Rob from Canton

Hossa signs with Chicago

Cheers to Mr. Hossa. Never heard a bad word about the guy. Gave us a great season and until the finals was a blast to watch.

He only intensifies a renewed rivalry with an original six team just a four-hour drive away.

This upcoming season might be a bit of a downer for the Wings (meaning they might not go to the finals or semis). Not because of Hossa, not because of the salary cap, but because of two really long runs with an aging team. I would imagine the Wings are going to have a lot of guys playing in the Vancouver Olympics, which won't help.

Cheers to Mr. Hossa. Never heard a bad word about the guy. Gave us a great season and until the finals was a blast to watch.

He only intensifies a renewed rivalry with an original six team just a four-hour drive away.

This upcoming season might be a bit of a downer for the Wings (meaning they might not go to the finals or semis). Not because of Hossa, not because of the salary cap, but because of two really long runs with an aging team. I would imagine the Wings are going to have a lot of guys playing in the Vancouver Olympics, which won't help.

Could you explain the aging team thing to me? Every year we're labeled aging... what team isnt'? Cheli is gone, and Drapes/Maltby have seen reduced ice time. With the departure of No Cup we can now bring up Abs, Leino, etc.

If anything, we are younger.

And I don't buy into this longer season/playoff hangover ****. Pittsburgh was in the finals last season as well as this season.

We'll be fine. We'll be right where we usually are. And the Hossa won't be in the cup to stink it up next season.

Could you explain the aging team thing to me? Every year we're labeled aging... what team isnt'? Cheli is gone, and Drapes/Maltby have seen reduced ice time. With the departure of No Cup we can now bring up Abs, Leino, etc.

If anything, we are younger.

And I don't buy into this longer season/playoff hangover ****. Pittsburgh was in the finals last season as well as this season.

We'll be fine. We'll be right where we usually are. And the Hossa won't be in the cup to stink it up next season.

I don't think Pittsburgh will be back in the final next year either after two straight years. And the Wings are a little long in the tooth. The goalie is 36, the top two defenseman, who log the most ice time will be 40 and 36 at the start of the playoffs next season. There is a ton of young talent too, but some very key players are getting up there in years.

The whole team except Abs **** the bed in the finals. Actually, no they didn't. They got beat by a better and hungrier team.

I disagree. If the Wings were as healthy as they were last year, there's no way the Pens beat them. I'll take that to my grave.

And Chicago is really going for it and trying to buy a Cup. They just signed John Madden.

And they'll meet Montreal who are doing their best to outspend the Hawks.

Nothing against "Still No-Cup Marian" but his sub-par performance during the play-offs leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I'm not surprised he went elsewhere. I think he would have been a pretty good deal for a long term contract with the Wings at about $4 M per year, but Chicago has him now. I think they may end up regretting it too. So, No huge loss in my opinion. The Wings money will be better spent elsewhere.

As for the comments that no one really showed up for the Wings, except maybe Abdelkader is not accurate. The Wings role players, Helm, Cleary, Sammy, Drapes, even Stuart (minus a couple of gaffes) to mention a few were very good. Rafalski had a good post season when he played. Of course Zetterberg was very good too. Jonathon Ericksson was Very good as well.

Hossa, Homer, Hudler, Maltby and at times Stuart were the disappointments IMO.

Had the Wings been HEALTHIER I think we'd have another Cup. Pittsburgh were no slouches either. They deserved it.

I disagree. If the Wings were as healthy as they were last year, there's no way the Pens beat them. I'll take that to my grave.

QFT!!

Tim Sassone of the Chicago Daily Herald wonders how seriously is Hossa hurt:

Posted by TimS on Tue, 07/21/2009 - 21:34

A source close to the situation confirmed new Hawks winger Marian Hossa has a shoulder or rotator cuff injury.

The severity of the injury is not known, although it is possible Hossa might need surgery, which could put him out of the Hawks lineup until December.

The Hawks are monitoring Hossa while he rehabs the injury, believed to have been suffered during the playoffs.

There are no further details at the moment how the injury might have occurred, or specifically when it happened.

The Hawks signed Hossa to a franchise-record 12-year, $62.8 million contract on July 1. They introduced him at a new conference last Thursday and Hossa was on hand at last weekend's fan convention, showing no signs of a problem.

It would be logical to assume the Hawks gave Hossa a physical before they agreed to the deal and were satisifed with the results.

Stupid salary cap. I'm sure a lot of players would be.

You guys really wouldn't mind being the Yankees of the NHL?

Let the buyer beware.

Could this be another reason Dale Tallon was let go?

My comments:

1) Since Bowman orchestrated the firing of Savard 4 games into the season....that is all you need to know why Tallon was let go. The Bowmans run the show, and Tallon was on top of kid Bowman.

2) So this explains Hossa's lack of productivity in the playoffs....

3) Amazing to think the injuries we had and made it to Game 7 of the SCF. Hossa, Lidstrom, Datsyuk, Rafalski.....in addition to the normal minor injuries....wow.