Sign in to follow this  
KleShreen

Zumaya tidbit

per Beck's twitter:

"Zumaya to see Dr. Andrews. Not sure how serious yet. Had Doc look over tests last week."

Zumaya has a human being, not a ball player, needs to decide if he wants to continue a potential 5 year prolonging to his career at 1/2 season rates with potential bi-annual surgeries.

As time passes by, it looks more and more like Zumaya's days as an effective reliever ended in 2006. Very sad.

Zumaya needs to learn how to pitch. The art of pitching comprises far more than merely trying to throw the ball through the catcher. He has an excellent curveball, but commands it poorly. If he were to take a little bit off his fastball and work on commanding the curve, he would be one of the most dominant relievers in baseball again. He doesn't need to throw 100 mph all the time - it's predictable enough for hitters to catch up, and it's terrible for his shoulder. With a decent offspeed repertoire, hitters will never catch up to his "diminished" 97 mph fastball, especially if taking a little bit off of it allows him to locate more precisely.

Here is a news release the Detroit Tigers just sent out. More on this story to come from freep.com:

Advertisement

Joel Zumaya was examined by Dr. James Andrews today in Pensacola, FL. He received a second cortisone injection to calm the inflammation in his right shoulder and he has been scheduled to undergo surgery on his shoulder in the middle of August. At that time, he will undergo a procedure to remove the non-union stress fracture of the coracoid process.

Tigers' Joel Zumaya will have shoulder surgery | Freep.com | Detroit Free Press

Good news, they need to finally just get everything taken care of, and let him take as much time as he needs to recover. I'd rather Zumaya didn't pitch again until 2011 if it meant he's as healthy as he possibly can be.

Well, I think the good thing is that he was able to throw 100 mph after coming back from the previous surgery. Hopefully he can come back strong from this one, which sounds like a less serious surgery than the previous one.

Damn! I wish him the best. Its been a long series of setbacks for this young guy.

Makes one wonder what the human skeletal structure can withstand. Can someone seriously make a long term career throwing 98+ on virtually every pitch.... with the more-than-occasional 101 and 102????? I can't imagine the psi going on in that shoulder.

Zumaya has a human being, not a ball player, needs to decide if he wants to continue a potential 5 year prolonging to his career at 1/2 season rates with potential bi-annual surgeries.

I...think I know what you're saying?