63 Tiger

Tigers acquire Jarrod Washburn for Luke French and minor leaguer

I'm indifferent about the trade.

Washburn is good, but French was pitching more than adequately. If French were 0-2 with a 6 ERA right now, I'd be ecstatic about this trade...but eh. We'll see how it goes.

I think we'd offer Washburn arbitration. Even if he gets a large arby deal for 1 year, he'll get more total dollars testing the FA market and getting a long-term deal. Remember, his agent is Scott Boras. Does he sound like the kind of guy who likes taking FAs to arbitration?

Ed Price (ed_price) on Twitter

Source: #Tigers would like to add a hitter too.

Also from Price...

# Washburn's road ERA is 3.05, so it's not just Safeco. And going to a pitchers' park, so 0.57 groundball/flyball ratio won't hurt. #Tigers7 minutes ago from TweetDeck

#

#Tigers now have 3 of top 7 in AL ERA: Jackson 2nd, Washburn 3rd, Verlander 7th

Washburn is good, but French was pitching more than adequately. If French were 0-2 with a 6 ERA right now, I'd be ecstatic about this trade...but eh. We'll see how it goes.

While the potential dollars Washburn may get in arbitration are concerning, I still think the Tigers might offer him arbitration. There seems to be a general thought that Washburn really likes Seattle and will try to resign with the Mariners in the offseason. If this is true, he might reject the arbitration and the Tigers take the supplemental pick.

if he was 0-2 with a 6 ERA this trade does not happen

Dave Cameron being a pompous *** and a Mariners homer? Haha, no way!

The last time Cameron hated a Tigers trade, we picked up a cheap all-star.

I swear, the guy treats FIP like it's the most infallible piece of baseball information ever devised.

I think we'd offer Washburn arbitration. Even if he gets a large arby deal for 1 year, he'll get more total dollars testing the FA market and getting a long-term deal. Remember, his agent is Scott Boras. Does he sound like the kind of guy who likes taking FAs to arbitration?

Yes, especially 35 year old pitchers.

Im like in the twilight zone haha.

Anyhow, can't wait to watch him pitch Tuesday! And Adam Dunn.

What's with the disappearing threads? Three-thread monty? Were the other ones too favorable towards Dombrowski and the deal that they had to be removed in the interests of the preservation of MTS's cherished negativity?

Why does this thread keep getting moved?

I'm not sure. I've moved it again.

How old is he? ESPN has him at 34 and this article has him at 31. He isn't Dominican, so what gives?

According to the Mariners' website he'll be 35 on August 13. He also has 5 straight starts of 1 earned run or less, with the shortest being 6 and two/thirds. So the bullpen should be happy to see him.

Guys like French and Robles should be players that any decent org turns out on a regular basis. So when you find yourself in first place and it's August and you have obvious holes, you use those to fill them.

Just what I was thinking. Every decent organization has guys like this. This move is a hedge against a late season rotation implosion, which we've seem all too often the last few years. It doesn't mean it won't happen, but checking Washburn's career numbers he's pretty consistent, posting a league average OPS against in August and September. And he really doesn't walk too many. Definitely needs a good defense behind him.

I think this means the Tigers are going for it and will get a hitter. Otherwise why bother with this deal?

Yeah, he seems to think Washburn = French. I'm not buying that bill o' goods one bit.

Not in 2009 for sure. It wouldn't surprise me if French eventually developed into a ERA+ 95 type guy though, which is really all Washburn is. But I think that might be a couple years down the road though, if at all.

I think this means the Tigers are going for it and will get a hitter. Otherwise why bother with this deal?

Agreed. DD is in full "Get it done" mode.

Sounds like a good deal to me. I'll worry about Washburn's future as a Tiger once this season is done.

Now, let's hope the Tigers pick up a bat before the day is done.

It's also cool that the Tigers have a player with the same birthday as me. I think the last one I could say that about was a cup-of-coffee reliever named Eddie Gaillard.

Not in 2009 for sure. It wouldn't surprise me if French eventually developed into a ERA+ 95 type guy though, which is really all Washburn is. But I think that might be a couple years down the road though, if at all.

He says it is 50/50 which pitcher (French or Washburn) pitches better down the stretch.

Sure. But in 3 years, are we really going to be sitting around thinking "Man I really wish we still had Luke French around!! Where oh where can we get a lefty finesse 4th starter?!?!?!"

In 3 years we're still going to have Jackson, Verlander, and Porcello and Galarraga will probably still be pitching like a 4th starter. Certainly aren't going to see the organization crippled because of this move.

I swear, the guy treats FIP like it's the most infallible piece of baseball information ever devised.

Luke French xFIP: 5.52

Washburn: 4.65

Ignoring sample size, track record, and the near full run difference they're basically the same guy!

Agreed. DD is in full "Get it done" mode.

mlbtraderumors.com has a link saying that D is talking to Baltimore about Scott.

If this trade never happened and you started a thread that said, "Hey, French is really good -- I think he'll be an ERA+ 95 guy in a couple of years," you get a serious load of (uh) carp for it.

There is nothing wrong with using FIP.

However, I do not understand how he can turn around think French is just as good as Washburn. Luke French's xFIP is 5.52. He also has 29 IP in the majors.