63 Tiger

Tigers acquire Jarrod Washburn for Luke French and minor leaguer

Wow, the M's really seem to have undersold. Absolutely love the deal for the Tigers, obviously. Great, great job DD.

Jarrod Washburn

Jarrod Washburn-S- Mariners Jul. 31 - 11:36 am et

According to MLB.com's Noah Coslov, the Tigers have acquired Jarrod Washburn from the Mariners for LHPs Luke French and Mauricio Robles.

And with that, we have our first major trade of the day. Washburn, a left-handed workhorse, will shore up the Tigers' starting rotation with his 2.64 ERA and 1.07 WHIP. French, 23, has enjoyed some success in the majors this season, posting a 3.38 ERA in seven appearances (five starts), but still has work to do before he can be considered a promising young starter. Robles also has a lot to work on, but the 20-year-old has age on his side. He's 8-6 in the minors this season with a 4.24 ERA and 111 strikeouts in 91 1/3 innings. It's not a great haul for the M's.

Source: Noah Coslov on Twitter

Related: Tigers

This is one of the trades I was hoping for. A solid #3 or #4 SP to eat up some innings and give our BP rest. Now we can go after a bat but not give up the farm to get one. A corner OF with either some pop in his bat or the speed to bat leadoff. It may come down to the wire. If no other Central team acquires pitching, I think the Tigers may have enough right now to win the Central, for the very first time!

Nice low risk trade. French certainly made himself an intriguing prospect this year and Robles had promise, but I just can't imagine we'll be regretting this one later.

And the M's were smart to move Washburn, especially because they can re-sign him for next year. For the last week or so that's been all the talk here about Washburn. His family lives in Seattle and he loves it and yada yada. He seems sincere about it. So the M's could end up adding some pitching depth and keeping Washburn next year.

Remember when we traded Ben Oglive to the Brewers for Jim Slaton, who turned around and signed with the Brewers the next year. Now that was a painful trade, because Oglive was very good for the Brewers and Slaton was a solid mid rotation guy for a few years.

I have been primarily clamoring for Adam Dunn (still am), but this is a fantastic trade. Washburn is exactly who this team needed for the rotation. They didn't breal the bank for him and still have the pieces to allow another trade for a bat. All the credit in the world to DD for getting this done.

Considering French might be a #3-5 starter down the line, it's a good move for a playoff push.

With Porcello and himself on limited pitch counts, they could use someone to consume more innings.

Still could use a bat somewhere...unless, as I have predicted, Dombrowski considers Guillen his bat.

I expect a scathing article on fangraphs from Dave Cameron.

He says on his ussmariner site that French is just as good as Washburn today, and Robles is the second coming. Or something like that.

Yeah, not really a "long term" type guy.

On the other hand, Moyer and Rogers arguably peaked (or platteau'ed in their late thirties (if not early forties). Maybe Jarrod is a Crafty Lefty.

The thing that isn't clear to me is - why is Washburn a better fit for the Tigers than for the Mariners? Both teams are weak-hitting, good defense teams who play in large home parks. Both teams have similar records. The only real difference is that the Tigers are a couple of games in first while the Mariners trail the Angels and Rangers. But they aren't out of the race by any means.

the guys on the MLB network trade deadline show love this deal for the Tigers

Good deal, need to give to get. Robles was hard to give up, but Washburn will bring two picks in FA. Plus the Tigers have Crsoby and other LH starting pitching depth.

French threw well, he is ridiculoulsy hittable.

We acquired a pitcher who is capable of winning a playoff game, thats a plus.

GREAT trade for low cost to the orgainzation........

I don't think Luke French will ever be John Smoltz, so, this should work long term....at BEST, French could become Jarrod Washburn (which is NOT bad)

Considering French might be a #3-5 starter down the line, it's a good move for a playoff push.

With Porcello and himself on limited pitch counts, they could use someone to consume more innings.

Still could use a bat somewhere...unless, as I have predicted, Dombrowski considers Guillen his bat.

French is of no consequence in this deal. He's nowhere near a #3 starter, he's most likely organizational fodder. He's had a nice year, and a couple of starts, but I doubt he'll have more success against teams he's already seen. This deal is Robles for Washburn.

The Tigers bolstered their rotattion today by acquiring Jarrod Washburn from the Mariners. The Tigers give up Luke French and Mauricio Robles. I’ll have more on this later (I’m at the zoo with the family and I want to keep Mrs Billfer happy) but I love this move for the Tigers (and the Mariners). I [...]

More...

GREAT trade for low cost to the orgainzation........

I don't think Luke French will ever be John Smoltz, so, this should work long term....at BEST, French could become Jarrod Washburn (which is NOT bad)

At Washburn's best, he is Kenny Rogers (when Kenny was good) !

I can't wait for this thread to be brought up in 22 years when Robles is getting inducted into the HOF.

I'll post on that thread 22 years from now defending the trade because I'll remind people that Washburn went 9-0 down the stretch for the Tigers as they won the division.

Edited by lordstanley

Boy does Dave Dombrowski know how to perform voodoo on the Mariners. Definitely reminiscent of the Guillen trade. If he can be our new Kenny Rogers for a few years potentially, its just beautiful...