Shinma

2009 Red Wings off-season thread.

for the love of hockey.. I assumed that we would win the Cup with Hossa after last year and then sign Hossa when time came. Now both may not happen.. I guess that what happens when I assume...........

Don't count on Howard being Ozzie's backup next season. I'll betcha lunch on that one. We thought he'd be the backup last year and he did nothing in this past season to improve his standing. They'll sign another veteran.

I am not optimistic about Hossa coming back.

Anyone think the Sedin twins could end up with the Wings? Is there possible cap space if they let Hudler/Hossa/Sammy go? I think the Wings could get get them a little cheaper because of their status as a perpetual Cup contender and their Stockholm Syndrome (as I call it).

Don't count on Howard being Ozzie's backup next season. I'll betcha lunch on that one. We thought he'd be the backup last year and he did nothing in this past season to improve his standing. They'll sign another veteran.

I am not optimistic about Hossa coming back.

Anyone think the Sedin twins could end up with the Wings? Is there possible cap space if they let Hudler/Hossa/Sammy go? I think the Wings could get get them a little cheaper because of their status as a perpetual Cup contender and their Stockholm Syndrome (as I call it).

If they cant sign Hossa, there is no way they could get both Sedin twins.

I don't want Hossa to sign, so he probably will.

We need to take the money, bring in a goalie (not sure why we're not bring Conky back, pretty bogus really).

Hossa will be dealt to the Kings tomorrow afternoon. Then we move forward.

If they cant sign Hossa, there is no way they could get both Sedin twins.

The Sedins come as a packaged deal, so they will take less money if they want to remain a package.

We need to take the money, bring in a goalie (not sure why we're not bring Conky back, pretty bogus really).

Well Howard is out of options, we are going to lose him if we have to send him down again like we did with Quincey last year. For that reason I think he will at least start as out backup goalie next year.

The Sedins come as a packaged deal, so they will take less money if they want to remain a package.

You mean each turning down 12 year 63 million dollar offer?

You mean each turning down 12 year 63 million dollar offer?

they didnt turn that down, thats what they each wanted and Vancouver turned it down.

they didnt turn that down, thats what they each wanted and Vancouver turned it down.

True my mistake but Dubay might be off his rocker if he thinks the Sedin's end up in Detroit.

Hossa will not re-sign with us. Hulder or Sammy will for about 2 million a year. Leino gets a contract for $800,00 or so with a guarantee that he will be on the Wings roster all year. Then, with our remaining million or so in cap money, we will sign a guy like Travis Moen. I also think Lilja will spend some time on LTIR so that will open up some cap space to increase some of these deals.

Holland won't sign the Sedins, but if he did, it would be my darkest day as a Wings fan since they got Todd Bertuzzi. I can't stand the Sisters.

You shouldn't say "can't" or "no way" when Ken Holland is involved.

Okay then, maybe Holland will sign Gaborik, Cammalleri, Sedin twins and Bouwmeester after all you really can't say no way with Ken Holland.

If Hossa leaves then they have room for others. Cammalleri or Afinogenov would be ok for me. I'm not exactly sold of re-signing Hudler- he pulled quite the slight-of-hand during the playoffs.

so many twists and turns, eklund is saying look for a Hossa deal to be announced tonight. knowing eklund and his reputation though it probably means he is as good as gone.

If Hossa leaves then they have room for others. Cammalleri or Afinogenov would be ok for me. I'm not exactly sold of re-signing Hudler- he pulled quite the slight-of-hand during the playoffs.

I dont think they would have room for others, im pretty sure if they dont sign hossa its re-sign hudler and sammy and maybe play with 23 guys on the roster instead of 22. If we dont get Hossa dont expect us to use that money and add anyone of great impact. Maybe a guy making around $1 mil or so.

If Hossa signs for what the Wings are offering, it arguably would be the deepest discount to market value in a long-term contract in NHL history. More than any current Wings player is taking. He could be leaving $10-$15mm on the table. I don't expect he will (I don't think I would if I was in his shoes), but it would be great if he did. David Boland of Chicago just signed a deal for $3.4mm per year yesterday, for example, and he's a fraction of the player that Hossa is.

Maybe Hossa can try a similar tactic to what ticket scalpers use to get around scalping laws. Sign at $4mm per, but then also set up a tourism company and sell the Red Wings a pen, a balloon and 2 nights in a Slovakian hotel for $10 million.

Maybe Hossa can try a similar tactic to what ticket scalpers use to get around scalping laws. Sign at $4mm per, but then also set up a tourism company and sell the Red Wings a pen, a balloon and 2 nights in a Slovakian hotel for $10 million.

or Illitch can give him a $1.5 mil a year little ceasars endorsement deal :cheeky:

5 names to look out for as potential Wings: Todd Marchant. Travis Moen, Sammy Pahlsson, John Madden and Ian Lapperiere.

Of those, I think Madden is the least likely with Lappereiere and Moen the most likely.