Gave us 11 years. Still hard to believe he was here longer than he was with Chicago. Glad he was able to win a couple of cups here and that he liked the place so much he made it his permanent home. Never thought we'd ever applaud that guy.

Good luck, Cheli

stanley-cup-chelios.jpg

He was hated in this town, for sure, but I always thought is was a sort of "respected" hate. He was nasty to play against, but you always knew that you would love to have him on your team. Like Vladimir Konstantinov or Scott Stevens. It wasn't like Detroiters accepted Claude Lemieux or anything.

He was hated in this town, for sure, but I always thought is was a sort of "respected" hate. He was nasty to play against, but you always knew that you would love to have him on your team. Like Vladimir Konstantinov or Scott Stevens. It wasn't like Detroiters accepted Claude Lemieux or anything.

He was like Pronger is to us now. He was a bit dirty, but also talented.

I'd take it a step further, in that Chelios was really a jerk in the '90s, IMO. Reckless in Montreal after hours while with the Habs, the veiled threat against Bettman's family during the '95 strike, captaining the disgraceful U.S. Olympic team that trashed its rooms in Nagano, etc. But he has matured, and no complaints about his time with the Wings though, except that if he played on any other team he'd have been crucified by Wings' fans for skipping the handshakes after a series loss 2 year ago. I like the fact that he seemed to really like Detroit.

His appreciation won't quite be as universal as the four that will be honored tomorrow.

Still, playing to 47 is an amazing thing in its own right. He'll be remembered as a great warrior by the fans of 3 teams and respected by many others. I'll think of him as a great leader on Team USA for more than 20 years

I wonder how soon before he rips on the Wings or Detroit? It wouldn't shock me. Does he stay here? His bars do very well but now that his kids are older will he stick around or go home?

I Always was a Chelios fan. Even when he was playing for the hated Blackhawks, I hoped that someday he'd become a Red Wing. One of the all-time greats for sure. I'll always remember being in a busy bar in Calgary a couple playoffs ago when Chelios scored on a 2 on 1 to put the Wings ahead. Surprised I got out of there unharmed wearing my Chelios jersey, as I was certainly was less than popular that night.

He was the most hated guy about everywhere he went, and one of the most loved everywhere he played. Says a lot about how hard it was to play against the guy I think.

I Always was a Chelios fan. Even when he was playing for the hated Blackhawks, I hoped that someday he'd become a Red Wing. One of the all-time greats for sure. I'll always remember being in a busy bar in Calgary a couple playoffs ago when Chelios scored on a 2 on 1 to put the Wings ahead. Surprised I got out of there unharmed wearing my Chelios jersey, as I was certainly was less than popular that night.

He was the most hated guy about everywhere he went, and one of the most loved everywhere he played. Says a lot about how hard it was to play against the guy I think.

I was expecting you to have some kind of story of him being a boozer. And didn't you get to a game out here with the Chelios jersey on? Nonetheless, your support of the guy out here is top notch and definitely a dangerous act. One thing's for sure: we know he's definitely in a pub somewhere in the Detroit area as we speak.

Regardless, Cheli led one hell of a unique and amazing career.

I wonder how soon before he rips on the Wings or Detroit? It wouldn't shock me.

Wouldn't shock me either, given that he would not speak to the media the day the Wings cleaned out their lockers and wouldn't yesterday as well. We'll have to wait and see. I don't mind him staying silent this week if it's because he wants to calm down before saying something he'd regret. Really can't see why he should be upset (if in fact he is).

Another way of putting the length of Chelios' career in perspective: he played for the '84 U.S. Olympic hockey team! I even remember hearing somewhere that he had tried out for the 1980 Miracle on Ice team?

I wonder how soon before he rips on the Wings or Detroit?
I wouldn't suspect he'd rip on either if he wants to continue to have businesses in the local area.

Another way of putting the length of Chelios' career in perspective: he played for the '84 U.S. Olympic hockey team! I even remember hearing somewhere that he had tried out for the 1980 Miracle on Ice team?

I think I remember him running the Russian Goalie that year. As a Habs fan I will always remember him playing for them when they were still great.

Dirty? A bit prejudiced are you.

WTF is Dirty?

You're being a peon.

... Gosh I quoted myself.

Edited by skyguy52

I'd take it a step further, in that Chelios was really a jerk in the '90s, IMO. Reckless in Montreal after hours while with the Habs, the veiled threat against Bettman's family during the '95 strike, captaining the disgraceful U.S. Olympic team that trashed its rooms in Nagano, etc. But he has matured, and no complaints about his time with the Wings though, except that if he played on any other team he'd have been crucified by Wings' fans for skipping the handshakes after a series loss 2 year ago. I like the fact that he seemed to really like Detroit.

Thanks L.S. Explained it well.:bored:

Gave us 11 years. Still hard to believe he was here longer than he was with Chicago. Glad he was able to win a couple of cups here and that he liked the place so much he made it his permanent home. Never thought we'd ever applaud that guy.

Good luck, Cheli

What an Azz ho you are

Am surprised (really) at you outbursts.

Lord Stanley ... I thought better of you. I really did/have. For you to go off on Chelli now .... well that's REAALLY in poor taste.

What's up with you? Hangover .. over the wings losing, so you're taking it out on someone?

I really have to know this b'cuz my perception of you ... well its not like you.

WTF?:cheeky:

Well, with Babcock hating Americans, it was only a matter of time until he left.

U must b quite buzzed? I think so. Yep.

Sleeping? Yep. You R.

You wouldn't know what that means ... So I accept your answer.

But the fact is ... you SHOULD no what that means