Sports_Freak

Are the White Sox the real threat?

I believe the White Sox were officially eliminated tonight. The Tigers magic number over Chicago is 1. Minnesota's magic number over Chicago is 4. If the Tigers don't get even that 1 they need, it means that Minnesota swept them to get the 4 they need.

I'll be sure to watch the Sox broadcast as the game opens up Friday. I want to HEAR Hawk actually SAY the words himself. ....I know it's a perverse pleasure.... but nonetheless... this guy has been sticking it to the Tigers over the entire year.... and I want to be listening when he FINALLY says the ChiSox are officially eliminated this year.

Insufferable buffoon that he is !!!!

Edited by Clancy

...and I want to be listening when he FINALLY says the ChiSox are officially eliminated this year.

Watch him conveniently forget to mention it! Either that or he'll let his partner in the booth do it.

I believe the White Sox were officially eliminated tonight. The Tigers magic number over Chicago is 1. Minnesota's magic number over Chicago is 4. If the Tigers don't get even that 1 they need, it means that Minnesota swept them to get the 4 they need.

I'm not sure how the Sox were eliminated, but there is still a magic number for them?

The way I see it, the next Tiger win, or next Sox loss, will eliminate them. Otherwise, in a win-out situation for the Sox, along with a lose-out situation for the Tigers, results in a tied record. Highly unlikely, but technically I don't see how they are eliminated yet.

I'm not sure how the Sox were eliminated, but there is still a magic number for them?

The way I see it, the next Tiger win, or next Sox loss, will eliminate them. Otherwise, in a win-out situation for the Sox, along with a lose-out situation for the Tigers, results in a tied record. Highly unlikely, but technically I don't see how they are eliminated yet.

They still have a magic number because those figures do not take into account that the Tigers and Twins play each other 4 times. If the Tigers lose all of their remaining games and the Sox win all of their remaining games, then they will both finish 82-80. However that means the Twins would have won at least 4 games because they play the Tigers and for the Tigers to lose all their games that means MN gets at least 83 wins, ahead of both the Tigers and Sox. So it's not possiblef or the Sox to finish in 1st place at this point in the season.

What Lord Stanley is saying is if we win 1 game, we eliminate the Sox. If we lose out it means MN wins at least 4 games in which case they eliminate the Sox. Either way, the Sox are eliminated.

The Sox are already eliminated because it's not possible for them to finish in first place.

What Lord Stanley is saying is if we win 1 game, we eliminate the Sox. If we lose out it means MN wins at least 4 games in which case they eliminate the Sox. Either way, the Sox are eliminated.

Right, the White Sox could still "catch the Tigers" if they win the rest of their games and the Tigers lose all of theirs. But if so, the White Sox and Tigers would end up tied for second place. The Twins would have passed both of them by virtue of sweeping their 4-game series with the Tigers.

The Twins are horrible on the road. They are 17-24. After the All-Star break, the Twins have 23 out of 35 on the road.

The White Sox are decent on the road. They're 22-20. And after the break? They play 22 out of 35 at home.

Meanwhile, the Tigers are 21-26 on the road. They play 20 out of 35 at home after the break.

But this is the kicker; everyone thinks the Twins are SO great at home? Well, the Tigers are better. We're 24-12 at home, the Twins are 26-17 and the Sox are 21-20.

For the 35 games after the break I think the Tigers have an advantage over both the Twins and Sox. The Twins could easily find themselves out of the race after that 35 game stretch. So I think it will come down to the Sox and Tigers, with the Tigers coming out on top!

Boy, this post sure worked out well for you. :laugh:

Nice job.

Nice job.

Even twerps and yokels from Minneapolis are able to act like big men via the Internet.

Man, the way the WSox have looked against the Tigers in these two games, you'd think it was Chicago that was fighting for the division crown. They're doing a hell of a job as the spoiler.

Man, the way the WSox have looked against the Tigers in these two games, you'd think it was Chicago that was fighting for the division crown. They're doing a hell of a job as the spoiler.

And good for Ozzie for arranging for Peavy to pitch Friday. I know as Tiger fans we don't like that, but that's like complaining about teams bunting to break up a no-hitter.

And good for Ozzie for arranging for Peavy to pitch Friday. I know as Tiger fans we don't like that, but that's like complaining about teams bunting to break up a no-hitter.

I'd rather they face adversity than to have teams lay down for them. Losing builds character. Unfortunately this team doesn't seem to be building anything but more losing.

Didn't a rainout have something to do with that?

If not, it was definitely a shrewd move on Ozzie's part.

Didn't a rainout have something to do with that?

If not, it was definitely a shrewd move on Ozzie's part.

He was originally going to pitch game 2 on Wednesday but Buerhle talked Ozzie into letting him pitch that game.

Edited by whitesox901

the sox actually have great pitching. #2 in ERA, #1 in Quality starts. Their offense blows major balls though.

:hurt: Those wounds just healed.

This season had potential, but Colon, Contreras sucking didn't help, plus their suckness also caused the bullpen to over work, and as you said, the offense blows.

Edited by whitesox901

:hurt: Those wounds just healed.

This season had potential, but Colon, Contreras sucking didn't help, plus their suckness also caused the bullpen to over work, and as you said, the offense blows.

yeah blame it on colon but your wack a** GM traded away Clayton Richard for a banged up Peavy. When that trade went down, you gave up on this season. Thanks by the way suckers!

Nice job.

I see you bumped a thread from JULY 8th!

I DIDN'T see you arguing this at the time.

Typical TROLL.

I see you bumped a thread from JULY 8th!

I DIDN'T see you arguing this at the time.

Typical TROLL.

Because someone tattle tailed like a 4th grader and I was banned until 7 pm tonight. Nice board you guys have here, banned for bumping a couple threads which contained stupid predictions.

Apparently the posters on this board have as much quit in them as the team they follow. LOL