63 Tiger

Tigers acquire Jarrod Washburn for Luke French and minor leaguer

I like Robles' arm, and I like Luke French's moxie, but this is a great deal. Robles is a long way from the bigs, and he's still very raw. French could definitely stick in the majors (especially in Seattle, he's perfect for that team), but he's not a guy you're gonna look at 4 years down the road and think "man we really shouldn't have let him go"

This gives us the potential to have the best overall starting rotation in the division which should be enough to win the division even it they don't get another bat. The difference between runs give up by Washburn vs French will probably be more than the improvement of any one bat that is still available for the same price.

Sorry about the type A thing, I was simply going off of what mlb.com's trade deadline show said. Also, does anyone know what Washburn's FIP is this year?

This is the kind of traded we needed to make. We are in 1st place by a few hairs and we had to do something to try to stay there. And while I do think we gave up a bit to get Washburn, we still kept our prospect pipeline mostly intact. Certainly it wasn't a system gutting trade. Very nice move by DD, even if French and Robles turn into good major leaguers.

As far as a Washburn extension, I'd consider extending him to 2011, but not any further than that. He's a feel guy so he'll probably last longer than your average pitcher, but there's no need for a long term deal. If you can't get that done, offer Arby, get your draft pick, move on.

Wow... great deal. Not a steal or anything but we didn't give up very much at all. I really can't see this ending up being a trade we'll regret.

Sweet. As noted a few minutes ago (before this thread): we get a mid-thirties crafty leftie having a career year (3 ER in 35 IP over last five starts) and give up a rotation filler and a guy who hasn't been above A-ball (who may yet, admittedly, be very good).

Surprised it happened, and surprised there wasn't a relief pitcher (Fien, Green, Weinhardt, Jacobsen) in the mix as well.

I'm stoked, he's the only fantasy player that I have had this year that hasn't been a bust or spent serious DL time like Jose Reyes, Valds, Kazmir, Hammel..

Nice pickup indeed.

What happened to the other thread?

And Washburn's FIP is 3.75, so he's been getting a little lucky, but he's still pitching some of the best baseball of his career.