Sign in to follow this  
Vonlenska

Jiri Hudler apparently signs with Moscow Dynamo

BTW I'm hoping for this to be FALSE. Losing Hossa, Samuellson, Hudler, and Kopecky is a whole lot of forward depth for the Wings to recover from.

You already know my thoughts on Sammy. Kopecky was going to lose ice time because he didn't put out the effort Babs was looking for. Signing Hossa was a pipe dream. The only player that hurts to lose of these four is Hudler, and i'm really interested to see a real news story on this. Also, Huds is an RFA, but I don't know if that matters outside the NHL?

I know, this one is the stinger if true. I wasn't too upset about losing anyone up until Hudler. Kenny might need to go looking for a veteran forward ASAP.

I know, this one is the stinger if true. I wasn't too upset about losing anyone up until Hudler. Kenny might need to go looking for a veteran forward ASAP.

The thing is, guys like Sammy and Kopecky and Hudler benefit in the open market from having won a Cup with the Wings. The halo effect bumps up their market value again. These guys can be replaced. Who isn't confident that Holland can find someone else for $2mm who with the Wings would produce as much as Hudler. If Hudler wants to go, go. But if he does, he's an idiot. The KHL is not even the WHA level, it's for players at the tail end of their careers or just starting out. For him to leave the NHL while entering his prime is extremely short-sighted. If these reports are true.

Reports: Hudler signs contract with KHL team

The offseason became a lot more challenging for the Detroit Red Wings on Wednesday, as reports out the Czech Republic indicate that restricted free agent forward Jiri Hudler has agreed to a one-year, $2 million contract with Dynamo Moscow of the Kontinental Hockey League.

Hudler, 25, was one of 20 players who filed for salary arbitration on Sunday.

Hudler and the Red Wings were in the process of negotiating a contract before the hearing took place between July 20 and August 4. By filing for arbitration, Hudler could not receive an offer sheet from another team.

Hudler earned $1.15 million last season while posting career-highs of 23 goals and 57 points.

The Red Wings - who won the Stanley Cup in 2008 and went the full seven games in the final last month before bowing out to Pittsburgh - have already lost a good number of players off last season's roster, including forwards Marian Hossa, Mikael Samuelsson and Tomas Kopecky and backup goaltender Ty Conklin.

I can think of many other things besides dissapointment to describe this situation. Filthy, angry words.

wow.... just, wow.

who is still available in the 1.5-3mil range ? or will Holland just pencil in Abdelkader and roll with what they have? what an interesting off season.

This offseason sucks.

we went from

Hossa - Datsyuk - Holmstrom

Franzen - Zetterberg - Cleary

Samuelsson - Hudler - Filpulla

Maltby - Draper - Helm?

to

Zetterberg - Datsyuk - Holmstrom

Filppula - Franzen - Cleary

Leino - Helm - ?

Maltby - Draper - ?

certainly not bad but a definite loss in quality.

Is this a contingency in case he doesn't get what he wants from the Wings, or is this final?

If so, I would expect Michael Peca to be a Red Wing next year....

I heard Alex Tanguay is UFA. I always thought he was a hard nosed forward capable of putting up some numbers.

Edit: A couple other forwards are Saku Koivu, Petr Sykora, and P.J. Axelsson.

A list of top 100 UFAs, the vast majority have already signed for 2009-10 ....

http://www.fromtherink.com/2009/6/30/930907/the-top-100-unrestricted-free

Edited by skyguy52

This looks like it's a done deal. Damn.

Jiri Hudler agrees to contract with Russian team, Red Wings believe he might be gone - Detroit Red Wings Hockey: News, Blogs, Photos, Audio, Schedule & Stats - MLive.com

Red Wings general manager Ken Holland said there's a real possibility that forward Jiri Hudler will play in Russia next season if he accepts an offer from Moscow Dynamo of the Kontinental Hockey League.

Reports out of the Czech Republic indicate Hudler has signed a two-year deal with Dynamo. There is some uncertainty, however, if this is his just his Plan B if he is not satisfied with whatever deal he gets from the Wings.

"It's a real possibility he's going to take this (Russian) offer,'' Holland said. "He'd be taking a lot less money to stay in the NHL.''

What's confusing is that Hudler filed for arbitration on Sunday, indicating a strong desire to get a deal done with Detroit.

Holland said he not yet heard back from Hudler's North American agent, Petr Svoboda, but that if reports that Hudler had signed the Russian deal are true he would "go on the assumption that he's gone.''

Holland said Svoboda told him on Monday of the Russian offer. Holland and coach Mike Babcock spoke with Hudler on Tuesday. Holland said Hudler gave him no indication about what he was going to do.

The Wings have a long-term offer on the table to Hudler, who earned $1.15 million last season. Svoboda told Holland the Wings' offer was a good one. But it can't come close to matching Dynamo's offer, which is worth significantly more than the $2 million a year TSN is reporting. Plus, it's tax-free and heavily front-loaded.

Hudler apparently is torn and confused. He wants to stay in Detroit, but the Russian offer is a lot of money to turn down.

"I'm assuming as recently as Sunday Jiri thought he was coming back to Detroit,'' Holland said. "That's why he filed for arbitration.''

If Hudler is gone, Holland said he'll have a little cap space -- about $1.5 million, depending on whom they elect to keep on the roster -- to sign a free-agent forward, but that he won't rush into anything.

If Hudler is gone, Holland said he'll have a little cap space -- about $1.5 million, depending on whom they elect to keep on the roster -- to sign a free-agent forward, but that he won't rush into anything.

we lose all these guys and only have about $1.5 mil in cap space? how in hades were we suppose to sign Hossa? how are we suppose to keep anyone? I remember months ago that we would sign Hossa after Franzen, but then lose Hudler..this off season is looking awful now..

we lose all these guys and only have about $1.5 mil in cap space? how in hades were we suppose to sign Hossa? how are we suppose to keep anyone? I remember months ago that we would sign Hossa after Franzen, but then lose Hudler..this off season is looking awful now..

No it isn't. The Wings have plenty of guys that were down in GR that would have been playing on most other NHL teams - some of them would have been on the 2nd line on some teams. They'll be up with the Wings now. Guys like Leino, Abdelkader, Helm, Emerton, Ritola, Pare. They'll be fine.

No it isn't. The Wings have plenty of guys that were down in GR that would have been playing on most other NHL teams - some of them would have been on the 2nd line on some teams. They'll be up with the Wings now. Guys like Leino, Abdelkader, Helm, Emerton, Ritola, Pare. They'll be fine.

I wouldn't go that far.

I wouldn't go that far.

They lost Hossa and can't replace him. But they won the Cup before they had him.

Leino is equal to or even better than Hudler.

Abdelkader is better than Kopecky.

Helm is better than Samuelsson.

The other guys are very young, but they'll be able to play if there are injuries. And you know Holland is going to sign another NHL-experienced forward.

The team just got younger quickly. I am not worried at all about the upcoming season.

They lost Hossa and can't replace him. But they won the Cup before they had him.

The other guys are very young, but they'll be able to play if there are injuries. And you know Holland is going to sign another NHL-experienced forward.

The team just got younger quickly. I am not worried at all about the upcoming season.

If Leino was equal to or better than Hudler he would have already been up in Detroit crafting his trade. You can rationalize a loss of Hudler but don't say Leino is equal to or better than Hudler because that's an insult to Hudler who did get 57 points this year.

I can buy Abdelkader possibly but I don't think Helm is better than Samuelsson. Helm has been very good in the playoffs he hasn't been good in the regular season, the regular season can be a grind and people have to see how Helm can stand up to that. Thus far in the regular season 23 career games 1 assist an a -9.

Why does Holland need another experienced NHL forward I mean you said in your previous post all these guys are ready.

If there are worries about the upcoming season, its not because of who they lost.

The worries?

1- What happens if Osgood gets hurt for a long stretch. Howard has shown nothing to indicate he can carry the NHL load as goalie. Daniel Larsson and Jordan Pearce might be really good, but we don't know yet and Thomas McCollum is a few years away.

2 - The toll of two straight finals. I don't think Detroit or Pittsburgh will be back in the finals next year.

Agreed.

However, that's not the point. Samuelsson, Kopecky and Hudler are better than the 3 that will probably replace them. Everyone has to be replaced. If Leino is replacing Hudler, who's replacing Leino? If Helm is replacing Samuelsson, who is replacing Samuelsson?

The 3 biggest concerns facing Detroit in the upcoming season:

1. Chris Osgood's health and consistency: as we all know, Osgood was terrible last season. I expect him to rebound, but he's getting old. Can Detroit depend on Howard for long stretches?

2. Replacing the offense of Hossa, Hudler (assuming he goes to Russia) and Samuelsson.

Hossa: 40 goals, 31 assists, 71 points

Hudler: 23 goals, 34 assists, 57 points

Samuelsson: 19 goals, 21 assists, 40 points

Detroit scored 289 goals last year. Adding up the goal totals of those 3 (and for fun, Kopecky's 6 goals) gives you 88 goals, which is roughly a third of the Red Wings offensive production. The 4 combined for 187 of the Red Wings 800 points.

3. Age and fatigue. Lidstrom is 38, Draper is 37, Osgood, Maltby and Holmstrom are all 36, and Brian Rafalski is 35. The Wings have been known to succeed despite having a multitude of older players, so this may not be a huge concern.

Overall, this is still a great team and probably will still win the division, although Chicago winning it would not be a surprise at all.

I think there's a tendency to overrate prospects at the expense of 3rd and 4th liners who have actually played in the bigs. Samuelsson, Kopecky and Hudler were all proven NHLers. Solid 3rd or 4th liners. Helm has proven himself in 2 playoff runs but not over the long haul. Abdelkader has not proven he's ready for the NHL on a full-time basis. Leino is the same age as Hudler and Filppula and his career credentials to date pale in comparison to theirs. I'm not worried, because I think you can pick up a 3rd or 4th liner pretty easily at the trade deadline, and I welcome the chance for new blood to step in and develop and try to prove themselves (I think Helm, Abdelkader and Leino are all capable of doing so). But we didn't lose 3 bums.

If I were Kenny, I'd target someone like Mike Grier. Can score a little, plays good defense, will come for around 1 million per season, and is a hometown guy.

Edited by Vonlenska

So overall, I think the upcoming season for the Wings just became more uncertain but also more exciting. See how this new blood does. It's a new challenge. Let Babcock and at some point Holland work their magic. Another Cup run, whether it comes next year or the year after, will be even more special if it features a somewhat different cast of characters. Less of the "been there, done that" feel. Who knows, the team might even become a bit more "North American" with Hossa, Kopecky, Samuelsson and apparently Hudler gone - not that it matters to me really, but a different mix could make things appear fresh.