Rob from Canton

Hossa signs with Chicago

TSN: Marian Hossa has signed with Chicago - Detroit Red Wings Hockey: News, Blogs, Photos, Audio, Schedule & Stats - MLive.com

TSN: Marian Hossa has signed with Chicago

by Ansar Khan

Wednesday July 01, 2009, 12:44 PM

TSN's Darren Dreger now is reporting Marian Hossa has signed with the Chicago Blackhawks.

Here's what more surprising, if it's accurate: TSN's Bob McKenzie reports it will be a salary cap hit of slightly more than $5 million per year, possibly a 12-year deal.

The Wings were steadfast in their offer of 10 years at $4 million per season. I would have thought he would have signed in excess of $6 million per season. Clearly, he wants to play for a good team, one that has a chance of winning the Stanley Cup in the next few years, rather than some team like Edmonton, Los Angeles and Minnesota, which might have offered more but probably won't win anything anytime soon.

The Blackhawks could have some cap room ($6 million) freed up by the departure of oft-injured forward Martin Havlat. But they would face cap problems after 2009-10, when young stars Patrick Kane and Jonathan Toews are up for new deals.

Well, this was a worst-case scenario. Take a 40 goal scorer off the Wings roster and put him on the Blackhawks roster and suddenly next year seems much more difficult right now. The Blackhawks may have a one year window of opportunity, since Patrick Kane and Jonathan Toews are up for new deals after 2009-10.

whats with the 12 year contract? is like the NFL where they try to spread the signing bonus over as many years as possible?

Looks like the Blackhawks think they're poised to make a run next year.

Probably gonna have to be next year with Kane and Towes needing to get paid after 09-10.

I hope Wings fans don't boo Hossa when he returns to play with Chicago -- that is, no more than they would boo any other Hawk. The Wings made him an embarrassingly low offer. Nothing personal in turning that down.

Well, this was a worst-case scenario. Take a 40 goal scorer off the Wings roster and put him on the Blackhawks roster and suddenly next year seems much more difficult right now.

thats what the penguins said about the red wings last year.....

The Wings made him an embarrassingly low offer. Nothing personal in turning that down.

It would be embarrassing if the Wings weren't up front about their money issues. Hossa knew the Wings couldn't offer much, but made it clear he would still listen. We threw out what we could and the Blackhawks learned from what we did with Zetterburg/Franzen and threw out an offer that he couldn't resist.

I hope him the best and many Western Conference Final appearances.

whats with the 12 year contract? is like the NFL where they try to spread the signing bonus over as many years as possible?

It's to spread the salary cap hit out over a number of years and allows the team a bit more flexibility the next few years.

Probably gonna have to be next year with Kane and Towes needing to get paid after 09-10.

I hope Wings fans don't boo Hossa when he returns to play with Chicago -- that is, no more than they would boo any other Hawk. The Wings made him an embarrassingly low offer. Nothing personal in turning that down.

I won't boo him for turning down the best offer they could offer him. Salary cap is salary cap, ya know?

I'll boo him for choking @ a time when we needed his "Superstar Elite Play" the most.

Face it, when Hossa signed last summer I think everyone assumed it was going to be a 1-year thing. Then in the spring Hossa, management and the fans started dreaming about having it work out longer. Didn't happen, but no hard feelings, there's no way I'll boo Hossa. I sure wish he had jumped back to the Eastern Conference though. Suddenly a #1 or #2 seed in the West is no sure thing.

I won't boo him for turning down the best offer they could offer him. Salary cap is salary cap, ya know?

I'll boo him for choking @ a time when we needed his "Superstar Elite Play" the most.

I hate defending him now, because I dont particularly like him. But does that mean you will boo Datsyuk too then?

I hate defending him now, because I dont particularly like him. But does that mean you will boo Datsyuk too then?

I don't see the correlation. Dats was injured during the Finals. I'm speaking of the finals .. not the regular season, not the playoffs. The Finals. If you leave one team and leave millions on the table and then play like horse ****, often dissappearing I don't have a right to boo you?

I appreciate what he did in the regular season. Great season for him.

I totally enjoyed watching him play in the Red jersey with the winged wheel.

But he didn't come through, when we needed him. That's just my opinion. And I'll boo him because of it. He won't hear it, obviously, as I'll be in my house watching :)

Perhaps they will have enough to keep what they have now, but it will cut into other parts of the club down the road. We shall see.

No one in Detroit should feel like they've been stabbed in the back, but the Wings didn't embarrass themselves by offering Hossa the highest salary they possibly could to retain him either. Not sure characterizing the Wings offer as "embarrassingly low" is entirely accurate or encapsulates the other forces affecting Holland's contract proposal.

He was bad in the finals but he was sensational in the prior series. No way they make it past Anaheim without him leading the way.

Well, this was a worst-case scenario. Take a 40 goal scorer off the Wings roster and put him on the Blackhawks roster and suddenly next year seems much more difficult right now. The Blackhawks may have a one year window of opportunity, since Patrick Kane and Jonathan Toews are up for new deals after 2009-10.

and also they will most likely LOSE a 30 goal scorer and their starting goalie

The whole team except Abs **** the bed in the finals. Actually, no they didn't. They got beat by a better and hungrier team.

He was bad in the finals but he was sensational in the prior series. No way they make it past Anaheim without him leading the way.

Nah, I wouldn't call him sensational against Anaheim. He certainly wasn't their best player that series or close. He was OK against Anaheim, better against Chicago, subpar versus Columbus and Pittsburgh.

The whole team except Abs **** the bed in the finals. Actually, no they didn't. They got beat by a better and hungrier team.

How did they all play like **** and manage to get to game seven? Z-man was stopping Jesus and his buddy, Dats was injured. Mule played decent. The "role-players" got us to the finals.

Tomas and Hossa didn't show up.

They got beat by a better and hungrier team.

They got beat by a fresher team... Det was worn out and battered badly, that Ana series really did them in and the Chi series just added to their injuries and tiredness. By the time they got to the Pens, they were outa gas. Had Detroit been even 85% the series would have been over by Game 6. The pens have a good team but they were not the better team they just benefited by the circumstances.

Now we all know what Pittsburgh went though a year ago!!!!

Marian Hossa's 12-year contract looks like Blackhawks albatross - Allan Muir - SI.com

So much for dreams of fiscal restraint.

Marian Hossa, the player widely acknowledged as the best free agent on the market at the start of the day, has cashed in big time by signing a 12-year, $62.8 million deal with the Chicago Blackhawks.

Adding a player with Hossa's skill set for just $5.166 million per year makes the Hawks a more formidable team over the short term. But the deal makes you wonder if Dale Tallon has completely lost sight of the team's future.

Don't get hung up on the duration. That's what keeps the cap hit reasonable. But even if the durable forward comes in at a decent value, this deal could come back and bite the Hawks hard next summer.

Remember, the contracts of Jonathan Toews, Patrick Kane and Duncan Keith all expire after next season, setting up Tallon for a troika of tough negotiations. Best case -- and I mean absolute pie-in-the-sky -- scenario: he gets the trio for something in the range of $15 million per year. Add that to about $36 million that's already committed to just nine players plus the likelihood that the $56.8 million salary cap will shrink significantly, and it looks like Tallon has painted himself into a very tight corner with this deal.

Fools rush in? Unless Tallon has a couple of suckers lined up to take the contracts of Brian Campbell and Cristobal Huet off his hands, it's hard to read it any other way.

Hossa is a 40-goal man and a terrific defensive presence, but this isn't a zero-sum game. After all, Hossa's addition all but ensures the departure of Martin Havlat, the team's best forward last season. Hossa's a better all-around option, but how much better?

Maybe Tallon feels he's close enough to go for it this year and Hossa gives him his best chance to win. Time will tell. The deal certainly alters the balance of power in the West to some degree, if only because Tallon has weakened the defending conference champs in Detroit. But he's put his career on the line with this contract, because it's not just Havlat who is headed out of town. And it's not just next year that Tallon has to worry about.

The deal also makes current restricted free agent defenseman Cam Barker and Calder candidate Kris Versteeg prime targets for an offer sheet over the next few days.

Hossa's a great player, but it's hard to envision this contract as anything but an albatross for the franchise in the future.

Again, I have no idea what they are thinking. Not happy about this at all given he's going to our #1 rival, but I think this will end up breaking up the team. The west is gonna be tough this year with Calgary really improving, Heatley possibly moving to Edmonton to join a nice young group, and the old stand-bys of Vancouver, Anaheim, and Detroit. I think Chicago is trying to play into a SCF this coming year, and I think their chances are going to be about as good as Detroit's if not a little worse.

There were years when Yzerman and Federov didn't produce when it mattered in the playoffs, so I won't tar Hossa based on one playoff. He played well in the earlier series and last year for Pittsburgh in the Finals. This is a big loss for the Wings, no doubt about it. That he went to probably our main rivals in the West next season, just makes it worse.

Craig Custance quotes Hossa on a conference call today: " If there's no salary cap, I'm sure I would still be in Detroit."

Craig Custance quotes Hossa on a conference call today: " If there's no salary cap, I'm sure I would still be in Detroit."

Stupid salary cap. I'm sure a lot of players would be.

Did you guys hear about the Starbucks in the Chicago area? They're doing a special "Hossa" edition drink in honor of his signing. Its served without a cup.

There were some good comments on the Deadspin story on this too:

"The Blackhawks should know any contract with a European settler is voidable."

"12 years later, Blackhawk fans will look back refer to this period as the Trail of Tears."

"Rick Dipietro limps his approval..."

"That picture is the only evidence that Hossa was ever on the ice during the Stanley Cup Finals."