trade this season included cash to offset the salary of the player that was moved. The two exceptions seem to be Washburn and now Huff.

I wouldn't read too much into this comment. Huff seems to make off-the-cuff remarks without holding any real malice. He's a pretty funny and likeable guy. I think it's just a dry humor that doesn't always connect.

Before the 2008 season, he said the nightlife in Baltimore was "horsebleep" compared to Tampa. It angered a lot of us Baltimorons. Of course, he followed it up by having a career year.

I agree. He has already won me over, assuming his Twitter account is really him...

You actually asked a question earlier about what stats are better than RBI in measuring repeatable skill. After posting thousands of times over many years, you have to ask this question? Give me a break.

Cutting through all of the BS, if you are saying that RBI is as valuable as OPS in measuring the repeatable skills of a player, you're simply not worth listening to.

There are sabers on this board that like to tweak your nose, but you are simply one of the most obstinate posters I've ever seen.

You argue, then make some concessions, it seems like some common ground is found, then you go right back in the next thread to the beginning of the cycle, as if the last 15,000 arguments you've engaged in never told you anything of value. Why even try?

Listen, the only time I take the mickey out of you numbers people is when you start saying definitively that your opinions are right, and act like anyone who disagrees is wrong.

As I've said time and again, your data suggests, but does not prove. So perhaps a less authoritarian tone might mitigate these arguments.

In short, folks who sit behind computers crunching numbers should stop pretending they know so much more about baseball than other folks. Because.they.don't.

Want to see the fallacy in your arguments? Here goes:

The popular wisdom is that people's work is affected after their spouse dies. But I looked at 50,000 employees of a widget factory and compared those whose spouses died with those whose spouses didn't die, and I found no significant statistical drop in production. The number of widgets made by the group of employees whose spouses were alive is the same as those whose spouses died. And the quality control numbers were essentially the same.

Therefore, I'm going to use those stats to state definitively that the notion that people's work is affected by their spouse dying is wrong.

Well, no, it's not wrong. It only means that if you lump everyone together into a control group, the stats don't back up the hypothesis. In other words, the stats suggest a conclusion.

But there are so many other complex issues at play, why would anyone think this study proves something one way or another? And, most importantly, why would anyone dare to be so smug about that conclusion as to try to make anyone who dissented feel stupid?

And, Lee, before you say "but that hasn't happened in this thread," I suggest you go back and read the thread.

And, finally, anyone who doesn't like the way I post, may I suggest a simple solution: Put me on ignore. It's a fairly easy feature to master.

And, finally, anyone who doesn't like the way I post, may I suggest a simple solution: Put me on ignore. It's a fairly easy feature to master.

I think I'm going to try that. Thanks.

Oh snap, now you've done it..We always end up back here, until the next time.

That sounds innocent enough. It's like people who used to make Cleveland jokes. It really wasn't anything personal against that city; it's just what one did when one wanted to make a crack about a crappy city.

It certainly means Huff isn't original. But I'm not offended by the comment.

From Twitter....

AubreyHuff - Thanks for all the support #Tigers fans. I'm just trying to get rested and ready for tonight's game.

2 minutes ago from web

I have no interest in putting you on ignore but just how is it done? I have done this in another forum but I have not figured it out here yet. What I would like to see is when you put someone on ignore that they can't read your post either. This way you can have you cake and eat it too.

I haven't read this thread, but I don't see how this can be anything but a good move. You'd have to think his addition - a versatile left-handed bat - should help this team win a couple games down the stretch.

From Twitter....

AubreyHuff - Thanks for all the support #Tigers fans. I'm just trying to get rested and ready for tonight's game.

2 minutes ago from web

What a jerk. :wink:

From Twitter....

2 minutes ago from web

"Rested"??!!?? That lazy jerk should be looking at video of tonight's opposing pitcher! :happy:

I have no interest in putting you on ignore but just how is it done? I have done this in another forum but I have not figured it out here yet. What I would like to see is when you put someone on ignore that they can't read your post either. This way you can have you cake and eat it too.

* Go to "User CP" in the blue bar near the top of this page.

* Under "Your Control Panel" -- the second column from the left -- there's a header "Settings and Options." Choose "edit ignore list," which is the last choice in that category.

* Add the name(s) you wish to put on that list.

* Rinse and repeat. :classic:

My only fear is that it seems like whenever everybody's certain something will happen, it blows up in our face.