63 Tiger

Tigers acquire Jarrod Washburn for Luke French and minor leaguer

Uh huh.

Jurrjens = Robles makes about as much sense as French = Washburn, that is, no sense at all.

Jurrjens was ML ready when we dealt him. Robles is 3 years away from the bigs, at least. By then, are we even going to care?

Henning with the Debbie Downer column

Commentary: Losing Robles could be costly for Tigers | detnews.com | The Detroit News

Quote:

Commentary: Losing Robles could be costly for Tigers

Tigers fans should delight in the Jarrod Washburn trade.

For the next two months.

After that, prepare to take a long, anguished bite on a lead bullet, because Mauricio Robles has a chance at being for Seattle what Jair Jurrjens has been for the Atlanta Braves.

Robles, a left-hander, is that good.

Advertisement

Fans don't pay much attention to the minor leagues, particularly to the lower rungs, but they should -- and for this reason.

Robles is 20 years old. He was promoted earlier this year from Single A West Michigan to Single A Lakeland. That's a big step for a kid who can't yet buy a drink.

And yet he has flourished. He has 40 strikeouts in 35 innings and only 14 walks. He had a 4-2 record and a 3.60 earned-run average.

He would have been pitching next year at Double A Erie and probably a year or so later in Detroit, barring injury.

That's why the Mariners happily sent Washburn to Detroit rather than bite on any of the other drooling suitors who wanted to pry away Washburn for the remainder of this season (he becomes a free agent this autumn).

The Mariners wanted Robles. Luke French, the other pitcher the Tigers included in today's deal, is a solid, light-tossing finesse pitcher who has a role in the big leagues, probably in long relief.

But it was Robles that made today's deal possible. And it will be Robles that Tigers fans may dread having lost in the years ahead.

Hmmm.. hopefully he ends up being a bust.

I like this trade because french was not going to amount to anything and the tigers are not going to resign washburn. lets cross our fingers that we will make the playoffs now.

If Robles was as good as Jair Jurrjens a lot of teams other than Seattle would have wanted him.

But, I'm sure Lynn Henning is a better judge of talent than everyone else on earth. Then again, 35 inning sample sizes in A ball have never been wrong before, so Robles probably will be an amazing MLB pitcher.

The perspective of a Seattle Times writer, with 123 comments from M's fans on the article. Mariners Blog | Jarrod Washburn traded to Detroit for pitching prospect Luke French, other minor leaguer | Seattle Times Newspaper

Mariners general manager Jack Zduriencik played this one very well. He kept a lot of people thinking he was still going for it in 2009 and unwilling to deal Washburn. In the end, the Tigers gave up a pretty good arm. French is a 6-foot-4 lefthander.

Robles has 40 strikeouts in 35 innings pitched in High A ball for Lakeland of the Florida State League thus far. Prior to that, he had 71 whiffs in 56 1/3 innings in the Midwest League. So, that's a good start in his young pro career. At age 20, with an ability to miss bats, he might have helped push this deal to fruition. As I said, the M's did well today.

french.jpg

In a release put out by the team, Zduriencik said: "We had an opportunity to acquire two starting left handed pitchers under the age of 23, including one with major league experience. As we continue to build the Mariners organization, it is crucial that we acquire depth and quality. This deal is another step in that process.''

Washburn beat the Tigers and French, 2-1, back on July 23 in Detroit. French lasted 5 1/3 innings in that one, giving up a run.

This is an impressive haul. The thing to remember is that French was already pitching in the rotation of a contending team at age 23. He had a 2.98 ERA in Class AAA Toledo this season, with 72 strikeouts in 81 innings against 20 walks.

And the Mariners landed him for a pitcher whose contract was up in two months in a season already over playoff-wise for the Mariners. And they got a second young arm as well, which helps offset those three arms given up in the Pittsburgh deal.

French has attributed his season-long success to an improved slider. He doesn't throw very hard, but the slider has kept hitters off balance.

I don't think there's anything wrong with Henning's article.

I don't think he's wrong, either.

There are odds against Robles making it to MLB, and ending up as high-end as Henning thinks he could be... but the guy has a live arm, heat, talent, and could be a guy that makes the Mariners happy they traded for him. I see nothing wrong with what Henning wrote.

It's just that... I'll take that chance.

I'll take the chance that Washburn helps us into the playoffs - and beyond (meaning, hopefully, into the WS...) - this year.

I'll take the chance that we won't miss Robles because we'll (hopefully) have a JV-Edwin-Bondo-Crosby-Porcello rotation in two or three years and we won't be missing Robles at all.

I'll take the chance that we'll have Villareal, Turner, and others... that will replace Robles as high-end pitching prospects so that we won't... be missing him.

On the flipside, I hope French becomes a useful 5th starter for the M's, and Robles develops into an MLB pitcher that they're happy with as well...

Doesn't hurt US any. (Except they have to suck when they pitch against the Tigers... is all... :wink:).

Edited by 84 Lives!!!

There are odds against Robles making it to MLB, and ending up as high-end as Henning thinks he could be... but the guy has a live arm, heat, talent, and could be a guy that makes the Mariners happy they traded for him. I see nothing wrong with what Henning wrote.

I'll take the chance that Washburn helps us into the playoffs - and beyond (meaning, hopefully, into the WS...) - this year.

I'll take the chance that we won't miss Robles because we'll (hopefully) have a JV-Edwin-Bondo-Crosby-Porcello rotation in two or three years and we won't be missing Robles at all.

I'll take the chance that we'll have Villareal, Turner, and others... that will replace Robles as high-end pitching prospects so that we won't... be missing him.

On the flipside, I hope French becomes a useful 5th starter for the M's, and Robles develops into an MLB pitcher that they're happy with as well...

Doesn't hurt US any. (Except they have to suck when they pitch against the Tigers... is all... :wink:).

That's the key. It's really hard to imagine that the Tigers are gonna suffer long-term because of this deal.

I think Robles is a better prospect than some people in this thread are saying. He didn't get a lot of press at the beginning of the year but he is an emerging prospect with a good deal of upside. I'm more concerned about him coming back to haunt the Tigers than French. He's very young and raw though so he has a long way to go.

In other news, the Twins have just acquired Orlando Cabrera. So they went from Punto, who can field but can't hit, to Cabrera, who can't field and can't hit.

I so glad they decided to fight instead of just staying put and hoping. DD is a good GM and I'm damn glad he is with the Tigers.

I don't think anyone's saying Henning is wrong.

I'm more concerned with the fact that he just basically had the trade, one in which made the Tigers better, take a backseat and then proceeded to say how it was a mistake because of a single-a prospect, and that Tigers fans shouldn't be excited.

I think Robles is a better prospect than some people in this thread are saying. He didn't get a lot of press at the beginning of the year but he is an emerging prospect with a good deal of upside. I'm more concerned about him coming back to haunt the Tigers than French. He's very young and raw though so he has a long way to go.

I think so too. But you have to give up something to get something back. You are not going to fleece a team in a trade when there are other teams are chomping at the bit to land him. Considering this is a seller's market I think we did well.

The only (small) concern I have with this is that I think the Yankees or Sox will end up with Halladay now. But regardless, I the trade was a perfect move to solidify our chances of making the big dance.

Although i am elated with the news of this trade, i will miss Robles as a prospect. I think he was second best to only Crosby amongst our prospects.

I'll also shed a tear for DaYooper...i think its his second consecutive AAT traded...with Moscoso traded to Texas for Laird. I dont even know what happened to my AAT. :paranoid:

I smell October....

Nice to add a tough lefty to go against all those Twin LH hitters: Mauer, Morneau, Span and Kubel. We face them 9 more times.

As Oblong wrote earlier, Robles is the type of prospect every decent franchise should have a few of, and they are hardly the type you lose sleep over dealing, assuming you're getting something immediately valuable in return and are in the position the Tigers are in.

And for what it's worth, Robles is projected by many scouts to end up in the bullpen (I don't know if this how the Tigers saw him), primarily because of his size.

Plus, they drafted a ton of starting pitchers in the early rounds this year to help replenish the system.

Frankly, unless the guy is a Porcello I never lose sleep over trading pitchers below AA ball. Their paths are so darn unpredictable that not trading them for something you can really use is probably silly.

Sorry if I missed this, but does anyone know when Washburn was due to pitch again for the M's or when he'll be slotted with Detroit?

12:22pm: SI's Jon Heyman says the Tigers and Red Sox were among the teams inquiring on King Felix.

What the hell, DD?

Sorry if I missed this, but does anyone know when Washburn was due to pitch again for the M's or when he'll be slotted with Detroit?

Tuesday

12:22pm: SI's Jon Heyman says the Tigers and Red Sox were among the teams inquiring on King Felix.

What the hell, DD?

Great inquiry.

Great inquiry.

I agree completely, but I don't know how he thought there was any chance this was happening even if we offered what the Jays wanted from us for Halladay. It's worth trying I guess.

Wow....I think Seattle overvalued French.

I mean he looked decent in every start but the last one but he got hammered in his last start. The league just isn't used to him yet.

Is Washburn just for this year?

FWIW, Micro had French at 18 and Robles at 12 in his midseason top 50 rankings. Robles did very well at WM, but has been spotty at Lakeland, which you would expect from a 20 year old in high A for the first time.

The comparison between Jurrjens situation and Robles is bogus. Jurrjens was dominant in AA before being called up, and was successful in his September callup with the Tigers before being traded. The only knock on him was durability. Atlanta decided he was worth the injury risk, and their gamble has paid off handsomely.

The Tigers have several 20 year old prospects, as in Crosby, Hamilton, and Hoffman. Maybe Robles will be better than they will be, or maybe not. Who knows at this point, but I think the deal was worth making.

This is an impressive haul. The thing to remember is that French was already pitching in the rotation of a contending team at age 23. He had a 2.98 ERA in Class AAA Toledo this season, with 72 strikeouts in 81 innings against 20 walks.

Right and Ryan Raburn consistently hits .320 with 20 homers at triple A. Every major league player should be a stud in triple A.