jake

Glavine?

My initial thoughts: Sign him and here's my reasoning. The guy will throw strikes in Comerica Park. And that's an improvement over what we have now. 2ndly, he's lefthanded and he'd pitch to our strengths: Infield defense. With him throwing, Inge, Everett/Santiago, and Polanco will get lots of work. And lastly, Glavine will be in a new league. He's pitched 20 years in the NL and the hitter's over there still haven't adjusted. I think pitching in the AL to hitters who've never seen him could buy him at least one good year. Sign him up.

I say sign him.

Bonderman is not himself yet, and I have doubts he'll be a suitable starter this year. He can't even throw his fastball with any speed.

Willis is toast in my opinion. The Tigers have tried and lost with him. He's been back to the minors twice. He can't throw strikes. His speed is down. He has no control over the simplest pitches.

We need a starter who can throw strikes. Glavine could be a welcome surprise.

He [bonderman] can't even throw his fastball with any speed.

So your solution is to get Tom Glavine?

So your solution is to get Tom Glavine?

...who won 300-plus games with basically no speed on his fastball?

I'm not saying Glavine is anywhere near his former self. The question is: Is he better than what we'll run out there every 5th day?

It's not a dead bang yes or no either way, but I think it's a worthy question to raise.

His FIPs for the last two seasons: 4.86, 6.02. No. He's not better than anyone on the staff other than Willis.

Tyrus: I understand that Glavine won 300 games. It's just funny that someone said Bonderman has no speed on his fastball, so let's go get a guy who throws less hard.

given the choice between a Miner start and a Glavine start, I would take Miner each and every day and twice on Sunday.

If you want to talk about FA pitchers, Paul Byrd is a better idea than Glavine.

5.54 ERA, 1.64 WHIP 1/1 K/BB ratio in the NL East last year, now he's not only a year older but coming off an elbow injury

no thanks

Why..how did that Kenny Rogers thing work out in 2008.

How'd it work out in 2006? Should we keep sending Willis out there? I still say sign Glavine. A soft tossing lefty could complement our hard throwers. The ball park is a good match. The left side of the infield is a good match. The fact we have nobody else . . . unless you think Bonderman is the answer like you thought Willis was. Glavine was bad last year because of an injury. Glavine is a 300 game winner who could get outs on experience alone.

Tom Glavine Statistics and History - Baseball-Reference.com

How'd it work out in 2006? Should we keep sending Willis out there? I still say sign Glavine. A soft tossing lefty could complement our hard throwers. The ball park is a good match. The left side of the infield is a good match. The fact we have nobody else . . . unless you think Bonderman is the answer like you thought Willis was. Glavine was bad last year because of an injury. Glavine is a 300 game winner who could get outs on experience alone.

In 2006 Kenny still had good stuff, as he stated to decline you saw what happened. Glavine is no different if you look at things like FIP, WHIP, BABIP, K/BB ratio over the past three season they are all getting worse for him because he is getting older and doesn't have the stuff he once did. Also, keep in mind all this was happened in the NL, a much easier league to pitch in. Glavine would be a lot like Kenny was last year if you brought him in....there is a reason the braves cut him.

I also think Bonderman is about 189374834278508 times more likely to be a good pitcher for the tigers than Glavine.

Nolan Ryan is still alive by the way, and a 300 game winner, maybe he'd like to pitch for Detroit.

Hell let's bring in Whitey Ford..if age doesn't deteriorate your stuff..he 81..

Even in 07, when he was healthy enough to pitch 200 innings, he only posted a 4.45 ERA in a weaker league, and that was 2 whole years ago. His K/BB ratio that year was 1.39; that's Zach Miner quality. And that was before a surgery that he had in his 40s. Getting outs on experience alone is just a ridiculous concept. If that were possible, Kenny Rogers would still be here.

I would take the following pitchers, not in the rotation but available to be in it right now, over Glavine:

Miner

Bonderman

Lucas French

Brooks Brown

Paul Byrd

Odalis Perez

Pedro Martinez