Shinma

6/12. Stanley Cup Finals. Game 7. Penguins @ Red Wings. 8:00 pm, NBC/CBC.

One more.

One more GDT for my MTS crew.

One more night filled with gasps, and holding your breath.

One more time stressing out over the littlest things and yelling at the TV.

One more... ALL or NOTHING game.

One. More. Win.

joe.jpg

motownredwingsti7.gif

Presents the following thread:

pit.png@det.png

3 @ 3

Your defending Stanley Cup Champion

drwki5.gif

Vs.

The Pittsburgh Penguins

This game is a presentation of:

scfinal2009sml.png

GAME 7

Date: Fri., June 12th, 2009

Time: 8:00pm EST

Television Broadcast Provided by:

nhlnbcwideod7.jpg

The NBC network

DirecTV channel 82/83

Radio Broadcast Provided by:

xmlogo2006jv0.jpg

XM Radio: Channels 204/205

Goaltending Matchup:

a890aea2f5e337bd5eb8f6d0058280bd_ge.jpg

Det. - Chris Osgood (15-7) 2.00 GAA .927 sv%, 2 SO

Pit. - Marc-Andre Fleury (15-8) 2.68 GAA .906 sv%

nhl_g_fleuryloss_576.jpg

Recap of the Wings Game 6 loss to the Penguins:

Red Wings 1, Penguins 2

Penguins force Game 7 as Fleury stands tall in Game 6

PITTSBURGH -- Before Game 6 of the Stanley Cup Final, Detroit's Dan Cleary spoke about how difficult it is to close out a team with the Cup on the line, mainly because the team on the brink of elimination doesn't want to go quietly into a season of regrets.

Later Tuesday night, the Pittsburgh Penguins proved Cleary to be prescient, playing their most workmanlike, most disciplined and most gritty game of this best of-7 series.

The result was a 2-1 victory for Pittsburgh, a result that put the Stanley Cup back in its traveling case and forced a winner-take-all Game 7 Friday night in Detroit (8 p.m. ET, NBC, CBC, RDS). The Red Wings had clinched the Cup here last season with a 3-2 victory in Game 6.

"I thought they were better than us, though, at the start of the game; probably, for the first almost 32 minutes," Detroit coach Mike Babcock said. "They won more races and more battles, had more play, were on top of us more, and they kept us to the outside.

"I thought we started to build some momentum at the end of the second period, and then obviously we had a good third period."

But by then, Detroit was fighting an uphill battle. Jordan Staal had given Pittsburgh a 1-0 lead in the first minute of the second period. Then Tyler Kennedy scored a solo-effort goal in the sixth minute of the third period.

Kris Draper, with his first point of the playoffs, cut the lead to 2-1; but thanks to the brilliance of goalie Marc-Andre Fleury, Detroit could not get the equalizer.

"Everybody did a good job sacrificing," is how defenseman Brooks Orpik described the season-extending victory.

"We won the battles, getting the stick on the puck, all the little things," fellow defenseman Hal Gill told NHL.com. "That makes the game a little easier. You don't think about the big things. You take the little things and go step by step."

The list of heroes for the Penguins on Tuesday night was exhaustive and aided by a sliver of luck.

Fleury turned in perhaps his best game of the Final just 72 hours after allowing five goals on 21 shots in Game 5's desultory 5-0 loss.

"He's a guy who has come up big in a lot of big games," Pittsburgh coach Dan Bylsma said. "There were a handful of times he came up big for us tonight."

Fleury made only three saves in the first period, but two were on point-blank shots by Detroit sniper Henrik Zetterberg. In the game's final two minutes Fleury denied Dan Cleary on a breakaway.

And when Fleury couldn't get in front of a shot, one of his teammates did. Pittsburgh finished the game with 20 blocked shots.

None, though, was as memorable as the kick save by Rob Scuderi with 14 seconds left in the game as Johan Franzen tried to score from the low slot. Scuderi got the initial attempt with his leg pad and then appeared to make a second save with the boot portion of his skate before Fleury smothered the puck.

"I'm more of a stand-up goalie, not a butterfly," Scuderi said, a trickle of blood curling down his face from a small gash on his right eyebrow. "They are outnumbering us in front of the net and at that point it is kind of tough to just take the man. I just tried to go down and hope that it hit and I'm pretty fortunate it did."

It was the gritty one-on-one battles -- like blocking shots -- which defined Pittsburgh's victory.

On Staal's goal, the big forward made a safe play to get the puck out of the zone before beating Detroit defenseman Jonathan Ericsson to the puck to key the 2-on-1. Then, Staal didn't quit on the play, reaching back to slam home his own rebound after Chris Osgood made the initial save.

On the game-winning goal, Kennedy made a play out of nothing to jam home a shot from in tight. But for that to happen, Matt Cooke had to beat Nicklas Lidstrom to a loose puck on the half board, then Max Talbot had to rim a pass behind the net as two defenders converged on him before Kennedy could curl around and stuff home his shot.

"It helped us out a little bit, getting that two-goal lead," Kennedy said. "You have to build as big a lead as you can on those guys because they have a lot of offensive players and are a good team."

Not only did Staal and Kennedy score the Pittsburgh goals, but they also did the majority of the defensive work necessary to keep the Zetterberg-Cleary-Pavel Datsyuk unit off the scoresheet. The Pittsburgh checking line, which also includes Cooke, took the majority of the shifts against Detroit's top line, freeing the Sidney Crosby unit for other duties.

"Offense starts in the defensive zone," Kennedy said, "and I thought we played well in the defensive zone tonight. We're trying to keep the puck out of our end and keep it in their end."

By doing that, and all the other little things right, Kennedy and Staal were named as the game's second and third stars, respectively, behind Fleury.

"I think that's the story line of the playoffs, when your team can play well enough that different people can put on the cape on any given night," Bylsma said. "When your team plays well enough long enough and you put yourself in those positions, different guys are going to be the heroes. Tonight it was TK, and Jordan was also a huge part of that."

Notes:

Pittsburgh's Jordan Staal would not be denied on his first shift of the second period. First, he alleviated some Detroit pressure by chipping the puck off the wall and across the blue line. Instead of exhaling, Staal danced past a pinching Jonathon Ericsson to reclaim the puck and key a 2-on-1, joined by Tyler Kennedy. Staal kept the puck, shooting on Chris Osgood, who made the save with his mask. Refusing to be denied, Staal then grabbed the rebound and tucked it past Osgood.

Detroit goalie Chris Osgood kept his team in the game, despite a huge territorial advantage by the desperate Penguins, making some brilliant saves in the first 40 minutes, including a lightning-fast glove save against Bill Guerin in the first and a one-timer off the stick of Ruslan Fedotenko in the second.

Marc-Andre Fleury may have made only three saves in the first period, but none of them was easy. In fact, the two against Henrik Zetterberg in that period -- 14 minutes and 58 seconds apart -- were likely his two best of the night. Each time, Zetterberg was all alone in a prime scoring area, only to be denied by Fleury.

Kris Draper's goal at 8:01 of the third period was Draper's goal and first point of these playoffs. The goal, a rebound lofted past the sprawling Marc-Andre Fleury, cut Pittsburgh's lead to 2-1. Game 6 was just Draper's seventh game of the playoffs and just third of the Final.

Pittsburgh decided to shake up its lineup with its season on the line. Petr Sykora was inserted to provide some offense. But his biggest contribution might have come on the defensive side of the puck when, in the second period, he blocked a point shot from Kris Draper by diving to the ice and then having the wherewithal to push the puck out of the zone while prone on the ice. Sykora took the place of Miroslav Satan.

Series Schedule:

Saturday, May 30, @Detroit 3, Pittsburgh 1

Sunday, May 31, @Detroit 3, Pittsburgh 1

Tuesday, June 2 @Pittsburgh 4, Detroit 2

Thursday, June 4 @Pittsburgh 4, Detroit 2

Saturday, June 6 @Detroit 5, Pittsburgh 0

Tuesday, June 9 @Pittsburgh 2, Detroit 1

Series 3 Results:

Sunday, May 17, @Detroit 5, Chicago 2

Tuesday, May 19, @Detroit 3, Chicago 2, OT

Friday, May 22 @Chicago 4, Detroit 3, OT

Sunday, May 24 Detroit 6, @Chicago 1

Wednesday, May 27 @Detroit 4, Chicago 3, OT

Series 2 Results:

Friday, May 1 @Detroit 3, Ducks 2

Sunday, May 3 Anaheim 4, @Detroit 3, 3OT

Tuesday, May 5 @Anaheim 2, Detroit 1

Thursday, May 7 Detroit 6, @Anaheim 3

Sunday, May 10 @Detroit 4, Anaheim 1

Tuesday, May 12 @Anaheim 2, Detroit 1

Thursday, May 14 @Detroit 4, Anaheim 3

Round 1 Results:

Thursday, April 16 @Detroit 4, Columbus 1

Saturday, April 18 @Detroit 4, Columbus 0

Tuesday, April 21 Detroit 4, @Columbus 1

Thursday, April 23 Detroit 6, @Columbus 5

It's been a long season. A season of tribulation at times. I mean, twice we were spanked for 8 - couldn't seem to beat the Sharks when we needed to - let the conference slip away from us.

Ozzie gave me an ulcer - Happy had a breakout season - through it all we figured out a way to win 50, again. Some how we got to the finals, again.

Been a fun year - but a long one. If we lose the cup to Crosby's team It'll be an even longer off season.

I hope Ozzie wins the Conn Smythe this year - the only way that happens is a win tonight.

Bruce MacLeod - Red Wings Corner

Friday, June 12, 2009

Red Wings' Game 7 morning skate

It's an optional skate this morning for the Red Wings as they've been doing for most of the Stanley Cup final. On the ice are Johan Franzen, Tomas Holmstrom, Darren Helm, Mikael Samuelsson, Jiri Hudler, Kirk Maltby, Joantahn Ericsson, Brett Lebda and Chris Osgood along with the GR guys. No Mike Babcock either as is the norm for optional morning skates.

UPDATE: Babcock just said that he'd have no lineup changes for tonight. That means, the Wings will look something like this ...

Datsyuk-Zetterberg-Cleary

Franzen-Filppula-Hossa

Holmstrom-Helm-Samuelsson

Hudler-Draper-Maltby

Lidstrom-Rafalski

Kronwall-Stuart

Lebda-Ericsson

Osgood

Conklin

The Macomb Daily Blogs: Red Wings Corner

This is the most excited I've ever been about a wings game. I've watched all of the game sevens in the finals for the past few years and every year I find myself wishing the wings would get to play in one. In my mind there is not better game is sports than an NHL game seven. Aside from Hank being in Crosby's hip pocket for the entire game, Fil's line needs to keep Malkin in check. I fully anticipate some changes in the lines throughout the game for both teams. We saw the ZDH line reconnect last game and if Pitt starts pressing a bit, we'll be seeing Malkin and Crosby out there together. Should be the game of the decade for the wings and pens.

What an epic day this is going to be. One more workout to go for this guy and then I'm smoking some ribs and getting the drinking started a couple hours prior to the game.

Now I just need to decide whether to go with the tried and trusted Shanahan white jersey or the red Datsyuk jersey....game time decision.

Going downtown later on for the game. Already pumped, and can't wait 'til gametime. Here's a positive.....the last 6 home teams have won Game 7, and the home teams in Game 7 are 12-2 overall.

GO WINGS!!!!!

I was out and about earlier today (driving) Detroit metro & Flint areas, and couldn't help but notice all the Detroit Red Wing banners, car flags, signs and Red & Whites etc. being displayed.

One More Win !!!!!!!!

One More Win !!!!!!!!

One More Win !!!!!!!!

One More Win !!!!!!!!

One More Win !!!!!!!!

One More Win !!!!!!!!

One More Win !!!!!!!!

One More Win !!!!!!!!

Somewhat off-topic, but how much longer are we going to have to put up with the silly purple octopus? Nothing says Original Six franchise like a big purple octopus.

Well not sure where they came up with purple, but the Octopi is a Detroit tradition. It began at the Olympia in '52, the year the Wings swept both Toronto and Montreal (in the SCF) to win their fifth cup.

Bruce MacLeod - Red Wings Corner

Friday, June 12, 2009

Red Wings' Game 7 morning skate

It's an optional skate this morning for the Red Wings as they've been doing for most of the Stanley Cup final. On the ice are Johan Franzen, Tomas Holmstrom, Darren Helm, Mikael Samuelsson, Jiri Hudler, Kirk Maltby, Joantahn Ericsson, Brett Lebda and Chris Osgood along with the GR guys. No Mike Babcock either as is the norm for optional morning skates.

UPDATE: Babcock just said that he'd have no lineup changes for tonight. That means, the Wings will look something like this ...

Datsyuk-Zetterberg-Cleary

Franzen-Filppula-Hossa

Holmstrom-Helm-Samuelsson

Hudler-Draper-Maltby

Lidstrom-Rafalski

Kronwall-Stuart

Lebda-Ericsson

Osgood

Conklin

The Macomb Daily Blogs: Red Wings Corner

Gosh dangit. I would really like to see Abdelkader in Maltby's spot. I'd even take Leino there...

Oh well.

LET'S GO WINGS!!!

I thought this should be posted onto the GDT from a different thread ....

Well, its a little more than 3 hrs to game time & my decision is made. I've dawned my lucky #13 Slava Kozlov jersey (White on Red), and the drink for tonight will be Miller Lite (beer of Champions), and later some Margarita with Jose Curevo Premium Especial Tequila. Dinner is NY strip, baked potato (sour cream, with tossed salad (Italian dressing).

Shortly I will crack my first beer -----

Let the Journey big!

EDIT: And just as I post this I look to the top right hand corner. Note that its my 1,733d post. Adding the numbers I get a couple of 7s or 14 total. I also joined here July, 2007. Can't beat that!

GO WINGS - Win #12 TONIGHT!

Edited by skyguy52

My brother is hosting a Stanley Cup viewing party tonight at the crowded beach bar he owns in Nicaragua of all places. It's going to make him pretty busy to actually watch much of the game himself, but he says it will be good and loud.

Just over 2 hours left? Are we all getting that uneasy feeling in our stomachs yet?

Just over 2 hours left? Are we all getting that uneasy feeling in our stomachs yet?

I sure am. At first I attributed it not consuming much other than a coffee this morning, but I've grabbed a bite and gone for an hour nap and the feeling isn't exactly going away. Time marches on. I want gametime to get here, but on the other hand as it gets closer and closer I realize it will soon be time for the Wings to produce.

Well not sure where they came up with purple, but the Octopi is a Detroit tradition. It began at the Olympia in '52, the year the Wings swept both Toronto and Montreal (in the SCF) to win their fifth cup.

I'm aware of the tradition. But using a cartoon octopus as a mascot is not really in line with the tradition, if you ask me. I'm not saying I don't want to see sea creatures flying through the air anymore. I just don't think something from spongebob squarepants should be what people think about when they think about the red wings.

Can't wait for the game tonight! Having some friends over to watch the game, a little homemade pizza, and some tasty beverage....I really can't wait!

GO WINGS!!!!