jake

A great week

Ledezma throw's 12 scoreless innings. Roney goes toe to toe with Martinez. Bonderman throws a great game.

That's a tremendous big 3 for the future.

And as we all know, great teams are built around pitching.

If you care, Inge had a decent week too. His OPS jumped from the .500 range to above .700.

He still sucks either way, and Petrick is now our catcher of the future (for now).

I had Meluskey forever (my fav player last year), Munson just recently (my fav player since we gave Rivesky away) and so I figured I'd go for the irony of it.

Originally posted by Thoma

How can Meluskey have been your favorite player? He never PLAYED!:dead:

Thoma, how can you say Halter is your fav player? He rarely "plays" baseball ;-)

Jake, although I don't agree that good teams are built around pitching more than hitting, I do agree that the Tigers had a great week and that their pitching looks good. The Tigers definitely have some talented young pitchers. Now, we all know that pitching is very delicate but if if if if if a couple of these guys come through big time, the Tigers can be on their way back to respectability a little quicker than most of us fear.

And as we all know, great teams are built around pitching.

Yep. And baseball is 75% pitching and defense and 25% hitting.

I notice Atlanta is middle of the pack in pitching this year, but still has the best record in the NL. Weird. I also notice that of the top three pitching teams in the NL, only one will be going to the playoffs this year if the season ended today (of course, only one of the top three hitting teams will be going).

Anyway, if Roney and Ledezma can hold up under the stress of starting, I do like a rotation that includes those two, Bonderman and Maroth as the #4 guy. Health is going to be a big issue for thsoe three given their ages and their histories though, so I hope the Tigers continue to be carefull with them next year.

It seems like Bonderman, Ledezma, and Roney all have pretty clean deliveries (obviously I don't know for sure and it's just what I see watching them). Hopefully they all stay healthy and can continue to show their promise.

Originally posted by qsilvr2531

Yep. And baseball is 75% pitching and defense and 25% hitting.

I notice Atlanta is middle of the pack in pitching this year, but still has the best record in the NL. Weird.

Myself being a huge Braves fan (Dale Murphy forever!), I think the Braves pitching staff is actually better than is relfected by their statistics. Their offense has been so powerful that I believe their pitching staff is somewhat "taking it easy".

Just last year (and too many before) Braves pitchers tried too hard to keep their team in the game with perfect pitching. Now, they know they have a safety net because their lineup can score on almost any opposing pitcher. That takes a lot of stress off a pitching staff.

Look at the Dodgers and how their lack of offense is killing them. Does anyone believe those pitchers are going to keep up that type of production through August and September? It's the same thing that has killed Atlanta nearly every year for the last decade -- the pitchers have little left to elevate their game come playoffs because they over-exerted themselves to get through the season.

With the big offense in place, I like Atlanta's odds in this postseason. It's the first time I've been able to say that for a while.

Back to the original topic - it was an AWESOME week for the Tigers.

I certainly enjoyed it even if they lost the game I did go to (Saturday's game).

Me and my darned rambling got us off the topic again...

Yes, indeed, it was a good week for the Tigers. It's sad that it's the All-Star break and there has only been one or two "good" weeks for Tiger fans to hold on to.

And even then this week was full of losses.

QS, the season isn't over. What about the AL?? Why isn't Boston in 1st place?? The answer. That meaningless to a team bullpen of theirs. Funny how they acquired Kim and put him in the bullpen.

How are those Mariners doing with their team that's built around pitching and defense? Their pitching isn't even that great but when you have an outfield of Winn, Cameron, and Ichiro any ball that stays in the park is an out.

Their pitching isn't great? When Freddy Garcia is your fifth best starter, I'd say it's pretty damn close. Nelson, Rhodes, and Sasaki aren't too shabby down in the pen either.

Beckmann was complaining that Boston pitching was horrible and thats why they werent in 1st place so I looked at team ERA...they are almost exactly the same ERA as Detroit which isnt bad.