2008 PA's: 623

2009 PA's: 279

Total PA's: 902

PA's remaining: 178

2008 GS: 144

2009 GS: 66

Total GS: 210

GS Remaining: 60

So, about 45 games until he hits the PA mark? We are going to have to make a decision quick. DL him for awhile or release him. Either way, he cannot hit those incentives.

Games remaining - 82 - so Maggs would need to start about 3/4 of them.

As for PA's, Maggs usually doesn't make it to the 9th, so give him 3 PA's per game. 178 PA's equals about 60 games, so about the same as the starts.

By the way, thanks for this Eddie.

Games remaining - 82 - so Maggs would need to start about 3/4 of them.

As for PA's, Maggs usually doesn't make it to the 9th, so give him 3 PA's per game. 178 PA's equals about 60 games, so about the same as the starts.

By the way, thanks for this Eddie.

For games Magglio starts, I think it probable that he would average closer to 4 PA / game than 3 PA / game.

My guess is if Magglio starts half of the remaining games, paired with pinch hitting duties, he would probably hit (or come real close to hitting) the PA target. If the Tigers strickly platooned him the rest of the way, there is almost no way he would reach the PA target.

It must suck for Maggs knowing he is being magnified on every at bat from alot of people......

Just doesn't make any sense that he has gone from one of the best offensive players in the game to one of the worst in one season. I just can't figure it out....no power, has a hard time getting the bat around, his concentration looks confused. We really could use his bat in the 2nd half, but you can't keep putting him in there for a single in 4 at bats a game.....

For games Magglio starts, I think it probable that he would average closer to 4 PA / game than 3 PA / game.

My guess is if Magglio starts half of the remaining games, paired with pinch hitting duties, he would probably hit (or come real close to hitting) the PA target. If the Tigers strickly platooned him the rest of the way, there is almost no way he would reach the PA target.

Based on the 1st half stats, you are correct.

Can someone explain exactly what triggers his 2011 option?

2010 option guaranteed at $18M if Ordonez has:

135 starts or 540 PAs in 2009, or

270 starts or 1,080 PAs in 2008-09

2011 option guaranteed at $15M if Ordonez has:

135 starts or 540 PAs in 2010, or

270 starts or 1,080 PAs in 2009-10

One of his perks is that he gets a suite room when he goes on the road.

That's a load of cash for 1 year if you consider Granderson signed a contract for 5 years/$30.25M (2008-13)..........

For all those who obviously want him released, what #'s from Magglio for the next month would make you say, "OK, let's hand him the option years..." ?

For all those who obviously want him released, what #'s from Magglio for the next month would make you say, "OK, let's hand him the option years..." ?

The numbers Manny put up with the Dodgers in 08.

He would need to go on a Kevin Maas hotstreak...

I don't think any would, b/c he's not worth the money he'll get in 2010 and possibly 2011, and he can easily be replaced this year with like value or damn near close to value

OBP = +.450

SLG = +.650

For the rest of the season. In short, hitting like he did in 2007.

... what #'s from Magglio for the next month would make you say, "OK, let's hand him the option years..." ?

None.

The problem is that any numbers we get from him for the remainder of the year can only lead to a FALSE reading on his value for 2010.

Say he puts up an .850 OPS for the remainder of the year... Great! I'd like to see that. But if he gets his 2010 option... that just means he'll put up a .720 OPS next year. And a .720 OPS is NOT worth $18 mill. That .850 OPS potential doesn't change anything for me because I SERIOUSLY believed that it will only be a FALSE indicator of what he is capable of performing at next year.

I don't care WHAT #'s he puts up for the rest of the year... I DON'T want that option triggered.

Period.

Really, there are none............but if there were some, The Truman Show answered it best.

An average around .400 and 8-9 HR's. In other words his goose should be cooked.

I would just like to see him get some decent bat speed again, turn on a few balls, and be able to catch up with a 97 mph fastball like he used to. Right now he's getting beat on 87mph fastballs and he's just trying to be a slap hitter because that's all he can do right now. We don't need that, we have Adam Everett already for a lot less money.

Let's try to keep this thread about his progress towards the incentives and not a general discussion aobut Magglio because there's 2 other threads where that can be done.

Magglio looked really, really bad at the plate today...............he got USED on some fastballs that weren't that impressive.

An OPS well over 1.000 with 10-15 home runs and a batting average over .400.

Even then, I would say "cut him." His contract is awful and we cannot have that anchor of a contract on our team the next two years.

At this point, I don't really see any point in keeping him around, even if he did explode and have great numbers for a month.

Bottom line, that's a lot of money to guarantee a guy who seems to be severely declining. In the long run, meaning after this year, it's just not worth paying a guy that much money when he doesn't look like this is the "slump" that some thought it was.