Shinma

Red Wings positive karma for game 7 thread.

I feel ill and I know I am going to feel that way right up until game time on Friday. That said, all we have to do is keep holding serve. We'll have the better matchups and be able to contain them. I have a good feeling about the outcome.

I just see this as a chance for the Wings to add yet another accomplishment and memory:

- Win the Cup (check)

- See Yzerman hoist the Cup (check)

- Win the Cup at home (check)

- Win the Cup in a SCF sweep (check)

- Win an OT game in the SCF (check - Draper)

- Win the Cup on the road (check)

- Win back to back Cups (check)

- Win an OT game on the road in the SCF (check- vs Carolina)

- Win the Cup with a 3rd different goalie (check)

- Win the Cup in the post-salary cap era (check)

- Win the Cup with a European captain (check)

- Win the Cup with a European Conn Smythe winner (check)

- Win a Game 7 of the SCF (TBA - to be accomplished)

- Win a Game 7 of the SCF (TBA - to be accomplished)

1954, Tony Leswick scored in OT in game 7 to win the Cup for the Wings. That was at home too.

1954, Tony Leswick scored in OT in game 7 to win the Cup for the Wings. That was at home too.

Yes, for sure. I was thinking more of this "in my lifetime" era.

1950 was won by the Wings at home in OT of Game 7 as well. I always like this clip of Pete Babando's goal, because it seems to pick up a split second after the puck goes in the net. It's as if they had limited power for the camera so couldn't film the entire OT but switched it on as soon as they knew a goal had been scored.

YouTube - Detroit Red Wings win the 1950 Cup over the NY Rangers

Without looking it up right now, has a road team won game 7 on the road in the finals?

Without looking it up right now, has a road team won game 7 on the road in the finals?

Montreal, 1971 def. Chicago at Chicago Stadium in game 7.

Ok, some info:

In Detroit's 22 Stanley Cup finals, 7 have gone to game 7, or the last possible game. The results:

1937 - Def Rangers (Best of 5) at home

1950 - Def Rangers at home (2OT)

1954 - Def Canadiens at home (OT)

1955 - Def Canadians at home

1942 - Lost to Maple Leafs on road

1945 - Lost to Maple Leafs at home

1964 - Lost to Maple Leafs on road

Overall, the team is 11-22 in the Finals. Let's get over the .500 mark on Friday.

Not in OT. But 2 of 14 times the road team has won Game 7. The most recent being the Habs in 1971 over Chicago on Henri Richard's rush goal after Tony Esposito's gaffe on a Lemaire shot from just inside center ice let the Habs back into the game.

The two Game 7s I remember are 1987 Oilers-Flyers (Oilers had only a 1-goal lead until a slapshot goal from the blueline with about 3 minutes to go iced up) and 1994 Canucks-Rangers (Rangers always seemed in control, but Linden played the game of his life with 2 goals and the Canucks did hit the post with 5 minutes to go). The ones in this decade (Ducks-Devils '03, Flames-Lightning '04, Oilers-Canes '06) were mostly close but didn't capture my imagination due to the teams involved.

I kinda like the design this year on the hats. Maybe I will buy a red one.

More Game 7 stuff:

4 Red Wings have a chance to win 1 for the thumb - USATODAY.com

In the last 30 years, only one team in major American pro sports has won a Game 7 on the road: the 1979 Pirates. Led by Hall of Famer Willie Stargell, they won the World Series not only by winning Game 7 in Baltimore, but Game 6 as well.

Since the Pirates pulled that off, road teams are 0-18 in Game 7s in the World Series, NBA finals and Stanley Cup finals. Super Bowls don't count because no team has played one in its home stadium.

In the NHL, the last six finals Game 7s were won by the home team. Only two road teams have won in 14 Game 7s: Montreal in 1971 and Toronto in 1945. Montreal was the only other team to pull off what the Penguins are attempting to accomplish by winning Game 7 after losing the first two games on the road.

The Penguins are 4-0 in road Game 7s in any playoff round, but this is their first finals Game 7. They are 6-4 overall in Game 7s, 2-4 at home.

Most memorable NHL Stanley Cup Final game Sevens.

Toronto Maple Leafs vs. Detroit Red Wings, 1945 Stanley Cup Final | Seventh Heaven: The Most Memorable Game Sevens in Stanley Cup Final History

The 1945 finals saw the Maple Leafs beat the Red Wings in Game 7 at The Olympia with a score of 2-1. The Red Wings won the first 3 games of the series only to lose the next 4.

Edit: Click through the slide show in the link for seven of the most memorable SCF game 7s.

Edited by skyguy52

Here's a non-Wings clip that is still helpful for getting into the Game 7 spirit, as if we need the help.

It's legendary announcer Jim Robson's "HE WILL PLAY" call of the final minute of the Canucks' Game 6 victory over the NY Rangers to force a Game 7 in 1994. Linden had just been suckered by Messier and was shaken up and had to crawl to the bench. But as Jim Robson described the final 15 seconds:

But there is going to be that 7th game. We'll hope they can patch Linden up and get him in that one. He will play. You know he will play. He'll play on crutches. He will play. And he will play at Madison Square Garden ... on Tuesday night. The game is over.

The fan sliding across the ice as the game ends is pretty memorable as well.

Here's a non-Wings clip that is still helpful for getting into the Game 7 spirit, as if we need the help.

It's legendary announcer Jim Robson's "HE WILL PLAY" call of the final minute of the Canucks' Game 6 victory over the NY Rangers to force a Game 7 in 1994. Linden had just been suckered by Messier and was shaken up and had to crawl to the bench. But as Jim Robson described the final 15 seconds:

The fan sliding across the ice as the game ends is pretty memorable as well.

You know, I didnt start watching hockey til 1995, and that was the first time in my life I have seen that clip. The Fan running onto the ice is one of the funniest things ive ever seen in a hockey game! Good Stuff!

Four hockey fans are mountain climbing.

Each climber happens to be a rabid fan of a different NHL team.

As they climb higher and higher, they argue more and more about which of them is the most loyal to their particular team. Finally, as they reach the summit, the climber from Chicago takes a running leap and throws himself off the mountain, yelling, 'This is for the Chicago Black Hawks.'

Not wanting to be outdone, the climber from St. Louis throws himself off the mountain, shouting, 'This is for the St. Louis Blues!'

Seeing this, the Detroit climber walks to the edge and yells, 'This is for hockey fans everywhere!' and pushes the fan from Pittsburgh off.

The question is, "Do I have a 'God Complex'?

Which makes me wonder if this 'sports caster' has any idea as to the kind of skills one has to have in the minors, in Sweden to get drafted

into the NHL in 1989.

Or if you have the vaguest clue as to how talented someone has be to be the captain of the Detroit Red Wings.

I have four Stanley Cup rings, been selected to the all-star game 11 times, a Conn Smythe win, and a gold medal. Also I am never, ever sick at

sea.

So I ask you, when a fan goes into their shrine and they fall on their knees and they pray to God that their team brings home Stanley in Game

7, or that Crosby and Malkin are shut down, who do you think they're praying to? Now, you go ahead and read your Bible, and you go to

your church and with any luck you might win the annual raffle. But if you're looking for God, he will be in Joe Louis Arena on June 12th, and

he doesn't like to be second guessed.

You ask me if I have a God complex?

Let me tell you something:

I AM GOD.

Oooh, low blow by Bill Guerin at a Pittsburgh BBQ house earlier today. I'd say that's negative Penguins karma, which means positive Wings karma.

ept_sports_nhl_experts-378326286-1244751782.jpg?ymmuvZBDKSM5UKC8

I had a fortune cookie today that said "You will have much to be thankful for in the coming year" and my first lucky number was 7.

Thats fortune cookie Karma.