Shinma

2009 Red Wings off-season thread.

Well, here we go. Its midnight.

The Wings to shock the world by landing the Sedin twins !

Shoot me if that even happens.

They need to grow up and learn to live apart like the Niedermayers have, the Staals do, the Hunters and Sutters did, etc. They handcuff their team by insisting on being a package, especially when their games are so similar. I like my siblings too, but I live in BC, my sisters are in Ontario, and my brother is in Central America. We survive OK by phone and email and holiday gatherings, so can the Sisters.

Have fun with a winner like LA, Mr. Hossa

Are we really gonna pile on Hossa for turning down $4 Mil a season when he would clearly command far more elsewhere? He already turned down a big pile of money to play here for a season. This is his last big contract. It's now or never for him to cash in big.

Are we really gonna pile on Hossa for turning down $4 Mil a season when he would clearly command far more elsewhere? He already turned down a big pile of money to play here for a season. This is his last big contract. It's now or never for him to cash in big.

You can either have about 60million in a bank account and have a shot at winning a cup or you can have 75million and have no chance. I'm not piling on the guy, I just think that if he takes the best offer, it's because he doesn't care if he has another shot at winning or not. And I heard that LA is one of the leading candidates to go after a guy like Hossa and they certainly have the money under the cap to outbid anyone if they want to.

You can either have about 60million in a bank account and have a shot at winning a cup or you can have 75million and have no chance. I'm not piling on the guy, I just think that if he takes the best offer, it's because he doesn't care if he has another shot at winning or not. And I heard that LA is one of the leading candidates to go after a guy like Hossa and they certainly have the money under the cap to outbid anyone if they want to.

But it doesn't have to be a choice between playing for Detroit at a steep discount or playing for LA for the most available money. There are better teams than LA that would pay him more than Detroit. LA isn't his only option.

EDIT: WXYT is reporting that Hossa is talking to Chicago.

Darren Dreger of TSN says Hossa is close to signing in Chicago. Incredible.

They are gonna have a tough time keeping Toews, Kane, and Keith now though. Not sure why they'd do this.

But it doesn't have to be a choice between playing for Detroit at a steep discount or playing for LA for the most available money. There are better teams than LA that would pay him more than Detroit. LA isn't his only option.

EDIT: WXYT is reporting that Hossa is talking to Chicago.

You missed my point. I wasn't meaning LA is the only choice...i probably didn't explain it well. A top contender won't be able to give him the kind of money that a team that isn't good can.

Just as I'm saying that I heard that he's close to a deal with Chicago. Guess I might be wrong then. Even though I'm not sure that Chicago can keep everyone after this next season.....

Chicago will be in cap hell if they sign Hossa. Good luck finding a good goalie and signing Toews, Kane, Keith and Seabrook.

Chicago will be in cap hell if they sign Hossa. Good luck finding a good goalie and signing Toews, Kane, Keith and Seabrook.

they got Huet still. Maybe that means they are done with Khabibulen. They might be in trouble with Toews, Kane, and Keith though next year

they got Huet still. Maybe that means they are done with Khabibulen. They might be in trouble with Toews, Kane, and Keith though next year

Huet is rumored to be going to Edmonton. And there is no "might be" in trouble if they sign Hossa to anything more than a one year deal. They will be in trouble, they won't be able to keep all three.

Huet is awful. I hope they keep him and his awful contract.

Dreger says the Hossa deal is done, Tampa Bay tried but couldn’t sign him. McKenzie says it’s a 12 year deal at a $5 mil cap hit annually

12 year deal, yikes.

DarrenDreger: Hossa's deal heavily front loaded. 53 mil for the first 7 years of the 12 yr deal.

Wow, that deal sucks for them then. Not sure what they are thinking unless they have a trade in place for Huet and then plan to go super cheap on goalies in the future. Dumb. I hate to lose him to the Blackhawks but they are not positioning themselves as a long-term threat IMO with this signing.

Wow, that deal sucks for them then. Not sure what they are thinking unless they have a trade in place for Huet and then plan to go super cheap on goalies in the future. Dumb. I hate to lose him to the Blackhawks but they are not positioning themselves as a long-term threat IMO with this signing.

The super cheap on goalies thing rings very familiar, wouldn't you say? I have a bad taste in my mouth about Hossa and Bowman right now.

what does it matter whether it's front loaded beyond the team's cash flow? The cap hit's the same.

Kopecky to the Blackhawks. 2 years, 1.2million per season. I think this is a mistake on Detroit's part. The guy gets in 1 fight and they give up on him? That seems crazy to me. I'll take him over Abdelkader as much as I like #8.

what does it matter whether it's front loaded beyond the team's cash flow? The cap hit's the same.

It matters because of the buyout rules and it matters to the Blackhawks because for 10/11 they already have 34 mill tied up in just 8 players. With this contract they are playing with fire because they are going to pay him the 59 million and other teams are going to have trouble taking on a 7.5 mill a year real money contract if the Blackhawks don't want him in 4 years. Plus with the cap going down next year which looks like a certainty, they have to squeeze in Toews and Kane and then worry about Sharp two years from now.

Does it make them better this coming year? Oh, yeah it does. But they made poor choices with Huet and Campbell last year and they are going to need a minor miracle to keep half this team together. They are already rumored to be offfering Barker as part of any deal to take Huet. I think they have painted themselves into a corner for '10/'11 and beyond.

With Sammy's aim, I better install some extra-durable windows. Otherwise one of his errant shots may end up in my living room.

rumors Wings could announce their new deal with Leino as early as today. Glad he will be back

http://www.insidebayarea.com/sharks/ci_12745694

http://www.freep.com/article/20090703/SPORTS05/907030420/Wings+close+to+deal+with+Leino++Holland++not+optimistic++about+Samuelsson

The Red Wings may announce a two-year deal for restricted free agent forward Ville Leino as early as today.

I think Leino could easily be a 50 pt guy this coming season.

With Sammy's aim, I better install some extra-durable windows. Otherwise one of his errant shots may end up in my living room.

Don't worry about it too much. During the Olympics there is going to be a nuclear bomb set off in Vancouver and you will all die anyway. Blame the Sedin twins, Swedish terrorists.....

I've never been the biggest fan of Samuelsson and it isn't that big of deal he left but I thought with us not signing Hossa that some of these secondary players would be resigned, ie Samuelsson and Kopecky.