Tyrus

Is this team better than the 2006 squad?

I am trying to remember who hit third for the 2006 team. Anybody recall? If I remember correctly, Maggs hit 4th and Guillen hit 5th. That 2006 season seemed like it had a lot of guys who had a career year, or at least close to it. That probably is not going to happen this season.

Guillen and Ordonez are going to be the determining factors on how good our lineup is this season. If they don't get healthy and produce, we are going to struggle to score runs all year. However, I still like the pitching on this team a lot better. Verlander gives us a Beckett/Hamels type ace for the postseason. We did not have that in '06.

I think Kenny Rogers performed quite well that postseason!

I am trying to remember who hit third for the 2006 team. Anybody recall? If I remember correctly, Maggs hit 4th and Guillen hit 5th.

I really want to say Pudge hit 3rd.... but not anywhere near certain.

2006 you had a still productive Carlos guillen playing a good shortstop and was a masher at the plate. 2006 Guillen at short is much better then santigo\evertt. 06 you had a still powerful Maggs. That is a huge upgrade from the 09 version of maggs. I don't think it's a slump either. I think he is getting old and 25hrs and 40 doubles for maggs is no longer possible. You had a very hot craig Monroe on that 2006 team! Monroe completely blows away anything we have had in left this year. Monroe was amazing in 06. Polanco is older and not as good. I think Granderson is better now and inge is a wash. The huge upgrade is Caberara! 06 pudge is better than laird. Rotation. Verlander is better now. Bonderman huge ? Jackson or 06 Kenny Rogers? Rogers. Nate Robertson or Porcello? Porcello. Bullpen. 06 jones, 06 zoom, and Jamie Walker are better the 09 rodney, zoom and bobby seay. Overall 06 team is 15 wins better. But we are in a winnable division and anything can happen in the playoffs. Remember the 06 cards! beating us with jeff weaver and jeff suppan and Antony Reyes!.

C Pudge or Larid? 2006 better

1B Chris Shelton/Sean Casey or Cabrera? 2009 better

2B Polanco or Polanco? 2006 better

SS Guillen or Everett? 2006 better

3B Inge or Inge? Push

LF Monroe or Thomas/Anderson/Guillen? 2006 better

Cf Granderson or Granderson? 2009 better

RF Maggs or Maggs? 2006 better

DH Thames/Young or Larish/Raburn? 2006 better

Overall OPS of 2006 .777 or Overall OPS of 2009 .769? 2006 better

Rotation? Push

Bullpen? 2006

Overall Pitching: K/BB 2006 was 2.05 and K/BB 2009 is 2.09

I agree with most of this, except:

2006 Polanco vs. 2009 Polanco.

2006 Polanco was pretty ineffective at the plate. He also got injured after about 110 games, which meant, bum...bum...bum, Neifi Perez being acquired to play 2nd base.

I think the 2009 version of Polanco is better to much better defensively, and I suspect will be pretty similar offensively after 100 games. If Polanco does not get hurt in 2009, I suspect his contributions at 2B will exceed his and Neifi's contributions in 2006.

Other than Rod Allen, I don't think I've ever seen the words amazing and Craig Monroe in the same sentence before.

Other than Rod Allen, I don't think I've ever seen the words amazing and Craig Monroe in the same sentence before.

His .301 OBP was amazingly bad...

I agree with most of this, except:

2006 Polanco vs. 2009 Polanco.

2006 Polanco was pretty ineffective at the plate. He also got injured after about 110 games, which meant, bum...bum...bum, Neifi Perez being acquired to play 2nd base.

I think the 2009 version of Polanco is better to much better defensively, and I suspect will be pretty similar offensively after 100 games. If Polanco does not get hurt in 2009, I suspect his contributions at 2B will exceed his and Neifi's contributions in 2006.

You are absolutely correct. I did that comparison thing from memory, and I didn't remember him being so bad. I guess it got lost in the fast start and general dominance. He was incredibly bad that year. It's not even close. He'll have to try really hard to be worse than he was in 2006.

2006 you had a still productive Carlos guillen playing a good shortstop and was a masher at the plate. 2006 Guillen at short is much better then santigo\evertt. 06 you had a still powerful Maggs. That is a huge upgrade from the 09 version of maggs. I don't think it's a slump either. I think he is getting old and 25hrs and 40 doubles for maggs is no longer possible. You had a very hot craig Monroe on that 2006 team! Monroe completely blows away anything we have had in left this year. Monroe was amazing in 06. Polanco is older and not as good. I think Granderson is better now and inge is a wash. The huge upgrade is Caberara! 06 pudge is better than laird. Rotation. Verlander is better now. Bonderman huge ? Jackson or 06 Kenny Rogers? Rogers. Nate Robertson or Porcello? Porcello. Bullpen. 06 jones, 06 zoom, and Jamie Walker are better the 09 rodney, zoom and bobby seay. Overall 06 team is 15 wins better. But we are in a winnable division and anything can happen in the playoffs. Remember the 06 cards! beating us with jeff weaver and jeff suppan and Antony Reyes!.

Craig Monroe wasn't all that good in 2006.

His OPS+ was 99, which was just a hair below league average, and he played left field, a position where an OPS+ of 99 is considered below average to poor. What is worse his his OPS was propped up largely by his slugging, wich was a very respectable 0.482. Craig's OBP in 2006 was 0.301, which was downright horrible. It is hard to overstate how bad that OBP is, and he played a hitter's position.

On balance, it is entirely possible - perhaps probable - that the Tigers can at least match Craig's production in left field in 2009. As of now, Josh Anderson and Clete Thomas combine for an OPS+ of a little above 90. Given their defensive contributions and baserunning, they can make up for that 9 point shortfall in OPS (relative to Monroe). If Guillen can play left and hit near what he has in the past, he will certainly be better than Monroe.

You are absolutely correct. I did that comparison thing from memory, and I didn't remember him being so bad. I guess it got lost in the fast start and general dominance. He was incredibly bad that year. It's not even close. He'll have to try really hard to be worse than he was in 2006.

He is sure as hell giving it a go this season.

He is sure as hell giving it a go this season.

Indeed.

2006 2B OPS .698

2009 2B OPS .723

Edited by Shelton

The only reason I remember is I had a mini-debate over email with my chums about Polanco in 2006 that ran on and off for something like 3 weeks. At that time I lived in Japan, and couldn't watch any baseball games. I kept arguing how unimpressive Polanco's batting numbers were, and they countered that since I couldn't watch him play, I couldn't judge him fairly.

Perhaps they were right, but his offensive numbers were still pretty poor in 2006.

The only reason I remember is I had a mini-debate over email with my chums about Polanco in 2006 that ran on and off for something like 3 weeks. At that time I lived in Japan, and couldn't watch any baseball games. I kept arguing how unimpressive Polanco's batting numbers were, and they countered that since I couldn't watch him play, I couldn't judge him fairly.

Perhaps they were right, but his offensive numbers were still pretty poor in 2006.

Actually, I seem to remember arguing about clutch hitting with a friend at the beginning of the 2007 season, and he was saying that "Polanco is clutch" and I was saying that "Polanco WAS clutch" but don't count on it lasting.

I'm guessing his "clutch" numbers that year obscured the fact that his overall numbers weren't.

I remember primarily because I spent most of the Summer complaining about him taking ABs from Infante. When he got hurt, I was very happy that Infante would begin getting the bulk of the PT. Then they played a game in Texas, Infante made a costly error, and two or three days later they went out and got Neifi and it was all over. This made me very upset, and continues to do so to this day.

Infante never turned out to be as good as I hoped overall (although now that he's hitting his prime it appears he's beginning to get there), but that specific season he was the better option at 2B.