63 Tiger

Tigers acquire Jarrod Washburn for Luke French and minor leaguer

French and Robles seems like a fair deal, can't say I'm delighted about trading French because it means Porcello is staying in the rotation, but it's not like he was a high ceiling guy.

Just heard this on The Herd. If it's French & Larish/Robles I'm good with that.

Robles Biography:

Acquired: Signed by Detroit Tigers, April 1, 2006

Transactions/Options: 3 Options Remaining

Awards: Runner-up TigsTown West Michigan Pitcher of the Month - July 2008

Highlights: Tied for 7th in Midwest League in walks (54) in 2008.... Tied for 2nd in VSL in losses (6) in 2007.... Tied for 5th in VSL in games started (14) in 2007.... Ranked 3rd in VSL in strikeouts (83) in 2007.

Scouting Report: Above-average fastball for lefty but lacks command, with above-average curve, and rough change-up.

Anyone know of Robles?

This is a good deal IF we can sign Washburn long term.

He's got really good stuff, and has been good in Lakeland, and great in WMi.

Tigers acquire Washburn from Mariners

Posted by Jason Beck on 07-31-2009 09:19 AM.

The Tigers filled their need for starting pitching on Friday with a veteran left-hander on a roll, acquiring Jarrod Washburn from Seattle in exchange for left-handers Luke French and Mauricio Robles.

More...

I believe he's a Type B free agent after this year, which is ok. The Tigers will likely offer arbitration.

The MLB trade deadline show said he's likely to be a type A, if that's true, this deal is amazing.

The back end of our rotation an hour ago was Galarraga, Porcello and French.

Now it's Washburn, Galarraga, Porcello.

That's a massive upgrade. Massive.

French and Robles

If it is this, the joke just might be on the M's. I have a feeling we've seen French's ceiling, and Robles -- well, he may be good, but he's not been above A-ball, right?

Love it.

Wow. For all the criticism DD gets, he's a hell of a GM. Good job, "Dumbrowski"!!!!!

This is a good deal IF we can sign Washburn long term.

There is no way we will look to sign Washburn long term. But hopefully they offer him arbitration this winter, if he maintains his Type B status.

I am not worried about French...not great stuff and Robles is a good prospect with big league stuff, but he is raw and very short for a pitcher. This deal does not seem too bad.

FOr those of you who don't know... Washburn is sporting a 2.64 ERA and 1.07 WHIP this season. I am so happy with this trade.

The MLB trade deadline show said he's likely to be a type A, if that's true, this deal is amazing.

No, he is a Type B. And he's a fairly low Type B. A poor stint with the Tigers could find himself below that...

Besides Type B is preferable in this economy, as teams are not looking to give up their 1st or 2nd round pick.

I would prefer that he stays type B. If he is type A, he might be more likely to accept arbitration because type As had a tough time getting deals last offseason.

I can't wait for this thread to be brought up in 22 years when Robles is getting inducted into the HOF.

Washburn has a .243 BABIP, he's certainly not as good as he seems this year...but kind of like Edwin Jackson (not as good!) even if he regresses he should still be a useful pitcher.

Washburn over his last five starts: 3 ER in 36.2 innings.

Let's hope that's who he is for the rest of the year, and not the guy who lost 29 games in '07 and '08.

There is a trend for lefty pitchers improving with age: think Rogers and Moyer (not to mention Big Unit, although he's a different animal).