Sign in to follow this  
RedRamage

A different Triple-A next year?

Someone over in the Tiger's group mentioned that Toledo is "seriously looking into other options" for next year. Does anyone know how true this is? How likely that the Tigers may need a new Triple-A affiliate next year?

And, if so, is anyone else of the opinion that Grand Rapids could make a great place for that Triple-A team?

I think that GR could support a Triple-A team, and the location is still very close to Detroit.

GR would be more than able to support AAA team. What would be interesting is I think the Astros contract with Battle Creek may be winding up. Can you imagine having the Battlecats the single A affiliate (still in the Midwest League) and the AAA team up in GR? Wonder what the Lugnuts contract is with the Cubs.

Originally posted by Evenings with Ernie

Maybe GR could support AAA, but attendance has been declining the last few years for the Whitecaps.

True, but I think the chance to see players who might be on the Tigers roster next year, or even next week might improve attendance. Right now it's like watching players who might possibly make it one day maybe...

man, if I were still in GR, I'd be there every opportunity single or triple A. Hubby asked me how I liked living in a major league town, and I'd give up the Cards for the Caps.

It's no wonder Toledo would be shopping for a new affiliate. The Tigers have basically taken a ton of their talent directly from double A - never allowing the triple A team to have see all the true talent coming through the system. Toledo rarely has any good guys for any length of time. Plus, they have a new stadium to support.

So far this season, the Hens have gotten what they've been yelling for since they've been associated with the Tigers the second time around--- a winning team. They've spent some time in first place and are currently in second, 2 1/2 games behind first place Louisville. If that holds true all year, a competitive team, the Hens will stay with the Tigers, guaranteed.

I hope they do because I enjoy going to Mud Hen games. If they lose the Tigers affiliation, I will lose interest in the Mud Hens and stop going to the games without a doubt.