Edman85

Magglio Incentive Counter

this is a totally selfish post, but i really do love the idea of this thread and i hope someone keeps up with this.

As we all know, these things don't last long with Leyland, but, let's say for argument sake it does.

Would Maggs project to reach the magic AB number to trigger his $18M under this arrangement?

I don't expect this platoon arrangement to last long. The Thomas part of it might last but I think Ordonez will start getting at bats against RHP either as a DH or as a RF with Thomas moving over to left some games. Leyland is not going to use Anderson against all RHP and he is just as likely to choose Ordonez as Raburn with a RHP on the mound. He might not get regular duty but I don't see him being confined to a strict platoon for long.

Forgive my laziness but I don't feel like looking back thru the umpteen threads on Maggs - do you think the Tigers will cut him, or do you see him in Motown next season?

As we all know, these things don't last long with Leyland, but, let's say for argument sake it does.

Would Maggs project to reach the magic AB number to trigger his $18M under this arrangement?

If he stays in a strict platoon, no.

If Leyland gets one of those "hunches" were he decides to bench Marcus during a power streak and starts playing Maggs everyday somewhere because he hit a homer in BP, then it gets dicey.

Forgive my laziness but I don't feel like looking back thru the umpteen threads on Maggs - do you think the Tigers will cut him, or do you see him in Motown next season?

I was thinking they would release him this year but it now it looks like he is staying. Next year depends on this year. Ideally, he stays in a platoon this year and does not reach his incentives. In that case, he won't be back next year. If he does reach his incentives, then I would guess he'll be back next year.

I was thinking they would release him this year but it now it looks like he is staying. Next year depends on this year. Ideally, he stays in a platoon this year and does not reach his incentives. In that case, he won't be back next year. If he does reach his incentives, then I would guess he'll be back next year.

If he doesn't reach the incentives but stays on the roster, there's a possibility that they give him the 3 mil buyout, but then bring him back at a much more affordable rate.

I don't think they should do that, but, it might happen.

If he doesn't reach the incentives but stays on the roster, there's a possibility that they give him the 3 mil buyout, but then bring him back at a much more affordable rate.

I don't think they should do that, but, it might happen.

yeah, that's possible but I suspect he would shop himself around and wind up signing very late during the off-season. In that scenario, I don't know if the Tigers would be any more likely than another team to sign him.

As of this morning, July 26th:

2008 PA's: 623

2009 PA's: 311

Total PA's: 934

PA's remaining: 146

2008 GS: 144

2009 GS: 74

Total GS: 218

GS Remaining: 52

With 66 games left, Mags would need 2.21 PA per game to trigger the 2010 option.

I think they're going to be alright. 2.21 PA per game won't be reached as long as he's in a pretty strict platoon. Of course, I cringed when he started against Colon.

I think it's a definite danger that he's going to reach the option, what if it's late in the season, the team is still 1 or 2 games up, he's hitting well, and they face 4 or 5 righties in a row? I'm sure Leyland will throw him in for 2 or 3 of those games. It might even be the right move in regards to "trying to win the game"

Well, ok the "he's hitting well" part might be a slight stretch.

I think it's a definite danger that he's going to reach the option, what if it's late in the season, the team is still 1 or 2 games up, he's hitting well, and they face 4 or 5 righties in a row? I'm sure Leyland will throw him in for 2 or 3 of those games. It might even be the right move in regards to "trying to win the game"

Well, ok the "he's hitting well" part might be a slight stretch.

He hits well against lefties. Not against righties. Leyland should know that by now. I have never felt that there was a chance that he would reach those incentives and I still don't believe that.

Thank you Mark.

So the Tigers have 66 games left, even if he starts 37 of those, he will likely not meet the criteria for his option to kick in.

BTW: Do playoff games factor in this at all? If the Tigers were to make the playoffs, would those AB's count for Maggs in the postseason?

Thank you Mark.

So the Tigers have 66 games left, even if he starts 37 of those, he will likely not meet the criteria for his option to kick in.

BTW: Do playoff games factor in this at all? If the Tigers were to make the playoffs, would those AB's count for Maggs in the postseason?

I think 33 starts is the magic number. Anything below that, his option probably doesn't vest. 33 or more and it probably vests. He has 5 since July 7th.

I don't know the answer to the second question, but I doubt those PA would count.

Thank you Mark.

Play-off games do not count.

The counter is plate appearances, not at bats.

Personally, I think at 35 starts he could reach the vesting option, especially if he pinch hits some. If he is used in a strict platoon, he would probably get something like 20 starts, and would not get all that close to the option.

Play-off games do not count.

The counter is plate appearances, not at bats.

Personally, I think at 35 starts he could reach the vesting option, especially if he pinch hits some. If he is used in a strict platoon, he would probably get something like 20 starts, and would not get all that close to the option.

Wow. I see it now. Plate appearances, not at bats? That means walks and sac flys count towards his vesting. Walks and sac flys aren't official at bats but they are plate appearances.

146 doesn't seem like alot of PAs to me with so many games remaining. I'm beginning to worry they may let him vest.

He would need about 36 starts to reach those 146 plate appearances.

Think we'll face 36 LH starters in 66 more games? Or wait, we face one tonight, so do you think we'll face 35 more LH pitchers in the remaining 65 games? I don't. But the way the Tigers beat up LH pitching, I hope we face at least 30 more. Not likely but it all depends on the remaining schedule.

I really do not foresee them letting his options kick in at this point. He would have to become extremely hot at the plate for them to even consider it at this point.

146 doesn't seem like alot of PAs to me with so many games remaining. I'm beginning to worry they may let him vest.

If he is used in a strict platoon and pinch hit duties, it is highly unlikely he vests based on plate appearances.

Probably the "best" thing that could happen is a short stint on the DL. He needs to get a minor injury here in the next couple of days so his availability (if he gets hot) isn't a concern down the stretch.

Wow. I see it now. Plate appearances, not at bats? That means walks and sac flys count towards his vesting. Walks and sac flys aren't official at bats but they are plate appearances.

That is correct. Pretty much anytime Magglio comes to the plate counts.

What if we have him sac bunt? I'm pretty sure that doesn't count as a PA.

I am pretty sure sac bunts count (not that it matters, I highly doubt Magglio would be bunting). Following was taken from Wikipedia on the topic:

In baseball statistics, a player is credited with a plate appearance (denoted by PA) each time he completes a turn batting. A player completes a turn batting when: He strikes out or is declared out before reaching first base; or He reaches first base safely or is awarded first base (by a base on balls, hit by pitch, or catcher's interference); or He hits a fair ball which causes a preceding runner to be put out for the third out before he himself is put out or reaches first base safely (see also left on base, fielder's choice, force play)

Calculating

A batter does not have a plate appearance if, while he was at bat, a preceding runner is put out on the basepaths for the third out in a way other than by the batter putting the ball into play (i.e., picked off, caught stealing). In this case, the same batter continues his turn batting in the next inning with no balls or strikes against him.

A batter also does not have a plate appearance in the rare instance when he is replaced by a pinch hitter after having already started his turn at bat. In this case, the pinch hitter would receive the plate appearance; however, if a batter is replaced when he already has 2 strikes against him, and the pinch hitter then completes the strikeout, the at-bat is charged to the first batter.

PA = AB + BB + HBP + SH + SF + Times Reached on Defensive Interference

Basically, "plate appearances" = at bats + some of the scenarios excluded from at bats such as base on balls, hit by pitch, sacrifice or catcher's interference which positively affect the offensive team.