It seems like there has been a lot of negativity around here about a variety of issues, but I haven't really seen anyone discussing how great it is that Zumaya is back to form. That is huge! Many people, myself included, questioned if he'd ever be effective again. Instead he's back just as good as before, if not better, since it seems like he's throwing his curve for strikes more often.

Time will tell if he can keep it up, but for now he's made quite the recovery from his injuries.

I'm not gonna lie - I get scared when he pitches. More so then when Rodney pitches. 104 is nice to see again; but sometimes ... i close my eyes and hold on to the arm of the chair.

But i'm glad he's healthy.

Amazing. He's definitely all the way back, but to be realistic, well let's just say enjoy every minute of this -

because you never know how many 103 MPH fastballs a human arm can deliver.

Zumaya's command is still not what is was in 2006. I'm encouraged that he is healthy and that he regained all of his speed. That gives me confidence that he can improve. Going into the season, I was not expecting anything from him so I'm happy with his performance so far.

He still can't consistently drop the hook for a strike, which made him so devastating in 2006. Until then, his 100 mph is going to get a lot of people out, but his poor control and inability to keep the ball in the park are going to make for some nervous innings.

Good point. He has been a huge plus for us.

I am really surprised that he's throwing in the 100's again. I thought he was going to lose a little speed after the various surgeries. He's quite the physical marvel.

The curve is not what it was, but I think it is only a matter of time until it comes back. It might be 2010 before we see it, though. But if he can throw over 100, I think it is safe to say his arm is healthy again.

Zoom is definitely one of the most pleasant surprises of the summer so far. I was honestly expecting him to be on the DL or prepetually rehabbing in the minors by this point of the season. To be able to bounce back with the velocity after going through the injury woes like he has is actually pretty rare. I can't think of anyone who has successfully bounced back without having to reinvent themselves a bit as a pitcher - he hasn't really had to do that at all.

I'm encouraged, and I think he'll be a plus, but he's had a very scary month. He needs to have a reliable #2 pitch, which is eluding him right now.

I truly..... truly..... think it is amazing he has regained his 100+ fastball after his many, many DL issues.

But I still maintain he should be traded this year for a quality left-handed hitter and/or corner outfielder. The Chi-Sox, Twinks and Indians have absolutely no fear of Zumaya whatsoever. All of them have kicked his butt on numerous occasions over the past few years. He's young and his 100+ MPH means he has a lot of tradable cachet.

If he's traded to the NL our Central division rivals will be sad to see him go.

He still can't consistently drop the hook for a strike, which made him so devastating in 2006. Until then, his 100 mph is going to get a lot of people out, but his poor control and inability to keep the ball in the park are going to make for some nervous innings.

I had my fingers crossed last night, hoping he wouldn't let me down like he did the night before.

Tuesday night = Bad Zoom!

Wednesday night = Good Zoom!

I keep forgetting that he really has only pitched one full year in the majors, combined with pieces of a couple others..but he still has a lot to learn, and has a huge upside, provided he stays healthy.

Isn't Lyon the better pitcher and better 8th inning guy at this point?

To be honest I think it's closer than people want to admit. Lyon has some rough outings but he's been good lately and he has the ability to string together 15 or so quality appearances in a row.

Something worth remembering perhaps - Zoom did have that nasty finger injury, so I imagine he can't grip his curve as hard

as he used to, or least has had to modify that grip. So that should be factored in also.

Personally, I'm loving what I've seen from Zoom lately, bad changeups aside. He actually looks like a guy who could take over the closers role someday again. Plus, I can't remember anyone hitting his curve ball, so keep throwing it young man.

Plus, I can't remember anyone hitting his curve ball, so keep throwing it young man.

I was thinking the same thing the other day. Usually noone ever swings at it.

Nice to see he is being appreciated for coming back from injury. A lot of people thought he was done but he has his arm strength back. I don't care if he is a little wild but I prefer it be high and tight not low and away. Hopefully he gets his curve back as others have said. He can sure make hitters look silly if he does.

I think he's got a good curveball. His fastball is actually better now than in 2006. He's averaging over 99 mph with it this season, something no one has done in pitch f/x history. It's really the best pure arm in baseball. I think his curve has been fine this season, and if you think he's not throwing it for strikes lately, you're not watching. He's getting a better idea of how to pitch and if he ever takes that last step and gets better fastball command, watch out, because he'd be the most lethal and intimidating closer in baseball.

He dropped two deadly curves on one of the Cubs wednesday night the first two pitches. Just sick pitches that the batter had no chance of putting in play.

Only if he can throw it 95!

I wonder if I will see a submarine-thrower knuckleball in my lifetime...

I've worked on it a couple times messing around...I think it's possible. I threw submarine in little league and it was hilarious watching the kids' reactions...I don't understand how you can throw a breaking pitch like that though...